Pixar Post - T.J.
Hey gang - we wanted to start a new topic to chat about Finding Dory during the upcoming awards season. Discuss below...

A surprise happened this morning as Finding Dory was omitted from the Best Animated Film category at the 2017 Golden Globes. Below is what we wrote in our final paragraph of the post - we think it summarizes our thoughts on the snub. (read more details on today's news and the history of Pixar at the Golden Globes here.)

Pixar Post wrote: It seems very surprising the film wouldn't at least get a nomination solely on the strength and popularity that a Billion dollars in box office revenue brings — and that's not even factoring in the technical achievements which were accomplished on the film. The more we process this, the more baffling it becomes. In any regard, congratulations to the Finding Dory team on a wildly popular film and luckily all their hard work can still be recognized by many upcoming award shows and voting committees.
So, what are your thoughts - why was the film not included and how do you think the film will hold up at for upcoming awards (e.g., Oscars, BAFTA's, etc.)?
Quote 0 0
Sally
I feel bad for Pixar, because they went through so much to make this film, but I'm happy for the rest of the films (I'm surprised Sing got nominated when it barely hasn't even come out yet)

I have a theory: I think Zootopia will win, because:

1. Since Frozen, I think every Disney film that is their animated originals will be overcoming (Oscars including)

2. The message of the film, since it dealt with prejudice and racism, and it came out in a time where the nation was about to vote and at a time where tension between stereotypical was breaking down

3. Finding Dory kinda felt overlooked because
It kinda came out too late (my opinion)

I'll talk about the live action films later because there are so much to talk, but for now this will be
Quote 1 0
ReptilePatrol
I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but Finding Dory's awards run is likely over at this point. The snub is disappointing but not surprising to me. It might snag up some minor awards and a BAFTA nomination if it's lucky, but the Annie Awards snubs and now the Golden Globes snub have hurt its Oscar chances, which have been looking slim for a while now.

Disney is also well aware of this, having bumped Zootopia up to a Best Picture run (previously a Pixar exclusive with WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3, and Inside Out) and focusing heavily on music categories for Moana, meaning Finding Dory won't be receiving much campaign resources from Disney either.

In more exciting news, other than Zootopia getting a Best Picture push, GKIDS' My Life As A Zucchini got nominated for a Golden Globe! GKIDS deals exclusively in foreign art house features, which have garnered it 8 Oscar nominations in the past seven years — but the Golden Globes, which lean heavily towards mainstream, American-produced films, have always snubbed them. Zucchini's GG nomination is indicative that it may be GKIDS' strongest contender yet — and that's saying something considering GKIDS has put out 8 Oscar nominated films since 2009 — as well as Finding Dory's own weakness, considering it lost here despite having the contest skewed heavily in its favor. Alternatively, you could interpret Sing as the film that edged out Dory, which wouldn't be unsurprising. I haven't seen either Zucchini or Sing, but their awards creds and reviews speak volumes already — Zucchini swept both top prizes at Annecy as well as the European Film Award for Best Animated Feature (effectively the top three most prestigious European animation awards), while Sing boasts a paltry 67% on Metacritic. Of course, this is all theoretical — the Globes, like other awards bodies, keep the nomination vote tallies secret. But given the inclusion of Sing, Finding Dory's miss must have been very close.

I'll comment on the live-action nominations once I look at them more closely.

My Oscar predications for Best Animated Feature, taking into account the Annies and Globes:

Frontrunners:
1) Zootopia
2) Kubo and the Two Strings
3) My Life as a Zucchini

On the bubble:
4) The Red Turtle
5) Moana
6) Your Name

Potential upsets:
7) Miss Hokusai
8) The Little Prince
9) Long Way North
10) Kung Fu Panda 3
11) April and the Extraordinary World
12) Mune: Guardian of the Moon
13) Finding Dory
14) Sing
15) Sausage Party

Of course, it's also important to keep in mind that the Golden Globes do not have a category for Best Animated Short Film. Over there, I'm fully confident that Piper will be scoring big.
Quote 1 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
ReptilePatrol wrote: ...but the Annie Awards snubs
Just to be clear, you're talking about the fact that Finding Dory was overlooked in a lot of categories for the Annie Awards, right? Just wanted to note that it was nominated for Best Animated Feature, Character Development and Storyboarding. I know what you're getting at (assuming I'm correct) but just wanted to make sure we're one the same page.

Great insights, gang!
Quote 1 0
ReptilePatrol
Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:
Just to be clear, you're talking about the fact that Finding Dory was overlooked in a lot of categories for the Annie Awards, right? Just wanted to note that it was nominated for Best Animated Feature, Character Development and Storyboarding. I know what you're getting at (assuming I'm correct) but just wanted to make sure we're one the same page.

Great insights, gang!

Yes that is correct, sorry if I was unclear. Just last year Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur scored fourteen and ten nominations respectively, so to go from that to three nominations for Finding Dory is a considerable decline. By "snubs" I mean categories where Pixar films (such as the aforementioned Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur) are usually nominated, but for which Finding Dory was not.

However, I do not mean to dismiss the significance of the film's three nominations — Erick Oh and Trevor Jiminez's nominations were well deserved, and of course the entire crew worked hard to deliver the film's best feature nomination. And plenty of great films only score 3 nominations, with Boy and the World and The Tale of The Princess Kaguya being notable examples just off the top of my head — the number of Annie nominations bears little correlation to actual quality, simply due to the voting process and the politicization of ASIFA-Hollywood. But what is interesting here though, are the trends that can be seen across all the precursor awards bodies — Finding Dory is finding a lukewarm reception everywhere, and this will likely translate over to a lukewarm Oscars reception.

In regards to what you mentioned about Dory's box office figures, I'm actually glad that hasn't been taken into account by the precursor awards. When it comes to celebrating artistic achievement, it's important that every film gets an equal playing field; awards should be based on merit, not popularity, and popular/blockbuster films shouldn't be able to buy their way through the awards. Of course, DreamWorks allegedly tried this when Kung Fu Panda swept the Annies the year everybody else went for WALL-E, which goes back to what I said about the politicization of ASIFA-Hollywood.

Anyhow, I think Finding Dory's relatively weak performance this year is likely more indicative of the intense competition it is facing, rather than any shortcomings in the film itself. A record-breaking 27 animated features are in Oscar contention, WDAS and Laika are having their best year yet, and GKIDS has a record 5 films this year. Just last year there was only 16 films in contention, no WDAS or Laika at all, and only three GKIDS features. So while Finding Dory's weak performance is of course disappointing, I think it's worth celebrating that this is due to the quality of the other films it is competing against. I, for one, simply cannot wait to see My Life as a Zucchini.
Quote 0 0
PixarsBiggestFan
Since Finding Dory was omitted from Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature (very unfortunately), I'm hoping Zootopia will win that award, Moana being the second preference. And it better not be Sing that wins because it's from the studio that ripped off Toy Story (The Secret Life of Pets) and makes really annoying films (Despicanle Me 1 & 2/Minions, Secret Life of Pets, and Sing) (the studio I just described is Illimunition).
Quote 0 0
Luis504170
It's surprising, but at the same time understandable. 

As an individual who loves film in general (I want to pursue film) I see many, many films in theaters. This year I saw around 60 something. As much as I loved in Finding Dory, it is in my opinion, the underdog here.  For me the best animated film of the year was Moana, followed by Kubo, then Zootopia, and then maybe Finding Dory. (I haven't seen the independent releases yet) 

I'm perfectly fine with Finding Dory not wining as I'm a strong believer in fairness regardless of my personal choices (my heart is always with Pixar) so It wouldn't feel right if I hoped Finding Dory wins, because I strongly believe that the other 3 were superior films. Pixar isn't going to release the absolute best animated film every year, and this year is one of those exceptions.  (I still loved Finding Dory) 

So that's my two cents on the topic. 
Quote 0 0
CanadianPixarFan
I was surprised. Considering that Good Dino got a Golden Globe nomination last year, I thought Finding Dory would definitely get one. It might still get an Oscar Nom but there's no guarantee. That being said, I don't think it needs to get nominations. People are still going to watch and remember the film no matter what.
Quote 0 0
PixarsBiggestFan
I'm also very surprised about Finding Dory not being selected. Maybe a reason was because the voters thought Zootopia & Moana were superior, and didn't want 3 Disney films as nominations now the same category.
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
For those of you who haven't heard yet, My Life as a Zucchini recently made the Oscar shortlist for Best Foreign Language Film, despite being touted as an underdog this whole time. Compared to the rest of the now significantly reduced competition, as well as the removal of strong films such as France's Elle or Chile's Neruda from Oscar consideration, Zucchini and now has good chances to perhaps become the first animated film in history to score Oscar nominations in both Best Animated Feature and Best Foreign Language Film.

If you've been wondering how Zucchini made it in at the Golden Globes, despite the Globes being extremely biased towards mainstream computer animated blockbusters, perhaps this should speak to the strength of the film — and the competition at large as well.

In regards to what PixarsBiggestFan said, Zootopia and Moana have indeed been receiving much better critical reception than Finding Dory, which doesn't bode well for Pixar if awards voters regard the three computer animated films as similar. If they want to have a diverse set of nominees, they'll be motivated to only select a few computer animated films, to ensure room for other types of films — such as the stop-motion film Kubo and the Two Strings. So if they want to choose only two of the three Disney releases, Finding Dory is unfortunately probably first out the door, mainly because it's a sequel and because people haven't resonated with it as well as they have for WDAS' original films.

The only nominee that's puzzling me is Sing, which hasn't had reception as warm as the other films. To be fair, the Golden Globes are decided by the HFPA, not by critics, so I'll have to see the film when it comes out in a couple of weeks to judge for myself.
Quote 0 0
Vellerie
Yeah, Finding Dory simply had some stiff competition this year. It's a good film, but it seems both critically and audience-wise Zootopia and Moana have gotten more attention. Personally, I think Zootopia is the superior film and that Moana and Finding Dory are on par with one another, but it seems that common consensus is that Moana is a great film. Eh, but we always have conflicting viewpoints with awards, don't we?
Quote 0 0
Vellerie
Anyone else keeping up with the Golden Globes? No Dory this year; I was meh towards Dory so I'm not too bothered, except that Sing is there instead (not too crazy about that). But I'm deeply interested in which movie will win.
Quote 0 0
PixarsBiggestFan
I'm not watching it, but I just googled for best animated feature. Zootopia won (which is what I was hoping for since there weren't any Pixar films)!
Quote 0 0
Vellerie
Yay, I'm super stoked! Zootopia was definitely my favorite of the year, and I was resigned to the fact that Moana, which I like less, would win. But it didn't!
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
I was rooting for My Life as a Zucchini to mix things up, but Zootopia's a decent, albeit standard, choice. Standard as in, it's not surprising, given the Globes' preference for mainstream, popular choices.

I'm guessing it partly might be how its message ironically holds more relevance now, after the US Presidential election, than it did at the time of the film's release, back in March. And liberal-leaning Hollywood has been responding accordingly: elsewhere last night, Moonlight won Best Motion Picture — Drama, Atlanta won Best Television Series — Musical or Comedy, and a variety of actors of colors also won acting prizes in both film and television categories.

Still rooting for Finding Dory at the Annies, and Piper at the Oscars [smile]
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
http://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
http://www.pixarpost.com/
http://www.pixarpost.com/
http://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy