Karthik Murali
Hello,

Ever since I saw the inside out trailer, it seemed like a rip off of this short film that came out years ago. Instead of 4 or 5 characters, it has only 2. That sort of makes it more direct and to the point while Inside Out is a little more complicated. If I had made this video I know I would surely be pissed off with Pixar. What do you think?

Quote 1 0
ReptilePatrol
Actually, since Inside Out was announced as the Untitled Pixar Movie That Takes You Inside the Mind way back in 2011, way before this student film which was released in 2013 (and since it's a student film, I'm guessing that production started in 2012 at the earliest?), I'd say this is probably more of a ripoff than Inside Out.

However, one can't call one a ripoff of the other just because they share a core concept, of going inside the mind. Inside Out deals with emotions, whereas this film, although similar, is very distinctly different.

They most likely started this knowing that Pixar had something similar up their sleeves - animation students typically pay attention to the news in the animation industry, right? Of course, this is speculative, given that this is a student film and given Pixar announced Inside Out in 2011. Who knows, perhaps they had already developed the idea before Pete Docter did in 2009. But definitely not a ripoff given the circumstances.

Welcome to the forums btw! [smile]
Quote 1 0
Bonnie
This short was beat out by a good twenty something years by the Disney World attraction Cranium Command, which focused on little people in charge of your body (the film's director actually worked on this attraction). It was also beat out, though to a lesser extent, by an episode of Fairly Oddparents, and an episode of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, the TV show Herman's Head, the movie Osmosis Jones, and I'm sure a crap ton of other stuff I don't know about. And I'm willing to bet that Cranium Command wasn't the first to use the idea by a very long shot. 

"Little creatures control a facet of you" is not a new idea, definitely not one invented by that short. It's one of those base ideas that pop up all over the place, on the level of toys coming to life or monsters in the closet (I believe Docter's gone on record saying he likes stories that make people go "I totally thought that, too!"). You can't really rip the idea off because it's just such a common one.

Also, to make the two sound even remotely similar the descriptions given must be the most bsaic things possible, completely avoiding any and all detail or actual plot. By this logic, WALL-E is a rip off of Robots, because they both star robots. 

If the people who made this were pissed (and I could swear I read in a comment or something that they actually weren't), then they have way too high an opinion of themselves, and do not know what a plot is.
Quote 1 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Hey Karthik - first off, welcome to the forums! Second, yeah, I saw that short a couple years ago as well - it's really well done for a student film! 

I'd have to mirror the other sentiments that the other users have put forth as well - it's a concept which COULD be ripped off for sure, but it's the "spices" of the story that make it unique. A lot of people have actually chatted about what qualifies as ripping things off and what doesn't with us over the last year due to Inside Out and my best example is...a lot of musicians have played the chord progression of C, G, D in songs (it's one of the most common progressions and some songs are entirely made up of those three guitar chords). They're not all rip-offs of each other, because they all have different timing, voicing and strumming patterns...but they do share the same chord progression. So, although they share a common thread, they are unique in their own way. 

I like the thought though and please don't let our counter-points deter you from jumping in with more ideas - keep them coming! [Cool_zpsf7e1371b]
Quote 1 0
Ava-Kane
Note: the makers of "Brain Divided" made a statement about Inside Out. 

"We would like to take a moment to quell any rumors or incorrect assumptions about the parallels between Pixar's Inside Out and our film Brain Divided. While we are very flattered that some people think that Pixar stole our idea, it is completely untrue. Making a movie at a major studio like Pixar takes a long time, and Inside Out has been in development for years before our film.

We didn't know about Pixar's film idea and they didn't know about ours. And while we are glad that the trailer is reinvigorating interest in our short film, please do not detract from either film because they are somewhat similar. We are very excited to see Inside Out and very pleased that you all love our film so much as well. We appreciate all the support and love you all have shown our film, be sure to go see Inside Out when it hit theaters next year!

Inside Out Looks amazing i cant wait to see it!"

Quote 2 0
Karthik Murali
Thanks guys for the welcome. Ava-Kane, thanks for posting that statement. That clears everything up.

To me they are too similar. What I didn't like were some of the movie reviews saying it was the most 'original' concept Pixar has ever done etc. loved the movie nevertheless.
Quote 0 0
mac95
By "original" I'm pretty sure those critics were referring to the story, not the concept of the film. Critics aren't stupid, (to put it bluntly) I'm sure they know about all the other films, shorts and rides that are similar.
Quote 0 0
Karthik Murali
Critics can be stupid. They are the same ones who love calling MU 'Pixar's worst movie' because it didn't get the nomination when we all know how awesome it was.
Quote 0 0
Luis504170
Karthik Murali wrote: Critics can be stupid. They are the same ones who love calling MU 'Pixar's worst movie' because it didn't get the nomination when we all know how awesome it was.

I don't think I ever came across a review claiming Monsters U was the worst Pixar movie. But they did say that it doesn't quite reach "the standards". Although I do agree with mac95, the execution is what makes the story original. There are millions of books, movies, short films, tv shows, etc.. out there and coming up with an original concept is nearly impossible.
Quote 0 0
Bonnie
Karthik Murali wrote: Critics can be stupid. They are the same ones who love calling MU 'Pixar's worst movie' because it didn't get the nomination when we all know how awesome it was.

Having a different opinion than you doesn't make someone stupid. 

And yeah, Luis is right, I have actually read through the negative reviews for MU, multiple times, and claiming it to be their absolute worst is rare, if not just flat out nonexistent. 

Also, no, we don't all think it was awesome. I am in full agreement with any and all critics who may call the movie Pixar's worst.

Quote 0 0
WarrenJB
Bonnie wrote: This short was beat out by a good twenty something years by the Disney World attraction Cranium Command

Heck, it was beaten out by a good fifty something years by brit comic strip The Numskulls!

http://ukcomics.wikia.com/wiki/The_Numskulls
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/numskulls-inside-out-the-beano-relaunch
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
http://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
http://www.pixarpost.com/
http://www.pixarpost.com/
http://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy