Bonnie
Since we're all fans of an animation studio, I thought I'd ask if any of us animate.

It can be 2D, 3D, stop motion, any kind, and it doesn't need to be specifically the animating part, it can modeling, rigging, textures, FX, (sorry, I don't know many background jobs for 2D or stop motion) anything that is related to animation. Do you guys enjoy doing any of it? 

I've mentioned I'm an animation major at college. I'm focusing on CGI, and was planning for a long time to be a character animator but recently I've been thinking of being a modeler (that's the department that makes all the characters, sets, and objects. I'd presume you guys know that but my relatives' confusion over it makes me question if maybe my view of common knowledge is being warped). There's an element of problem solving to modeling, I think (i.e. how do you form a this object using only basic shapes?), which makes it kind of fun.

I'm still kind of on the fence about which I want to go with, but my school's offering this big trip to an animation expo in Los Angeles (with big name studios there. I don't think Pixar is, though), so I've been focusing on modeling so I can have a focused portfolio to send in to try and get accepted for that. If some of the projects go well maybe I'll post them here when they're done. 

Quote 3 0
PixarsBiggestFan
I take a high school level computer animation class that covers all departments. It's 4 hours for 12 Saturdays, with next Saturday being the last. The software I use here is Maya.

I also did middle school level computer animation last summer, 2 hours every weekday for 4 weeks. The software used there was Cinema4D, where you can do everything except rigging, with an addition of 3D printing (which most animation softwares can't do).

This summer, I will be doing more high school level animation for 4 hours every weekday for 4 weeks, also using Maya.

Of all the departments involved in animation, animating is my favorite because it is more straight forward than the others (although they all have a difficult concept somewhere), and it seems to be less mathematical than the others (although there still is some math. Math - especially geometry - is something that I cannot do for long periods of time. Rigging also requires extensive knowledge of the parts of moving objects, and the bones and joints of living organisms - and I am not studying animals body's since that stuff freaks me out, and I would not want to be the rigger on a character like Finding Dory's Hank because that almost broke Pixar's systems and I wouldn't want to be the cause of it).
Quote 1 0
Gray Catbird
When I was around 12, I was playing a lot with Blender (an open-source 3D software). I was a complete noob at it, but I found it really fascinating. Once, I modelled a stick figure, placed a rig on it and.... You do not want to see what the short animation test I did looked like. The rig wasn't a complete failure, but boy did I have no understanding of timing.
That's my only experience with animation. Sadly I haven't tried anything since then...
Quote 0 0
Bonnie
You guys started way earlier than me. It didn't occur to me to try until like two years before college, and I didn't actually try until college. 

Anyway, I turned the portfolio in. I don't think it'll do well. But here's something I did.

[Bug_zpsyett4d9y] 

(I made a baby Cybug for a modeling assignment before they told us about the trip, and I asked if I could include it and was told I could but I should change it to make it more of my own thing.)

PixarsBiggestFan wrote:
Math - especially geometry - is something that I cannot do for long periods of time. Rigging also requires extensive knowledge of the parts of moving objects, and the bones and joints of living organisms - and I am not studying animals body's since that stuff freaks me out, and I would not want to be the rigger on a character like Finding Dory's Hank because that almost broke Pixar's systems and I wouldn't want to be the cause of it).

Yeah, I don't like rigging either. No one in my class likes rigging.

I did have a bit of fun rigging up a "Switch" to separate parts of my Cybug so I could turn on and off the body parts. But that was fairly simple. 

Quote 1 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
This is a great thread - I shared it out on our social channels to try and garner a little more interest. I'd love to see folks share more of their experience with finding which area of animation they gravitated towards and learnings from school. I also love that you shared your Cybug - that's fantastic!

In terms of animation for me. I have a long story behind it which I've told before so I'll summarize with my experience started with flip books and drawing on anything (including text books) to make characters run and jump across the pages. I got into comics to continue my art and drew for friends, but it didn't continue into college or beyond (outside of general studies and fandom)!
Quote 1 0
Lauren Dix
I do Animate, oddly enough I am just finishing up on my latest animation/animatic final film for my 3rd year 2D Animation degree. I use to do the old fashion Paper animation, but then I kinda converted into digital animation.

I only started to want to become an animator ever since I saw the movie cars. If it was not for Pixar creating Car's I would have not pursued my dream as a animator/storyboard artist.

Once I saw the movie I new what I wanted to do in life. I thank you Pixar for making all the cars movies and giving me that inspiration to become a story board artist.

Quote 1 0
HCK
I just finished my first year as an animation major. The first-year students learn storyboarding in the first semester. By the end of second semester, we are asked to fully animate a 30-second short the old fashioned, pencil & paper way.

Here is my Animation 120 film. It's simple in that there's no color or sound, but it took months to produce, and I had a great time anyways:

Quote 2 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
First - welcome to the forum, Lauren! I'm glad you made the jump from Twitter over here and thanks as well for chatting with us on our hangouts! 

Congrats on wrapping up the 3rd year - hope the animatic goes well.

Also, HCK, thanks for sharing your "The Chorse" animation! Great work - I especially liked the animation at the beginning where you planned out how the background would move (properly) at a slower rate than the foreground where the chair was running! That's some good planning! 
Quote 1 0
Lauren Dix
Thank you for making this post Guys, Hopefully I will be able to upload my final animation up here for you Guys too see, but due to Exam policies I can not upload the animation as of yet. Until I get my grade then I can upload the film.
Quote 2 0
WarrenJB
Wow, there are a lot of folks involved in animation here! That's a seriously impressive film, HCK. Very fluid and natural, if you don't mind the opinion of a complete noob. Looking forward to what others have to show off.

I don't have anything to do with animation, though I've had a greater interest and appreciation of it recently, especially after following Andreas Deja's blog. I'm not sure if I can do much about it, unless it involves my scanner and some basic GIF software.

PixarsBiggestFan wrote:
Rigging also requires extensive knowledge of the parts of moving objects, and the bones and joints of living organisms - and I am not studying animals body's since that stuff freaks me out

That was a small part of my zoology classes and a big part of my self-taught art. [wink] The freakiest things can become mundane and unremarkable when you need to study them.
Quote 2 0
rainman
I do stop motions, if that counts as animation. I first tried my hand a couple of years back, and I've been shooting spot motions quite regularly since. I am, however, an amateur, and I mainly do it for personal satisfaction.
Quote 1 0
Pixarsuperfan8695
This is a really cool thread! 
I do 2D animation. It all started in November 2017 when I decided to recreate one of Victor Navone’s test animations in his training video. I did manage to make some progress on getting my frames done until the point where it just became too tedious since I drew my frames on paper. What I was left with was relatively short, but I was glad I did manage to bring Jessie to life. 
I’m currently writing up an animated short for my own pleasure. Don’t know if it’ll see the light of day, but I have been coming up with some concepts and I’ve been sketching stuff digitally this time so things will come along a lot faster. 
I did try modeling in Blender once but things got too complicated and I ultimately just gave up lol. 
In the future I really want to work at Pixar as a storyboard artist or character designer. 
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy