Pixar Post - T.J. Show full post »
Vellerie
It's nice having new voices to make original movies in the future! They all have their own style and diversity is certainly welcome. And if not divulging information this early removes the possibility of copycats (A la the whole Antz debacle), then I'm 100 percent okay with that.

And Arlo, I'm also one of the ones who love Monsters University. I thought it gave the characters in the original film (Mike, Sulley, Randall) a lot of dimension, and I loved the colorful cast of characters (like Oozma Kappa and Dean Hardscrabble), the humor, the world building, and the unconventional moral. It was just a really heartfelt movie that's more than meets the eye. And it's jam-packed with content, so it's worth what you pay for it.

That's why Monsters is the one Pixar series I actually really want another sequel to. It has a lot of interesting characterization and worldbuilding (monsters world vs human, CDA, etc). Don't get me wrong, I'm eager to see Finding Dory and Toy Story 4 (though cautiously with this one), but I wasn't on the edge of my seat for these sequels. I still believe Finding Dory will be very good though.
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
In regards to some the prior comments...I strongly believe that Ralph Eggleston won't be directing a feature film. From chatting with him, he's pretty clear that he likes the visual development aspect of films and with what he did on Inside Out I definitely got the vibe that he'll stay in that lane (at least for the near future). I mean, he's so wildly creative that I see his mind much more tuned to creation rather than directing others to be creative (and that's not even close to being a knock on him...I think he's amazing and I think that's just where his strengths lie).

I also wouldn't worry about another company coming in an lifting their ideas and beating them to the market. The whole Antz situation is different in that the idea wasn't just highlighted in a conference or anything, it was lifted from an internal pitch meeting and Katzenberg took it to Dreamworks and rushed it through to basically stick it to Eisner (his new found enemy). So, there were a ton of details from storyboards, visual development and such revealed in that pitch meeting. A conference would just give high level overviews like they typically do. I would guess we'll get a quick update (nothing more) at CinemaCon. Like I mentioned on Twitter, Disney has a 3.5 hour meeting set up so they'll definitely have some time to chat about further out projects at a high level.
Quote 0 0
Pricklepants
Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:
I also wouldn't worry about another company coming in an lifting their ideas and beating them to the market.

If you honestly believe this, then I think you're pretty naive, all due respect. If there's one thing Hollywood is known for, it's the crappy, cheap tactic like stealing ideas and beating them to the market. With varying degrees of successes too, I must say. I'm not even talking about Antz. To me that was an one-off thing with Katzenberg having such unique access to Disney/Pixar pipeline at the time (having just left the company bitterly), coupled with a hellbent hatred on Eisner and possibly the company he just left. Antz is like his way of putting up a middle finger when he had a chance, but that's an one-off.

I'm talking about things like Rio, which apparently was the final nail in the coffin for Pixar not releasing Newt. Believe what you must about whether or not Blue Sky copied Pixar's idea, to me it feels like had Blue Sky not released Rio, Pixar would've found a way to make Newt work and get the movie out. Having another studio (or two) getting a similar movie out is cold water thrown at your face, especially while you're still stuck with a troubled production. Plus, on the financial side, development cost up to that point is never going to be recovered, and of course you'll also lose the potential gains from a major feature release. Millions of dollar are at stakes, there's just no way studios like Pixar can just brush off the risk of competitors lifting their ideas.

Now I don't claim to be knowledgeable about how the animation community works, especially when it comes to protecting intellectual properties. I don't know for sure if public knowledge is the only channel where studios learn what their competitors are working on (animators from different companies socialize and network all the time, right?). I also don't know if employees and former employees are bound by NDAs and how tight they are. But I strongly believe studios go to great length to protect the IP they are developing, especially if they are original ideas, which are increasingly hard to come by nowadays in Hollywood, the landmine of unoriginalities. There's literally nothing to be gained about disclosing your awesome new ideas to the public years in advance. For fans, that kind of sucks, but that's the fact we have to accept.
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
I don't think you're wrong about companies stealing ideas, but I was inferring that any announcement in the public is way too late to be stealing ideas - these companies definitely know what films the competitors are working on long before the general public hears anything. Between leaders talking, employees chatting (as you noted) and so on - the ideas are cooking for probably a year or more before the public hears. 

Rio is definitely somewhat different, since nothing was done on purpose. More importantly, Pixar wasn't shy about noting that the story had issues. They talked that the film had a good first act, but it all fell apart after that and they didn't feel like they could get it on track effectively. This was also a time that Pixar was experimenting with their structure - Newt was the first film where they took almost all newbie employees and put them in a different building outside of Pixar and told them to work without much oversight (i.e., no braintrust). In hindsight, they said that this wasn't right or fair to those employees and they felt the project was doomed to fail from the beginning. All I'm saying is that Rio wasn't created to copy Newt and Newt wasn't created to be a copy of Rio...so that example is different than stealing an idea. 

So, nope, I don't consider myself naive in the least.
Quote 0 0
Pricklepants
About Rio and Newt, there's no way for any of us to really know if there's a degree of "stealing an idea" involved here other than maybe a handful of insiders. Personally, I don't believe in total coincidence. Let's give both companies the benefit of the doubt and say somehow they both got inspirations about similar story lines involving talking animals around the same time, and knowing the time it takes to make an animated feature, the two companies penciled the release date pretty close to each other. Let's just say there's no malicious intent involved. But my point is this, Pixar took real damages during that whole episode, financially and reputationally, and it could've been somewhat mitigated by not telling the public what they were working on a number of years in advance, or at all. Had they not announced Newt, they could've quietly shut it down after it was clear that a competitor is releasing a similar movie before they could while they still struggle with development. Yes it sucks to have to cancel a movie that they've sunk millions in developing, but it's the cost of experiments (details of which have been outlined in your post), or cost of doing business, in a sense. This is not the first project to have been shelved at Pixar, nor will it be the last. But it will always be one that is so well known, well publicized in the public domain. It makes Pixar less of a all-conquering champion that they were always perceived as. That's the intangible damage to the 'equity brand' that Lasseter and co always speak of so proudly and protect so fiercely. Rio, indirectly, had a hand to it.

It's not surprising when the team becomes more aware of this risk and less forthcoming about the original ideas they were working on. Probably that's why we probably will never know what Teddy Newton was cooking up at Pixar before he left (one of the things I'm still dying to find out), it will take a few more years before we can hear about what Mark Andrews and Dan Scanlon and the likes are working on. But that's for the better for sure. 
Quote 0 0
Tazbanian Devill
This film will be an original according to EW! http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/01/pixar-sequels-ratatouille-wall-e-inside-out
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
So, here's a question. It got me thinking when I was wrapping up the post regarding Dan Scanlon's untitled project (as revealed at the 2017 D23 Expo). Since his film is about two Sons searching for their Father, will his film land on this date since it's only two days before Father's Day (June 21, 2020)?
Quote 1 0
Bonnie
If you're going for that kind of thing why not just launch it ON Father's Day? Is releasing a movie on a weekday that isn't Friday just not a thing they do?

Actually releasing things on a Sunday seems weird, too.
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
Non-Friday weekday releases only happen for holidays, usually. For example, since US Thanksgiving is always a Thursday, movies for that weekend are bumped up to Wednesday. Coco, Moana, and The Good Dinosaur were all Wednesday day-before-Thanksgiving releases. Coco's Mexican release is also about a week before Dia de los Muertos.

With that having been said, a fathers-themed movie for Father's Day weekend would be perfect! And I'm sure not everybody celebrates Father's Day on the Sunday — work, etc. mean many people may celebrate some other time during the weekend. Or, if people have Father's Day plans, then seeing a movie a day or two before may be more appropriate.
Quote 1 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy