Dan the Pixar Fan
I've been thinking about the memories in Inside Out- how most of them are third person looking at Riley in the moment, rather than being through her own eyes. In real life, wouldn't  you feel that your memories are first person since that's how you experience things, or sometimes both?

I understand why they did it in the film, for visuals sake (it's simpler to see the memory third person than for the audience trying to figure out what's going on through her eyes), but there are moments of first person memories as well...such as the helicopter pilot and Riley's first memory with her dad talking to her as a baby.

Just wondered if you guys has any insights into this! [smile]
Quote 1 0
mac95
I have thought about this, too! At the end of the day, I think that whichever view it is from, the final decision is for the story and not what makes sense logically and for visuals. The first scene certainly would not have so much depth if it wasn't a first person point of view. 
Quote 0 0
Luis504170
Kind of weird, cause I personally remember things in 3rd person. I saw the memory clip and thought, huh? Isn't it supposed to be 1st person? But then I remembered that I remember things in 3rd person as well. Pete did a whole lot of research for this, I'm pretty sure 3rd person was the most appropiate one for the film.
Quote 0 0
goldenstate5
Warning: will be a slightly spoilery post, please use caution

PixarFanDan wrote:
I've been thinking about the memories in Inside Out- how most of them are third person looking at Riley in the moment, rather than being through her own eyes. In real life, wouldn't  you feel that your memories are first person since that's how you experience things, or sometimes both?

I understand why they did it in the film, for visuals sake (it's simpler to see the memory third person than for the audience trying to figure out what's going on through her eyes), but there are moments of first person memories as well...such as the helicopter pilot and Riley's first memory with her dad talking to her as a baby.

Just wondered if you guys has any insights into this! [smile]

To me, it's kind of like the reason why literally every single character that isn't Riley that we zoom into their mind has not only a completely different-looking Headquarters, but emotions that are designed (and genderfied) to look like the person they're embodying. If you read into it too hard (I'm not blasting you for bringing it up, because it is definitely an interesting topic worthy of discussion), then you're probably looking at it from the wrong angle. It's just a visual aide to the audience to better tell the story. (or in this case, the jokes) 

The concept is already very complex and a hard sell, so Riley's emotions are our main characters and thus have the simplest form of the designs. That way when we zoom into or cut to anybody else's mind, we immediately know "okay this is that person, not Riley" so we get the joke right off the bat.

So while that helps sells some the humor, the same is applied to the memories to help the audience better understand the story and Riley. After all, she is only featured from an external point-of-view for limited amounts of time. If the memories were shot by POV, it would be confusing and you'd have to actually think about what's actually going on. That's why they only ever fully cut to the POV screen (which I think is never stated, but apparently called the "stream of consciousness", clever) whenever Riley is either being talked to by somebody or is actively engaged in doing something. (same with Mom and Dad) They do some tricks, such as showing Riley's face reflected in the bus window so we both get her POV and at the same time, her mood that tells us everything we need to know about the moment.

The filmmakers clearly know that they have to do POV at some points because, well we see things entirely through our eyes. That's how life works and that's what the emotions see. But they chose to cheat with the memories, and I don't think that's a bad thing... it does a great job of capturing the feeling of a memory, and that's what counts. The free skating scene is basically proof of this.

The only time this confused me was the helicopter pilot memory, which was POV. After I saw the movie, it instantly made sense. It's done to effectively sell two jokes, which just wouldn't work if it was third-person. And, no shocker, it's a memory of directly looking at somebody. Riley's first memory was also POV to probably not distrupt the whimsy of the opening. She's bathed in a very bright light, just like a newborn would probably see... a third person memory there would have to introduce what we don't see in that opening, and that would throw things into a discord.

I did like that at the very least, they kept much of Riley's dreams as POV (ironically the most POV shot of the movie is when Riley looks down to see she's not wearing pants... in her dream)... it's a balancing game that they play but even if it's slightly uneven, it does its job in selling whatever the film is trying to get across.
Quote 1 0
Raz Yizhack
I thought about it too ,but when we think about it memories is not that clear and when you remember a specific moment its on 3rd person and sometimes in 1st person if you look at someones face maybe.
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
First off - dang it Dan! Yet again, I hadn't thought of that! Ha! You really do make me realize how much I just take the movie for "what it is" sometimes! Great insight as always!

At first I immediately thought, "oh, that just to help the audience 'get it' without wondering" as others have stated. But then I started to think about it more and like Luis said and I completely remember memories in the 3rd person. It's kind of weird the more I thought about it, but I started recalling tons of memories in my head and one in particular of my friend and I shooting a game of pool (back when I was in high school), was "filmed" from the ceiling and I can see us walking around the table, talking and listening to Nirvana's "Nevermind" album.

I also thought of when my Son was born and I walked over to him after he was cleaned up and he was lying in the crib - I put my index finger near his hand and he slowly grasped my finger with his whole hand. It's so weird because I can feel that memory like it happened today, but still thinking about it, it's almost as if a camera were over my shoulder and I'm watching myself extend my finger to him. Whoa!

So, does this happen to anyone else if you really think of your memories? 
Quote 0 0
Luis504170
Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:

So, does this happen to anyone else if you really think of your memories? 

Totally T.J! It's actually kind of interesting! I'm going to do some research and I'll come back and tell you guys what I found!
Quote 1 0
Luis504170
So i did some re-search and discovered some very interesting things about third person recalling. 

Heads up, to fully understand the functions on memories, you would need to do way more re-search. I went on dozens of websites looking and found the most common input. I'm putting in into my own words to avoid plagiarism. Most of the research is very advanced philosophy so I tried to simplify the surface of it all in the best way possible.

So apparently, you remember some memories in third person and some in first depending on how clear the experience was. Remembering something in first person usually means remembering sound, smell, the exact nature of the moment, the feeling you had and even your surroundings. For example, say something very important happened, you remember the feeling very well, your surroundings, you were really focused on them. You will remember in first-person because it was registered very specifically in your mind.

Remembering things as an outside source (third-person) is an extension of building up our future self, based on our past (Riley's core memories are in third person). You were basically caught up in a mental reality of delusion. In other words, you were so caught up in your inner feelings and thoughts, and you weren't focused so much on the outside. Like Riley's core memories, when she first score hockey. She remembers scoring and being extremely happy, but she was so happy that she was caught up in that feeling that she didn't fully realize her surroundings. So, like you T.J playing pool, you were so caught up in the feeling and very concentrated that maybe you don't remember very well your surroundings, just how much fun you had playing.

Again, there is much more to this, such as your mind creating a different reality and other stuff that I don't want to get into cause I'll just make my mind explode.

I tried to explain myself as best as I could. I applaud Pete Docter for doing so much re-search on Inside Out, everything is just so psychological.
Quote 1 0
UntoldStories113
Luis, could you maybe paraphrase that third person paragraph again? I don't quite understand why you would remember things in third person when you were not paying attention to your surroundings. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Overall, though, thanks for the awesome background info!

Going by personal experience and not by research, I don't always remember everything about a memory, only the parts that stood out to me. For example, I remember conversations for which I could recite every single word, but couldn't for the life of me recall what my conversation partner looked like, even if I've been looking at them the entire time. So it makes sense to me that the perspective of a memory is dependent on what one actually remembers about that moment.

Also, I think the only first person memory of Riley's we see is the very first one, right? And at that moment, that was all Riley knew; she had just opened her eyes for the first time, so making this a third person memory showing the entire room would've been really weird.
Quote 0 0
Luis504170
UntoldStories113 wrote:
Luis, could you maybe paraphrase that third person paragraph again? I don't quite understand why you would remember things in third person when you were not paying attention to your surroundings. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Overall, though, thanks for the awesome background info!

Sure, Its very complex to its a little hard to explain but in other words. You were more invested on your feelings than what was going on around you. I know its cliche what I'm going to give as an example, but its the best example I can give. Let's say you kiss someone for the first time. You are so caught up in the good feeling that you don't pay attention too much to what is going on around you. Your mind will remember in third person, as opposed to first person. 

Further re-search is very abstract and technical I would just confuse everyone (and myself). That's just the way it is, I had a lot of drafts for that last paragraph (essay) because it is very hard to put in perspective, much less lay it out in the simplest way for others. I hope I made it clearer, it is quite interesting how it happens, our mind is a very complex and mysterious world.
Quote 0 0
UntoldStories113
Luis504170 wrote:
Let's say you kiss someone for the first time. You are so caught up in the good feeling that you don't pay attention too much to what is going on around you. Your mind will remember in third person, as opposed to first person.

Thanks for paraphrasing, and sorry for being difficult, but I still don't get it. [wink] In third person, the memory actually shows more of the surroundings than in first person because you can see yourself, too, as well as everything that's behind you. Why does that happen when you don't focus on your surroundings but only on the feelings the moment evokes? It seems paradoxical to me.
Quote 0 0
Luis504170
UntoldStories113 wrote:

Thanks for paraphrasing, and sorry for being difficult, but I still don't get it. [wink] In third person, the memory actually shows more of the surroundings than in first person because you can see yourself, too, as well as everything that's behind you. Why does that happen when you don't focus on your surroundings but only on the feelings the moment evokes? It seems paradoxical to me.

That's just the way it happens. I read that it has to do with the mind creating alternate surroundings, but that is way too complicated. Let's just stick to what it is. And you're welcome! It actually comes into play in the film. Riley's core memories are all in third person. Because she was so caught up in the feeling of playing hockey, being with her family, Meg, admitting she did wrong with the hammer. Her mind didn't register a specific memory because she was so caught up in her feelings. 
Quote 1 0
UntoldStories113
Luis504170 wrote:
I read that it has to do with the mind creating alternate surroundings, but that is way too complicated.

Ah! Now this makes sense to me! So basically, the mind overcompensates with filling the gaps because it "realizes" that this memory is important to you, and as a result, you "remember" a lot more than you would have without the emotional component.

...and I think that just spawned a story idea. [wink] Great! Thanks for being patient!
Quote 1 0
Luis504170
UntoldStories113 wrote:
Luis504170 wrote:
I read that it has to do with the mind creating alternate surroundings, but that is way too complicated.

Ah! Now this makes sense to me! So basically, the mind overcompensates with filling the gaps because it "realizes" that this memory is important to you, and as a result, you "remember" a lot more than you would have without the emotional component.

...and I think that just spawned a story idea. [wink] Great! Thanks for being patient!

Oh don't worry! Yeah, I write as well!! Glad I could help!
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Hmm, I never actually thought about this before, nor did I noticed the 3rd and 1st person memories during the movie. Great explanation Luis504170, and amazing catch PixarFanDan! [smile]
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy