Luis504170 Show full post »
Andrés Sánchez
My guess is that Coco is the name of Miguel's late grandmother that reunites with him
Quote 0 0
UntoldStories113
The thing is, if this name refers to a well-known Mexican... what would you call this? Myth? Story? Anyway, Coco is well known in Mexico, so it wouldn't make any sense to me to name a character Coco and not reference the monster in any way. It would probably look like an oversight on Pixar's part, as if they didn't know the name was "taken." [/my two cents]

And Andrés, welcome to the forum, too! [smile]
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Dannel wrote:
I am surprised by the name. The logo looks appealing to the eyes and captures the festivities colorfulness. The word coco means coconut in spanish, but it is also used to refer a monster. As a kid your parents would tell you the coco would come to take you with him, or more horrifying, eat you, if you don't go to sleep as ordered. That way you would be scared of disobey them.

First off, welcome to the forum Dannel, we really appreciate you joining to chat with us! Thank you for the additional insights on Coco as well (thanks to Luis too)!

Additionally, I'd also like to welcome Andrés Sánchez to the forums as well!! [Cool_zpsf7e1371b]
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
Luis504170 wrote:
ReptilePatrol wrote:
It would be fitting if a monster was named Coco, based on the fact that Coco means "monster" in Spanish, though probably not a human, since who would name their child "monster"?

Well Coco doesn't mean "monster" in Spanish. That would be generalizing and justifying every monster to be called Coco. Coco is a specific monster.. It supposed to come out at night and eat the bad kids that haven't gone to sleep. (although the story is tweaked all across of Mexico) Some people see it as the most effective way to get your child to sleep. But I see it as the most effective way to make your child need a psychiatrist. 

There's not a specific visual representation of El Coco.

To simplify my point, El Coco is to Mexican people, what the Boogeyman is to Amercian people.

I can't realy see how El Coco would play into a movie about the Day of the Dead, unless his family was killed by El Coco. 

It is a rather interesting title for a Pixar movie if you ask me, hopefully we find out sooner than later.

Huh, interesting, thanks for clearing that up!

Perhaps Coco is a villain character? But then the poster just looks so festive and all.

Or maybe they'll be following a Ratatouille-esque approach to the title and title the movie after something in the film that's comparatively minor.
Quote 0 0
Sebastian Barnes
coco in mexio is a kind of fourm to said, "skull" sometimes we said, "u me golpie el coco" so the skull is similar to the skeletons of the death people? right [Cocos] 
Quote 1 0
BeanoMaster
I hope people don't call Coco a rip-off of The Book of Life.
Quote 0 0
Bonnie
BeanoMaster wrote:
I hope people don't call Coco a rip-off of The Book of Life.

People have been calling it a rip off of Book of Life for over a year. Apparently there can only be one movie about Day of the Dead, even though we have dozens of movies about other holidays. 

I cannot properly express how sick I am of seeing "I don't get why they didn't cancel it like Newt". The answer is always "Because there's a difference between sharing a plot element and sharing a plot". 

But we really shouldn't be surprised. This happens for every Pixar movie now. Good Dinosaur is apparently an Ice Age rip off. I swear, next time Pixar makes an original movie, we need to all take guesses on what everyone's going to accuse it of so totally ripping off based on one line concept summary alone.

*Deep breath* Sorry, I've been waiting to explode on that for a while.
Quote 2 0
UntoldStories113
Toy Story ends on Christmas! Surely, it must rip off every Christmas movie in existence! ^^

I just try not to listen to those claims. People tend to want to accuse Pixar of being unoriginal without having seen the movie in question, so if it's not a sequel or prequel, then obviously, they'll have to find a different reason.

To clarify: If after seeing Coco, I feel it is unoriginal, I won't hesitate to point it out - but with what little information we have right now? That's just stupid.
Quote 1 0
Vellerie
Lol, because dinosaurs totally existed during the Ice Age (ok I know they found some eggs in one of the ice age movies but still). The mammalian megafauna wouldn't have even existed without Dinosaur extinction. I'm surprised people haven't said it's a Land Before Time ripoff instead.
Quote 1 0
mac95
People are comparing The Good Dinosaur to Ice Age? Really? I get that it has a similar plot point, but it definitely isn't a rip-off. Coming up with an entirely original story is very close to impossible, as so many movies and books and stories have been made throughout history and it is impossible to not come up with something that seems familiar.
Quote 1 0
Luis504170
People love to call things "rip off" of something else and it really frustrates me immensely. Inside Out was called by some a rip off of Herman's Head and Osmosis Jones, just because they all take place in the brain/mind/body. But what these geniuses don't know is that nothing will be 100% original.. at least not anymore. There are millions of stories, movies, short films, books, fan fictions, among others out there and what makes something original is the execution. If one day you woke up and decided to write a script about a talking toilet, odds are its been manifested in SOME way before. Same with Coco and Book of Life. They better not call Coco a rip off just because they are both about the day of the dead. Is Halloween a ripoff of Nightmare Before Christmas just because they both take place during Halloween? No. Is Home Alone a rip off of Bad Santa because they both take place in Christmas? No. Coco should be welcomed just as well as the others.

Seriously though, Pixar did not work their butts off for 3-5 years just so people can call their movies a "ripoff" and throw it down the drain.
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
Sebastian Barnes wrote:
coco in mexio is a kind of fourm to said, "skull" sometimes we said, "u me golpie el coco" so the skull is similar to the skeletons of the death people? right [Cocos] 

Okay so we have coconut, then the bogeyman, and now skull as the possible meanings behind the title. I don't read Spanish but I'm assuming the first definition is for coconut? I Google Translated "cocotero" and it looks like the longer version of "coconut". And it looks like there's a fourth possible definition but you've left that out.

Yes, "skull" would definitely make sense, for obvious reasons. Perhaps Pixar's just gonna keep the title simple then, and not make it something complicated that dedicated fans can rip apart to predict possible plot details.

Also, welcome to the forums btw! [smile] 
Quote 1 0
Andrés Sánchez
Andrés Sánchez wrote:
My guess is that Coco is the name of Miguel's late grandmother that reunites with him

Call it a year and a half ago!
Quote 1 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Excellent call on it being a grandmother!!
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy