Pixar Post - Julie
[Pixar%2BPost%2BPiper] 

After months of speculation we now know the short film attached to 'Finding Dory'. Veteran Pixar animator Alan Barillaro will give us a glimpse into the life of sandpipers - the nautical birds which forage for food between wave cycles on the beach. 

In an exclusive from Entertainment Weekly, the inspiration for the film came to director Alan Barillaro as he would run alongside the shore and notice flocks of birds fleeing the water then scurrying in-between the waves to eat.

Quote:  “Seeing the way these sandpipers react to waves and run, I always felt, ‘Gosh, that’s a film, that’s a character,” says Barillaro, who began toying with animation software as a personal challenge to design a non-speaking character who was afraid of the water yet had to venture into it to eat. “It’s always fun to show a world we’re familiar with but from a different perspective. We’ve all been to the beach, but have we ever viewed water from just an inch off the sand? That could be very fearful from a bird’s perspective."

To read the entire article on 'Piper' click here. 

I am really excited about 'Piper'! I grew up on the ocean (east coast) and watching sandpipers and catching hermit crabs was a weekly activity. The image released of Piper is full of a childlike wonder - leaving me rooting for her already. Along with the character design, the simulation that is showcased in the above image (the water bubbles and reflection) is stunning from artist Jason Deamer. From what we have learned about the story from the EW article, we are certainly looking forward to Pixar veteran Alan Barillaro's directorial debut.

What are your thoughts on the short?
Quote 0 0
ThePolishGent
The shorts films are always either a hit or a miss for me. This one however seems like a winner! There's not much more that I can say about it other than that this seems like it's going to be a very cute (and probably inspirational) short! 
Quote 1 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Yay, finally some news on the short!!! [biggrin] I'm excited, it looks very good. [smile]
Quote 1 0
Sally
Really like Piper's design, also i think the theme of this is nature, because Finding Dory also have this, not really (?), but still

Also comparing Piper to the other Pixar shorts birds; the blue birds from For The Birds, the stork from Partly Cloudy, and those from the films; Kevin from Up, the crow from Brave, the seagulls from Finding Nemo, and the loons from Finding Dory, i think it's clear it might join the lineup

The picture looks amazing, cant wait to see this in 3D
Quote 1 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
I was taken with the concept artwork for this short almost immediately. The color scheme (soft blues, warm golden sand, stark whites and grey on Piper) is one that almost everyone visually enjoys...and the fact that it's concept artwork (and not a final rendered frame) surprised me - upon first glance, it could have been a render in my mind. Either way - I attached a higher res version of the artwork so you could zoom in and take a closer look at Jason Deamer's fantastic work...is it OK that I'm kind of mad at Jason for being so dang good! Ha! Just kidding of course! Click to enlarge it and get a closer look at the brilliant artwork!

Piper-Concept-Artwork-Jason-Deamer_Pixar-Post-re.jpg 
Quote 0 0
Bonnie
I just want to say that I'm happy the "Existing universe short before movies" idea seems to have died before it lived. This is the fifth original short since the last non-original. 

This looks very pretty, but unless I can buy a ticket, just watch this, and then leave and get a refund, I'll be waiting for it to come out on a shorts collection. 
Quote 1 0
Just Keep Swimming
This was such a nice surprise! I love that Pixar has an ocean themed short to go along with Finding Dory, and with such a cute little bird, too!

I also thought this as a rendered frame before I read that this was drawn for the promotion. I love the details the artist incorporated onto the feathers, and the reflection on the water beneath Piper. My favorite part of this piece would have to be the bubble. Whenever my family went to the beach (Pacific coast) we would always try to find sand crabs in the sand when the waves pulled back. The bubbles coming out of the sand would indicate where a crab was hiding. I love how Piper is excited to see this bubble, because that's where she'll find her food!

I can't wait to see this short come June! I have a feeling this will be a new favorite of mine!
Quote 1 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
More great insights about coastal life, Just Keep Swimming! I didn't know that about the sand crabs giving away their location under the sand - neat!
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Hey gang, so some additional details have been released surrounding the short - about their research trips to the beach, how the film will have a "painterly" look (which really got us excited as we recalled a 2013 test animation video which showcases this effect) and also listed that the producer is Marc Sondheimer (Up, Mater's Tall Tales - Moon Mater) and the director of photography will be, Erik Smitt (Toy Story 3, Brave, Toy Story That Time Forgot).

Check out the full write-up (with the animation test video I was mentioning) on our homepage.
Quote 0 0
mac95
I am really excited for this short! Jason Deamer might be my favorite artist at Pixar, so it is great to see him working on the project. It is also really cool to see that the short was originally going to be a software test, so cool to see that as a part of this short's creative process.

This short is already very close to my heart. My grandmother lives right on Hampton Beach on the east coast, so I have been on the beach and seen sand pipers more times than I can count. I always thought they were the funniest little creatures. I thought about how interesting it is that they run back and forth from the waves, day after day after day, and that was their life. So it is so cool to me that I will be able to finally get into their heads and into their lives. So this short should be a heartwarming and fulfilling nostalgia blast for me.

Back to Jason Deamer: That artwork is amazing. I love the color scheme, it is so authentic, yet stylized. And Piper looks so adorable!
Quote 1 0
Raz Yizhack
Really exiting about this short looks so cute and ealistic .looks like a really good short with great animation this comineds with finding dory after that ,so great cant wait to see it .
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
So cool that you have the personal story of seeing the sand pipers, mac95 - that will certainly add to the interest in the short for sure. Agreed on Deamer, he has to be one of the best character designers not only at Pixar, but within the art community as a whole.
Quote 0 0
Arlo
I cannot wait to see Piper. Piper looks like she will be such an interesting and cool character. And also the short film as a whole sounds like an amazing and one-of-a kind concept. This film also feels like it will hit very home for me, just because I grew up near tons of oceans and beaches. Also Jason Deamer's concept art is amazing, I always knew Jason Deamer was a fantastic artist from all of those wonderful art pieces he's done that have ended up in the Art of books. But wow, I feel like this could be a new high for him. I also love the painterly look, and I can't wait to hear the score by Adrian Belew. So far everything that has been released about this short film, makes it sound very impressive, and I cannot wait to see it in theaters this June on the big screen.
Quote 1 0
iPixar
Hey T.J and Julie loved the podcast this morning!

I really enjoyed the part where you talked about how Alan Barillaro used some of Adrian Belew's music for the test animation which we know now has turned into an full length short Piper and Barillaro decided to keep Adrian Belew as the composer for the score of this short!

I have a music degree and I love animation so I clearly went very deep into this and looked for other tracks that Belew has composed that seemed like they might match up with Piper! My top 3 Favorites are The Final Rhino, Birds and Neptune Pool. Let me know what you think! (I know its a lot)

The Final Rhino from the album Desire of the Rhino King
I love this one a lot because it almost has that Thomas Newman Finding Nemo/Dory feel to it! very spacious and flowy! 

Big Blue Sun from the Inner Revolution
The intro to this song has has a similar feel to the previous one!

Native Guitar from the Lone Rhino.
(I think Adrian Belew likes rhinos)

Birds also from Inner Revolution
I could see this one being a more playful short where hes almost playing tag with the water. Piper is afraid and runs back up the beach then comes storming back down all confident only to run back up again. Back and forth back and forth montage with this song in the background would be very cute!

Small World From the album Young Lions
This intro is fun!

I Walk Alone Inner Revolution
I like the Pun of walking alone and thinking of Piper being the only bird left on the sand!

Animal Kingdom from Coming Attractions
It has a lot of possibly playful moments in the music like I can picture Piper shaking the water off of his foot because he's scared and its cold!

Neptune Pool Pretty Pink Rose
First of all the name goes well with the Piper theme and it has this tano flavor to it which I like because that's what Piper will be doing with the rolling waves.

Quote 1 0
Just Keep Swimming
I just listened to the recent podcast! Thank you Pixar T.J. so much for mentioning my comment on Piper! That made my day!
Quote 1 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
http://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
http://www.pixarpost.com/
http://www.pixarpost.com/
http://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy