ReptilePatrol
Finding Dory currently holds a 77% on Metacritic and 92% on Rotten Tomatoes For comparison, Finding Nemo has 90% on Metacritic and 99% on Rotten Tomatoes Metacritic averages critic scores, whereas Rotten Tomatoes' percentage is the percentage of critics who gave positive reviews. A few critics are saying Finding Dory is on par with Finding Nemo, while a few are comparing it to Monsters University. Most are somewhere in between, however, saying it's good but not as good as Finding Nemo. Also, do keep in mind that these are just initial reviews, and RT & MC ratings have fluctuated when all the reviews are in, but usually (in my experience) no more than +/-10% because initial reviews can still be telling.

EDIT:
Friday, June 10: 92% RT / 77 MC
Saturday, June 11: 94% RT / 78 MC
Monday, June 13: 95% RT / 77 MC
Tuesday, June 14: 96% RT / 75 MC
Wednesday, June 15: 94% RT / 77 MC
Thursday, June 16: 95% RT [Certified Fresh] / 77 MC
Saturday, June 18: 95% RT / 78 MC
Tuesday, June 22: 94% RT / 77 MC

RT Critics' Consensus (Thurs June 16): "Funny, poignant, and thought-provoking, Finding Dory delivers a beautifully animated adventure that adds another entertaining chapter to its predecessor's classic story."
Quote 0 0
Vellerie
I have a feeling that the "not as good as original" sentiment stems from the lack of novelty of the subject matter since the world and characters have already been explored in the previous installment. I admit that I would probably feel the same in the case of an Inside Out sequel, no matter how good it is, but, as always, I'm going to form my own opinion before reading any reviews. But the percentages don't seem that bad so far, as far as these things go (Alice through the Looking Glass opened with 20% in both lol, and Jungle Book has 77% on Metacritic and Zootopia a 78% on metacritic despite common reception being positive).
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
True, percentages don't matter *too* much, and critics have misjudged movies before (Monsters Inc and A Bug's Life have nearly identical Metascores, but the former is overwhelming more loved, I'd say). However, this is the first look we're getting at the film in terms of quality, so it's definitely exciting to hear people's initial reactions. Plus these ratings are a standardized way to compare movie quality even if the mathematical way of agglomerating various critics' opinions often yield results inconsistent with our opinions.

For context: Toy Story: 100% RT / 92 MC
A Bug's Life: 92% RT / 77 MC
Toy Story 2: 100% RT / 88 MC
Monsters, Inc: 96% RT / 78 MC
Finding Nemo: 99% RT / 90 MC
The Incredibles: 97% RT / 90 MC
Cars: 74% RT / 73 MC
Ratatouille: 96% RT / 96 MC
WALL-E: 96% RT / 94 MC
Up: 98% RT / 88 MC
Toy Story 3: 99% RT / 92 MC
Cars 2: 39% RT / 57 MC
Brave: 78% RT / 69 MC
Monsters University: 78% RT / 65 MC
Inside Out: 98% RT / 94 MC
The Good Dinosaur: 76% RT / 66 MC
Finding Dory: 95% RT / 77 MC

List of Pixar films by Rotten Tomatoes scores:
Toy Story 2 (100%)
Toy Story (100%)
Toy Story 3 (99%)
Finding Nemo (99%)
Inside Out (98%)
Up (98%)
The Incredibles (97%)
WALL-E (96%)
Ratatouille (96%)
Monsters Inc (96%)
Finding Dory (95%)
A Bug's Life (92%)
Monsters University (78%)
Brave (78%)
The Good Dinosaur (76%)
Cars (74%)
Cars 2 (39%)

List of Pixar films by Metascore:
Ratatouille (96)
Inside Out (94)
WALL-E (94)
Toy Story 3 (92)
Toy Story (92)
The Incredibles (90)
Finding Nemo (90)
Up (88)
Toy Story 2 (88)
Monsters Inc (78)
Finding Dory (77) 
A Bug's Life (77)
Cars (73)
Brave (69)
The Good Dinosaur (66)
Monsters University (65)
Cars 2 (57)

Although I'm sure nobody here has their list of favorite Pixar films in the same order as Rotten Tomatoes and Metascore, if these two are the film industry's version of standardized examinations, Finding Dory so far scores high enough to rank amongst the top tier of Pixar films, even if it is at the lower end of said top tier and might not be as good as the original. However, to be fair, under 25% of the usual number of reviews are in, so the score may still change! (I remember The Good Dinosaur had the same debut Metascore as Finding Dory at 77, but then after it released settled to a 66 ... let's hope Finding Dory goes the other way haha)
Quote 0 0
Sally
I'm happy and worried about this, i mean, it's getting good (for now) with critics, also it's important to remember that the RT numbers aren't final yet until the film is release and the offical rating is in, along with a Certifed Fresh

Also seeing it Thursday (not related to the Dory after Dark event, though im seeing Finding Nemo sometime later this week) so im really really exicted
Quote 0 0
Vellerie
It's interesting that Cars 2 actually has a higher rating on metacritic than rotten tomatoes, And I don't know if this is right, but it seems that critics of movies have become harsher over the years, similar to how movie ratings have become harsher. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that if it's true, because I fully admit to being a harsh critic when it comes to books (books are my main thing) and negative reviews are interesting to read regardless of my own opinion.

Also, personal favorites aside, I do actually agree with the order of the rotten tomatoes Pixar scores for the most part, though I think the Incredibles is too high (being above Wall-E).
Quote 0 0
Sebastian Barnes
http://www.thewrap.com/all-17-pixar-movies-ranked-worst-to-best-finding-dory-toy-story/

Hey look in this pixar ranking Finding dory is at number 7th
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
@Sally excellent point. I'll keep my post updated as the changes roll in [smile]

@Vellerie I'm not sure about harshness, but with an increasing quantity of critics it's led to more averaged out Metascores, as well as lower Rotten Tomatoes scores. Metascore operates by averaging critic scores, so the more critics there are the more averaged out it'll be. Rotten Tomatoes though, is the percentage of critics who gave it a positive review, so the more critics there are the more likely it is that a movie will get a bad review and therefore have its score lowered - one reason no Pixar film has gotten 100% since Toy Story 2, but 98% and 99% remains common (nowadays there's always one or two critics who dislike a Pixar movie and it ends up with a 99% instead of a 100% - a scenario that would be rather rare on Metacritic). And this difference in the way they calculate their percentages has indeed resulted in an interesting discrepancy for Cars 2 — tied with Monsters Inc as the biggest, with an 18% difference.
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
Update: Finding Dory is now Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with a 95% Tomatometer score, and a Critics' Consensus that reads:

Rotten Tomatoes Critics Consensus wrote:
Funny, poignant, and thought-provoking, Finding Dory delivers a beautifully animated adventure that adds another entertaining chapter to its predecessor's classic story.

Although the 95% is 4% lower than Finding Nemo's 99% and higher only than A Bug's Life, Cars, Cars 2, Brave, MU and TGD (Pixar's "second-tier" films), the 95% is pretty close to the 96% held by WALL-E, Ratatouille, and Monsters, Inc. ... so even if it doesn't fully live up to the original, it looks like it'll still be a pretty good movie! The 77 Metascore is a bit more troubling but I'll be seeing the film myself tomorrow to judge for myself [smile]
Quote 1 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy