Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
TOM-4319

Luxo, Jr.
Reply with quote  #1 
Hey guys haven't posted in here in awhile but I just wanted to share the news that Coco has a co-director and writer in Adrian Molina. This was confirmed today by a tweet from Lee Unkrich, director of Coco, on his personal twitter account (@leeunkrich) saying this, "Adrian Molina is not only my co-director on , he's currently serving as the film's writer!" As far as I know this is the first we're hearing of Adrian Molina's involvement in the film.

In addition (and I don't know if I'm thinking of the right Adrian Molina) but Adrian Molina has been a story artist a Pixar since Toy Story 3 if I remember correctly. His work can be seen in the Toy Story 3 Art of book (the storyboards of the great Ken dress up sequence.) I have also seen an animatic of his from his college days at CalArts that is on youtube somewhere that involves unicorns and narwhals fighting in the clouds, but I have no idea how to find that. Anyway just wanted to get the information out there. What does everyone think about this?
TOM-4319

Luxo, Jr.
Reply with quote  #2 
In addition to the information I posted above Adrian Molina also animated the 2D animated intro sequence in Monsters University!
Bonnie

Pizza Planet Truck Driver
Reply with quote  #3 
Couldn't find the unicorn narwhal thing, but I did find this;

Which is...nice. I kind of feel like it had a great parody setup and then didn't actually feel like a parody through most of it. 

Also found this on his IMDB page;
Quote:

Monsters University (additional screenplay material) / (opening title designer and director) 

I...might need to be seriously concerned depending on what "additional screenplay material" means.

Edit: Found the narwal thing.

Unfortunately it had its sound muted, so can't really judge the writing there (I didn't watch it, clearly there was a lot of lost dialogue and I feel like I'm missing too much).
ReptilePatrol

Senior Wilderness Explorer
Reply with quote  #4 
His resume isn't exactly the largest, though I see on Lee Unkrich's Twitter that in a separate tweet he called Molina "mega-talented" and he also got a big shoutout from Gravity Falls' (!!!) Matt Braly (https://twitter.com/radrappy/status/723639680584003585) so that's looking pretty promising!

The way Unkrich worded his tweet made it sound like Molina will be Coco's only screenwriter, however. I think only five Pixar films have had only a single screenwriter (usually there's at least two if not a whole battalion), and the two that weren't written and directed singlehandedly by Brad Bird are Toy Story 3 (written by Michael Arndt), Cars 2 (Ben Queen), and The Good Dinosaur (Meg LeFauve). Interestingly, TS3 was also directed by Unkrich while Cars 2 and TGD are generally considered weaker Pixar efforts. And in none of those instances was the screenwriter also the co-director, so there's definitely an interesting setup going on here with Coco! Unkrich did a fantastic job directing Toy Story 3 even though he only had story credit for writing, and I've got my fingers crossed that he'll do the same for Coco. And I'm guessing Unkrich is going to get story credit for Coco (I don't believe there is a single Pixar film where a director has received neither story nor screenplay credit as well, though someone correct me if I'm wrong) though I haven't found *official* confirmation of that yet.
Pixar Post - T.J.

Forum Owner
Reply with quote  #5 
We're starting to piece together a nice group for who will be working on the film. Lee first noted (we summarized in our post), on April 6, that Danielle Feinberg would be the DOP-Lighting on the film as well. 

So we know...

Director - Lee Unkrich
Producer - Darla Anderson
Consultant/Writer - Lalo Alcaraz - Role is not totally clear, but we assume he was a consultant on the film since he's still working on outside projects as well. But, his Twitter lists him as a writer of the film as well...so looks like he'll be the outside writer they brought in on the project.
Co-Director / Writer - Adrian Molina
Director of Photography - Lighting - Danielle Feinberg
Character Designer - Daniel Arriaga 
Supervising Animators - Gini Santos, Mike Venturini
Animators - Eliza Ivanova, Dovi Anderson & Gwen Enderoglu

Arlo

Senior Wilderness Explorer
Reply with quote  #6 
Wow TJ, thanks! This gives us a better idea of who exactly is working on the project! Kind of worried about Cars 3, though, I mean we are getting all these announcements about everybody working on Coco, yet Cars 3 comes out 5 months before and we have no word on who's doing what, except for John Lasseter executive producing the film, a screenplay written by Robert L. Baird and Dan Gerson (Rest in Peace), and a score composed by Randy Newman. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I feel like Cars 3 could possibly be delayed. But anyways regarding the roles of people working on Coco-I'm very happy that Mike Venturini (from The Good Dinosaur) is returning, I'm a big fan of his work, so it's great to see that he is coming back to another Pixar project. Also the following is just a rumor-but a couple years back a rumor was going around that Coco (then titled The Untitled Pixar Movie About Dia De Los Muertos) was going to be Pixar's very first musical, apparently it was leaked by Randy Newman in an exclusive interview. So could Coco be Pixar's first musical? I could definitely see it being a musical. And does this mean that Randy Newman is scoring Coco? Again, these are just rumors, but it is interesting to think about what new things Coco could bring to the Pixar table. 
Pixar Post - T.J.

Forum Owner
Reply with quote  #7 
Hey Arlo,

Just to pass along the details of the articles you were referencing...here is the article about Coco potentially being a musical. In it, Randy mentions that he's not the one scoring it, but that people are working on the film. There was also a rumor floating out there for a while that John Debney was working on the project (here's a link to that article)...but that's still unconfirmed and was only mentioned on IMDb (now removed).

It certainly could be a musical based on the topic (with it's celebratory nature, bright colors and instrumentation which accompanies the festival)...but we'll have to wait and see I guess. 
Pixar Post - T.J.

Forum Owner
Reply with quote  #8 
Adrian-Molina-Variety-top-10-animators-Pixar-Post.jpg 

Some more great news for Adrian - he was recently named one of the top 10 animators to watch in 2016 via Variety - check out our post summarizing the news! This was similar to last year when Josh Cooley was named to the 2015 list...which is actually where it was broke that he was co-directing Toy Story 4.

Kris Wise

Luxo, Jr.
Reply with quote  #9 
this has been my all-time favorite youtube video. I was struck when Youtube took down the sound. I've kept up with different sources of its original audio. Here is one of the last left that i know of. I've also saved it for myself in case the internet lost it for good.

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_mrdsyg3Rxk1qmhd8j.mp4

Source post

Pixar Post - T.J.

Forum Owner
Reply with quote  #10 
Welcome to the forums, Kris! Nice work keeping tabs on a source of the video with the audio still intact! 
CanadianPixarFan

Alec Azam
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixar Post - T.J.

It certainly could be a musical based on the topic (with it's celebratory nature, bright colors and instrumentation which accompanies the festival)...but we'll have to wait and see I guess. 

It could very well be a musical. FROZEN was never marketed as a musical until after it's release because they thought audiences would have less interest in going to see a musical. Maybe they will go the same route and surprise us with it being a musical. Musical or not, music will obviously be a big part of the story. I can actually see it very well being a Justified Musical.

A Justified Musical is when the Characters have a logical reason to be singing, rather than spontaneously breaking into song at key plot points (I don't mean to sound like I'm criticising standard musicals, I LOVE musicals). An example of a Justified Musical is when the Characters have a logical reason to be singing, rather than spontaneously breaking into song at key plot points (I don't want to sound like I'm criticising standard musicals, I LOVE musicals). An example of a popular Justified Musical is the Broadway show Jersey Boys, about the real band Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons. All the music in this show is justified because the band is either performing a show-within-a-show, recording in a stuido, or rehearsing. Since music is a big part of that holiday, it wouldn't surprise me if Coco took this approach to being a musical, or even just to sneak in a few catchy songs this way. Either way, time well tell and I am excited.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
http://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
http://www.pixarpost.com/
http://www.pixarpost.com/
http://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy