Bonnie
So I found this, detailing some of Bob Peterson's original Good Dinosaur idea. I'm not sure how much of it we already knew, but I thought it'd be interesting to bring up anyway.

What do you guys think? 

I like its general idea a lot better. It seems a bit more like the whole meteor thing was actually significant to the way the world worked. I've also expressed before how I was disappointed they changed his size so much. Another thing I like better in this version (though admittedly I'm assuming a bit here), is that, if the standing pose and cut hair are anything to go by, Spot might have been less literal dog-like. The origin of the name seems less random, too.

However, I'm not crazy about the whole "But the ONE GUY who doesn't want to follow the crowd..." thing. It's really cliched, and sounds very Remy-esque (I know he wasn't the first one to have that type of story, but he was the first Pixar one). It is always possible they could have taken it in an interesting direction, but they also could have not. I also think I like Arlo better as a kid (admittedly, this does kind of clash with my preference for him being bigger). And back to Spot, I like his final design better (it's cuter). 

Edit: Wait, no, not Remy-esque, this sounds like Flik, even more than Remy (and he was actually the first Pixar character with this type of storyline). 

Something I'm noticing here, but have no opinion on, is that it seems like this idea would have meant no t-rexes and raptors. The cynic in me immediately thinks "Marketing decision" when it comes to them showing up in the second version (as those are the really popular dinosaurs, from what I understand), but I guess that's pretty baseless. Eh, can't say I would have missed them.

And it looks like the really basic designs for everyone were there from the beginning. 

Hm...maybe if they kept the original plot, but just made him younger, I might like that.

I guess I'm kind of split; I think I like the original idea better, but there are a few things from the final (like the lightning bug scene, and Arlo's sympatheticness) that I really do like and feel we would have most likely missed in the original idea. I really wish the final's positives could have been merged with the original idea. 

Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
I like the new designs for Spot and Arlo a lot better, tho the absence of the spots on Spot does indeed make the naming seem more random (but then again, where did the name "Arlo" come from anyway? And the same could be said for the other characters too).

Story wise, from what I can gather about Sohn and Ream from the article, it looks like they've accomplished their goal of a simpler, more direct and more heartfelt story. However, in doing so I also think they sacrificed the film's potential to become a classic in the traditional Pixar sense; I found TGD's final version to be a nice theater experience but not really that memorable.

It's kind of hard to imagine what Peterson's final version would have been like but he certainly had a lot of interesting ideas that I think might have produced something great had he just had more time. And judging from the final version of the film, the transition to a new director seems to have been a bit imperfectly done as the film tries to be two things at once: something that honors Peterson's original intentions, and something that tries to be different by being simpler and more direct, and the result is a story that doesn't feel as refined as some of Pixar's finer work.

However since we'll never get to see Peterson's final version I guess we'll never know for sure. Interesting to hear that Finding Dory is his next project though! I had been a bit worried that his departure would have been inevitable given what happened to Ash Brannon, Jan Pinkava, Brad Lewis and Brenda Chapman. I really hope Andrew Stanton and Bob Peterson don't screw it up though (like how Cars 2 and MU were) so it's promising to see the original writers and director back on for the sequel.
Quote 0 0
Pixarer
Is there anything in The Art of The Good Dinosaur Book, or any other The Good Dinosaur related book for that matter that would have detailed anything related to Bob Peterson's original version? And if so, could anyone please share that information here? 

I have been collecting any info that I can find concerning this original version and have already collected quite a few pieces of concept art and other information revealed through toys like what was already discussed above. I also have some info from the Art of Book, which also depicts a young yellow parasaurolophus alongside the other dinosaurs revealed in the article. I name her Lucy because she has no official name, and it seems to fit the same kind of names that the other three (four counting Vivian, another young ankylosaurus that you can get as a toy that comes with a little critter, look her up) cut dinsoaurs. I'd be happy to share any info with anyone who is interested [smile] I can even email to you across OneDrive/Google Drive if anyone wishes to see it all. 

Quote 0 0
andreas the pixar maniac
then if you have the time pixarer could you share all of the info you have with me?[smile]
Quote 0 0
Pixarer
Sure thing just message me your email address and I shall email it all over to you buddy [smile] 
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
I'm actually kinda glad they didn't use Bob's version. I mean, he came up with a good movie idea, but I'd rather have a younger and smaller Arlo (it showcases his vulnerable-like nature), and Spot looks better in the final product than he did in the poster. Besides, the poster looks kind of... creepy. I don't know though- I might just be saying that because I'm already so used to the movie it came out to be.

And I gotta say, I'm glad Bob Peterson stayed in Pixar. I heard that supposedly he got fired after slipping up in his film, so it's a relief to hear that he didn't get let go from the studio. I guess it was just a rumor.

ReptilePatrol wrote:

It's kind of hard to imagine what Peterson's final version would have been like but he certainly had a lot of interesting ideas that I think might have produced something great had he just had more time. And judging from the final version of the film, the transition to a new director seems to have been a bit imperfectly done as the film tries to be two things at once: something that honors Peterson's original intentions, and something that tries to be different by being simpler and more direct, and the result is a story that doesn't feel as refined as some of Pixar's finer work.

However since we'll never get to see Peterson's final version I guess we'll never know for sure. Interesting to hear that Finding Dory is his next project though! I had been a bit worried that his departure would have been inevitable given what happened to Ash Brannon, Jan Pinkava, Brad Lewis and Brenda Chapman. I really hope Andrew Stanton and Bob Peterson don't screw it up though (like how Cars 2 and MU were) so it's promising to see the original writers and director back on for the sequel.

Agreed! [smile]
Quote 1 0
Arlo
I like all the final designs more. The designs of the film when Bob Peterson was doing it, are great nevertheless and are beautiful to look at, and I respect the guy, I mean he is a genius. But I feel like there was something missing in the characters designs, it just doesn't feel very Pixar, it feels more like the animation style of Sony Pictures Animation's Hotel Transylvania. It just doesn't feel Pixar or Walt Disney Animation Studios, for that matter. 
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
One quick note up front. Bob Peterson was never in danger of being fired and we hadn't heard that rumor, so we want to clear that right up. Pixar was very graceful with the transition of director and expressed right from the beginning that he was transitioning to another project (more details).

In regards to Bob's original movie, there are a few things that popped up concept artwork-wise recently which also show a little more details regarding how people and dinosaurs worked together at the end. Robert Kondo recently posted a few frames of an alternate ending.

tumblr_o164xz1i4b1tzdzy7o1_540.jpg 
tumblr_o164xz1i4b1tzdzy7o2_540.jpg 

Also, Grant Alexander posted a piece of concept artwork of another human in the film. 
TGD-Alexander.JPG 

When reading the Huffington Post article that Bonnie noted, there was a mention of bugs and how Arlo studied them...I was reminded of the original layout for the "Art of" book where there was a whole chapter dedicated to Bugs...I think it was just called "Bugs". Also, I can't say anything more than this, but in 2013 while at the studio I was able to see one scene with Arlo in fact investigating Spot...it was very weird seeing how large Arlo was in relation to Spot...he literally was a Spot!

Apparently another reason changes had to be made were that comments were coming back that there could be insensitivity in the film as well...some were speculating this could be jokes at the expense of the Amish connection in the film (though this wasn't confirmed).
Quote 0 0
Arlo
I don't know I'm kind of happy with how Peter Sohn's The Good Dinosaur turned out, but kudos to Bob Peterson for coming up with the brilliant idea. Without Bob Peterson we wouldn't even have The Good Dinosaur, but without Peter Sohn the film may never had become a possibility and could've turned out like Newt. So both Peterson and Sohn did a wonderful job, and I'm sure whatever Bob Peterson is working on next will be fantastic!
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:
One quick note up front. Bob Peterson was never in danger of being fired and we hadn't heard that rumor, so we want to clear that right up. Pixar was very graceful with the transition of director and expressed right from the beginning that he was transitioning to another project

All right. But technically he did get fired (from the director position he was in). Just saying. [tongue]
Quote 0 0
Pixarer
Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:
Also, I can't say anything more than this, but in 2013 while at the studio I was able to see one scene with Arlo in fact investigating Spot...it was very weird seeing how large Arlo was in relation to Spot...he literally was a Spot!

Thank you so much for the concept artwork, I really appreciate it. Any reason why yo are not allowed to say anymore here?
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Yeah, I really just can't say any more because I'm not sure how much they'd really want me to say! Heck, I don't even know how much I was supposed to see. The bottom line is that it was a version of the movie that wasn't made and it's up to them if they want to reveal it! [Winking_zps1d9118ce]
Quote 0 0
Arlo
Yeah I agree, Pixar is very private about a lot of things. Very interested to find out what exactly you saw though, TJ! But you should probably keep it private
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy