ReptilePatrol
Earlier this week, the Academy announced a list of 10 films that advanced in the Oscar race for Best Animated Short Film — including Pixar's own Piper!

http://www.oscars.org/news/10-animated-shorts-advance-2016-oscar-race

There was intense competition this year, as a record-breaking 69 short films competed for one of ten spots on the shortlist. The shortlisted films will now undergo another round of voting and compete for one of five nomination spots. Nominations are announced January 24, while the final winner will be announced at the Academy Awards ceremony on February 26.

The full list of qualifying films include:
Blind Vaysha
Borrowed Time
Happy End
The Head Vanishes
Inner Workings
Once upon a Line
Pear Cider and Cigarettes Pearl

Piper
Sous Tes Doigts

Also included on the shortlist is Borrowed Time, a film made by Pixar animators Andrew Coats and Lou Hamou-Lhadj, as well as Inner Workings, a short film by Pixar's sister studio Disney that is currently being shown in theaters alongside Moana. These three films are expected to be the frontrunners in the second round of voting (for the five official nominees), though which one is most likely to win is still up in the air.
Quote 0 0
ThePolishGent
I'm just shock that Moom didn't even make the list! I know I haven't see it yet but I've heard so many wonderful things about the short and having seen some of the clips along with screenshots, plus character models and even knowing about the short film's plot makes me want to go watch it! 

But nevertheless, it's nice to see Piper on there. Also on a side note, did anyone thought that the Inner Workings short film look more like a Pixar production? Not just the concept of the organs having emotions but with the character designs, it gave out a Pixar vibe. I'm really now wondering if any Pixar staff had a hand into making this.
Quote 1 0
PixarsBiggestFan
Considering that they tend to be biased towards Pixar, it'll probably either be Piper or Borrowed Time that wins the award (Borrowed Time was the short made by Pixar staff outside of Pixar).
Quote 1 0
ReptilePatrol
There's definitely a Pixar bias in this category, but usually only for nominations. Just last year, Sanjay's Super Team lost to a foreign film, Bear Story. In fact, Pixar hasn't won the Best Animated Short Film category since 2001 with For the Birds, despite their wild success in dominating the Best Animated Feature category. And to be very speculative (considering I've only seen the three popular shortlisted films so far), I think Piper will get nominated but lose to either Inner Workings or Borrowed Time (but again, extremely speculative in predicting the winner, because we don't even have the nominees yet, and I've seen only 3/10 of these).

Re Inner Workings, I thought it was fantastic! Definitely a Pixar vibe going there, and it's also the first and only time I've teared up watching a Disney short. A friend of mine said it felt too similar to Inside Out, an entirely natural reaction considering even the director of the short film decided to double check with John Lasseter on that. However, I don't think (or at least I hope) Pixar did not have a hand in it — WDAS just seems to be increasingly Pixar-ish, a trend most noticeable with their feature films like Wreck-It Ralph and Zootopia.
Quote 0 0
ThePolishGent
ReptilePatrol wrote: I thought it was fantastic! Definitely a Pixar vibe going there, and it's also the first and only time I've teared up watching a Disney short. A friend of mine said it felt too similar to Inside Out, an entirely natural reaction considering even the director of the short film decided to double check with John Lasseter on that. However, I don't think (or at least I hope) Pixar did not have a hand in it — WDAS just seems to be increasingly Pixar-ish, a trend most noticeable with their feature films like Wreck-It Ralph and Zootopia.

I'm surprise to hear that you got emotional over the Inner Workings short film! And my guess is that part of the story involves the blockhead searching for happiness?? Or at least that's what it comes off from the trailer. And by the way, one person on YouTube describe the short film as "What if organs had feelings". I can really see of why many people thought that Inner Workings felt a whole lot like Inside Out. Heck, I guaranteed you that they probably took inspiration from Inside Out to make Inner Workings of what it is.
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
ThePolishGent wrote:

I'm surprise to hear that you got emotional over the Inner Workings short film! And my guess is that part of the story involves the blockhead searching for happiness?? Or at least that's what it comes off from the trailer. And by the way, one person on YouTube describe the short film as "What if organs had feelings". I can really see of why many people thought that Inner Workings felt a whole lot like Inside Out. Heck, I guaranteed you that they probably took inspiration from Inside Out to make Inner Workings of what it is.

For me, part of it was definitely the heart vs. head narrative, but also the creative use of the death gag.

In regards to heart vs. head, I've recently fallen head over heels for how a similar theme was explored in Disney's Gravity Falls (if you haven't seen Gravity Falls, there is quite literally nothing — and I say this quite seriously, not hyperbolically — that I would recommend higher). In fact, I was thinking about it earlier that day, unaware that there'd be parallels in Inner Workings.

Minor spoiler in this paragraph:
The death gag though, was executed perfectly. I remember laughing the first three times it was used comedically, and remember thinking "c'mon Disney" when it came on for a fourth time. But the fifth time it was used for a dramatic, emotional effect instead, and that got me. It was a surprising and a creative turn of events executed very effectively. Although the raw emotional impact of surprise & sadness probably won't happen for me the second time around, when the surprise is no longer at play, the thematic grounding will hopefully keep the short relevant and enjoyable. However, I'd have to see it a second time to say this for sure.

In regards to the Inside Out influence, I'm sure they had it on their mind. I'm guessing that if they were dedicated to the work — and also in regular consultation with John Lasseter — that they took measures to avoid parroting Inside Out.
Quote 0 0
Sally
I have yet to see Moana, but I heard good things about Inner Workings from my film loving friends at school. I really want to see Moana soon, but is the short THAT good? (no spoilers, of course)

If not, I will understand, because I barely see animated shorts in theaters: The first time I saw Day and Night (the Toy Story 3 short) was FOUR years ago, because my theater apparently got the wrong print of the film, I was so disappointed because I saw the teaser clip online and wanted to see the beauty of that. Second viewing that summer, wasn't there, third viewing, nope. Then I picked up volume 2 of the Pixar shorts on Blu-ray (I didn't have Toy Story 3 yet at that time) and I fell in love with it.

Another short I wanted to see but have yet to get it right is The Dam Keeper. I heard good things from it, but I couldn't figure it out. They're making a film so there is hope I can see the short soon.

Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
Inner Workings was very good in my opinion, and my favorite short film of the year so far (followed by Borrowed Time and Piper).

However, it doesn't beat The Dam Keeper, which continues to hold the title of my favorite animated short film of all time.
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Oh man, The Dam Keeper is so great, I really recommend you check it out, the short film was just absolutely spectacular. The music, the art style/animation, the story and other elements of the short was really really good. You should watch it Sally. [smile]
Quote 0 0
ThePolishGent
ReptilePatrol wrote: For me, part of it was definitely the heart vs. head narrative, but also the creative use of the death gag. In regards to heart vs. head, I've recently fallen head over heels for how a similar theme was explored in Disney's Gravity Falls (if you haven't seen Gravity Falls, there is quite literally nothing — and I say this quite seriously, not hyperbolically — that I would recommend higher). In fact, I was thinking about it earlier that day, unaware that there'd be parallels in Inner Workings.

I'll have to keep that in mind whenever I get the chance to watch both Gravity Falls and of course, Inner Workings. Still watching Steven Universe as of this moment but I'll eventually get to it!
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
Congrats to Alan Barillaro, Marc Sondheimer and the rest of the Piper crew for winning the Oscar for Best Animated Short Film the other night!

I had seen all the nominees except Pear Cider and Cigarettes and I can say there was definitely some heavy competition this year.

This is Pixar's first win in this category since Ralph Eggleston won with For the Birds in 2002.
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Big congratulations are in order for the Piper crew - agreed. Since you saw all the shorts (minus the one), what were your thoughts on Piper compared to the rest? Do you agree with the win in this case?

Also, in case anyone hasn't seen it, we wrote up a quick summary of their acceptance speech as well as spotted a backstage video of Marc and Alan after winning their Oscar - check it out in our write-up.
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
Although Borrowed Time is my favorite of this year's nominees so far, and Pixar wise I preferred last year's Sanjay's Super Team to this year's Piper, it was a fine winner. I liked it more than Blind Vaysha and Pearl (the former was highly creative, but didn't really click for me at the end; the latter's story I didn't really like, despite the very fine VR work). However, I'll have to see Pear Cider and Cigarettes before making a more serious judgement.
Quote 1 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
http://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
http://www.pixarpost.com/
http://www.pixarpost.com/
http://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy