Luis504170
After my (stupid) worries of Inside Out becoming forgotten I started to think "What Pixar films have been forgotten?" A Bug's Life is one we've talked about but we haven't really talked about Ratatouille. 

I think Ratatouille (Like Inside Out and like Wall-E) its Pixar at its best. I love Ratatouille. 

But when I talk to people about Pixar, Ratatouille almost never shows up in the conversation, I'm the one that has to bring it up and people are like "Oh yeah!! There's that one as well! Hahaha guess I forgot!"

Maybe I'm just a little bit paranoid since Ratatouille is so special to me and I love that movie. It never really gets a mention. 

Even here in the forums Ratatouille is not a common reference to topics that bring the entirety of Pixar's work for discussion. 

After all, Ratatouille deserves attention for being so risky and unique. It is the highest rated Pixar movie on Metacritic with a 96. The critics on Metacritic are extremely though, seeing a 96 on there is extremely hard. Even Toy Story which is a classic has a 89 or 90. On Rotten Tomatoes, Ratatouille is seen as an equal among the other Pixar films with a 97%. The majority sits between 96%-100%.

Ratatouille was also the highest rated movie of 2007. Not just in animation, but movies in general. 

Do you feel the same way? If you do, why do think it has become forgotten? (At least compared to the other Pixar films)

Also, what do you think of the film? 

And for those of you who were Pixar fans even before Ratatouille came out, what were your feelings watching it 8 years ago when it first came out. 

WOAH 8 YEARS!!!! I FEEL OOOOLD
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Oh, I LOVE Ratatouille! One of my favorite films for sure! The story, music, characters; it's all just so great. I haven't seen it for a while since I don't have the movie, and I don't really see it around in stores, so I guess it is a little forgotten. Though when I'm talking about Pixar with other people, I don't think they forgot Ratatouille is a Pixar film, just that they don't really mention it. But I'm not speaking in a general state. [wink]

I mean, the movie might have been forgotten because the film releasing right after that was Wall-E and the film released before was Cars (Is that right?), and Wall-E was really good and to some people Cars wasn't Pixar's best, and they might have been focusing on that. I know it's kind of a dumb conclusion, but oh well. If I find a better reason people don't remember it much I'll post it.

And 8 years! Wow! [smile]
Quote 1 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Yeah, I do have to agree that Ratatouille is one of Pixar's movies that does often get overlooked - sadly. It is actually within my top 5 Pixar films for sure. I love everything about it from the characters, the vocal work (Patton Oswalt is amazing as Remy), the lighting and colors are crazy-good and the attention to detail in the kitchen and France are top notch!

To me Ratatouille is all about mood and it sets a perfect tone for me. I appreciate your extra research into the ratings on a few sites as well - it sells the idea of your post for sure!!

Not sure why it's overlooked, but when I talk to people about it - it's the one that I hear people think is boring most frequently. I can't agree at all, but that's what I hear from some casual viewers when I bring it up.
Quote 1 0
Luis504170
To me, Ratatouille is the most loved Pixar film in my family. From my parents, to my cousins to my aunts and uncles. They love most of Pixar's work, but one that we all watch the most is Ratatouille. It's my friends favorite animated movie. It's my aunts favorite movie. My cousin (who happens to be a critic) considers it the most well-made Pixar film. Some people really don't like the film, but it definitely does have an audience. I personally think Ratatouille is a masterpiece and I'm not in the wrong seeing all its high ratings and appreciation in the film critic community. I guess it takes true appreciation of art within a general movie goer to see that Ratatouille is actually a very special film.
Quote 0 0
Dylan
Yes Ratatouille is a great movie! I think other movies get more attention because they have a sequel or have a serie of short films or have more merchandise. The movie is wonderful and I really like the setting. I think it is great that they opened the Ratatouille Ride in Disneyland Paris, because now the movie can't be forgotten. I did the ride a few months ago and it was absolutely amazing! You actually feel like a rat and with all the 3D effects it's like you fell into the movie! 
Quote 1 0
UntoldStories113
Luis504170 wrote:
I guess it takes true appreciation of art within a general movie goer to see that Ratatouille is actually a very special film.

I'd like to point out that this kinda discourages people from voicing differing opinions. [wink]

Well, combo breaker reporting for duty. Personally, I have never really cared much for Ratatouille. I can even see why. I do enjoy watching it, yes, and it certainly has its cool elements, like the lovely environment and atmosphere, or Ego's final criticism. But the one thing that gets me attracted to Pixar movies is characters, and compared to other Pixar movies, Ratatouille seems lacking to me in that regard. Remy has never really inspired me to care about him the way I do about, say, Mike, or Woody, or now Fear. Neither has Linguini, or anyone in the movie, really. No one in this movie gives me a feeling of "hey, this is a layered personality I've never seen before in other movies; I want to know more about him/her!" And thus, while what Remy goes through is true and sympathy-inspiring and relatable, I just don't feel any of that as strongly as I do in other cases. And that does, indeed, make the movie slightly forgettable for me.

Again, that doesn't mean I don't like it. It means I like other Pixar movies more.
And even the Pixar movie I like least (for the record: that's Brave) is still better than 90% of what one can see on TV. [wink]
Quote 0 0
mac95
I have never thought about that before, UntoldStories113. But now that you bring that up, I actually agree with you.
Nobody think that I don't like the film, though. It is fantastic and Brad Bird and his team brought this film to life fantastically and pushed the boundaries of film.
Quote 0 0
BeanoMaster
I loved Ratatouille, it's in my Top 5 Pixar movies.

Yeah, I haven't heard many people talk about it in the last few years, apart from Ratatouille in Concert and Ratatouille 3D. Maybe if they ever make a sequel, which is possible as Brad Bird is coming back into animation, people will talk more about it again.
Quote 0 0
Bonnie
Frankly, no, I don't really see it as being forgotten. Yeah, it doesn't get much official attention (over here. Over in Paris it got its own park section, which is more than most Pixar films can say), but most of the movies are ignored in that regard (they shouldn't be, but still). In the audience sense from my experience it gets just as much attention as their other films that aren't plastered everywhere. 

As for my own opinion on it...this thread's actually made me realize that I'm kind of a massive hypocrite cause good grief there are so many things in this movie that make me dislike other movies and I can't name what makes up for them. I rarely laughed, I didn't cry (and believe me, I've TRIED to cry at this. I think I got some moist eyes and that was about it. I don't get what it is with Brad Bird that he makes these really awful situations that I know would be terrible to be in yet watching them unfold just doesn't affect me like the other movies), large chunks of the plot rely on something really stupid...

Crud, guys, I can't remember why I liked this movie. [Confused_zps36c72db0]

Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
I feel like the way Ratatouille keeps getting overlooked (that "oh yeah, and Ratatouille" afterthought kind of thing I have definitely encountered) is something that also happens to a degree with Brad Bird's other films. The Iron Giant and The Incredibles both also have their fair share of fans, but I feel even The Incredibles isn't mentioned as often as Finding Nemo, WALL-E, Up, and the Toy Story franchise, in both Disney/Pixar marketing and in news articles and everyday conversations.

Ratatouille's Metascore is indeed very impressive, but I think a more consistent pattern can be found here in Pixar's movies' and The Iron Giant's IMDb score. The Pixar movies that I feel tend to not be as "forgotton", Monsters Inc./Nemo/WALL-E/Up/Toy Story franchise, all have above 8.0 on IMDb or are part of a franchise (in the case of MU and TS2) that has other films above the 8.0 mark (you can't really talk about Toy Story and Toy Story 3 and forget about Toy Story 2, right?). Brad Bird's three animated films all sport an 8.0, while the other often forgotten Pixar films, A Bug's Life/Cars franchise/Brave, I think can be easily considered just as "forgotten" as Ratatouille. Of course, the IMDb rating is usually only good for checking general trends and doesn't always correlate as well with critics on Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic.
Quote 0 0
Luis504170
ReptilePatrol wrote:
I feel like the way Ratatouille keeps getting overlooked (that "oh yeah, and Ratatouille" afterthought kind of thing I have definitely encountered) is something that also happens to a degree with Brad Bird's other films. The Iron Giant and The Incredibles both also have their fair share of fans, but I feel even The Incredibles isn't mentioned as often as Finding Nemo, WALL-E, Up, and the Toy Story franchise, in both Disney/Pixar marketing and in news articles and everyday conversations.

Ratatouille's Metascore is indeed very impressive, but I think a more consistent pattern can be found here in Pixar's movies' and The Iron Giant's IMDb score. The Pixar movies that I feel tend to not be as "forgotton", Monsters Inc./Nemo/WALL-E/Up/Toy Story franchise, all have above 8.0 on IMDb or are part of a franchise (in the case of MU and TS2) that has other films above the 8.0 mark (you can't really talk about Toy Story and Toy Story 3 and forget about Toy Story 2, right?). Brad Bird's three animated films all sport an 8.0, while the other often forgotten Pixar films, A Bug's Life/Cars franchise/Brave, I think can be easily considered just as "forgotten" as Ratatouille. Of course, the IMDb rating is usually only good for checking general trends and doesn't always correlate as well with critics on Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic.

You have a point! Although for ratings I find Rotten Tomatoes a more reliable source, it gets real reviews from critics and gets a percentage on how many considered it "good". The Incredibles and Ratatouille are seen as equals on Rotten Tomatoes.

The scores are below:
Toy Story - 100%
A Bug's Life - 92%
Toy Story 2 - 100%
Monsters Inc - 96%
Finding Nemo - 99%
The Incredibles - 97%
Cars - 74%
Ratatouille - 96%
Wall-E - 96%
Up - 98%
Toy Story 3 - 99%
Cars 2 - 39%
Brave - 78%
Monsters University - 78%
Inside Out - 98%

Only an average of 1-3 movies a year get a 95% and above. Pixar has been doing that so consistently its impressive. I find The Incredibles and Ratatouille just as good as Wall-E, Up, Toy Story, Inside Out and the other Pixar masterpieces. I can sort of see how they are overlooked as they have a very different tone and atmosphere that set themselves apart from the other Pixar efforts. Although I do not believe The Incredibles is overlooked, I mean people have been screaming for a sequel for years now, and they still are. Pixar and non-Pixar fans.

Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
Although Incredibles definitely isn't as "forgotten" as Ratatouille, due in part to the huge demand for a sequel, I think the tone and atmosphere you've mentioned definitely sets Incredibles and Ratatouille apart from Pixar's other films - perhaps in part because of Brad Bird and his distinct style, and because of this, I think that if we were to rank Pixar's films in terms of forgotten-ness, I'd place Incredibles closer to Ratatouille than the WALL-E/Up/Nemo/Toy Story camp. Something else to consider - perhaps Ratatouille's complicated title has led to people subconsciously choosing other films to reference instead when talking about Brad Bird or Pixar? For example, when talking about Brad Bird's best films, a lot of people would probably have The Incredibles come to mind faster than Ratatouille, while if talking about Pixar's best films, WALL-E/Up/Nemo would probably come to mind faster than Ratatouille, which leads into what you've said originally with Ratatouille being relegated to afterthought. In fact, marketing for Pixar films has consistently chosen WALL-E, Up, Nemo, etc., and even Cars over Ratatouille for their "from the creators of" sections too.

What's a real shame though, of course, is what's happened to The Iron Giant.
Quote 1 0
mac95
I don't think the Cars franchise is overlooked, as people will be discussing possible events of Cars 3 up until it's release. There is also a lot of hate for Cars 2, and it is hard to forget about the most hated Pixar film.
Quote 0 0
Luis504170
I find Ratatouille to be a masterpiece and one of the most atmospheric films that has come from Pixar. The bold plot was handled with so much care and creativity that shifted the tone and grounded the movie in reality, while still keeping the fictional elements on its focal point. It is very tough to see such a wonderful film like Ratatouille be overlooked. Maybe not "forgotten" as I said in the forum topic, excuse my poor choice of words, but it is definitely overlooked. I haven't had a problem with The Incredibles, at least not were I live, people still talk about The Incredibles. I remember as an April Fools joke I came into class and said "Did you guys see the new trailer for The Incredibles 2?" Literally half of the class started screaming and standing up from their chairs.

Also taking into a account the reality that it is much harder to merchandise a rat. Me personally, my kid self wouldn't have been interested in buying a rat plush. (I really want one right now) And to my dismay, finding Ratatouille related stuff at Disney Parks was a task! 
Quote 0 0
ReptilePatrol
That Ratatouille is a masterpiece and a wonderful movie is usually never questioned. What's interesting though, of course, is as you've said, it always comes up last in conversations about Pixar ("oh, yeah, and Ratatouille") whereas other films like WALL-E, Up, Toy Story, Nemo, are always immediately said first. Most everybody knows about all these films when they are mentioned of course, so I think the key thing here is how Ratatouille is usually listed last, almost like an after thought, despite it being of similar caliber to Pixar's other top works. So yeah, not "forgotten," but simply a film that rarely comes to mind first - it often just comes to mind second instead, after all the other great Pixar movies have already been listed.

It's a very peculiar phenomenon that I've theorized as attributed to Brad Bird's distinct style, and possibly the way it was marketed as well, and possibly even as you've said, the way it's merchandised. And I feel that if we were to make a spectrum out of this, with Ratatouille being on one end and the most oft-mentioned Pixar films like Nemo and WALL-E at the other, I feel that Cars and Incredibles, alongside A Bug's Life, would be closer to the Ratatouille end of the spectrum. Everybody knows what these all are when you mention them of course, but the interesting thing is how such a spectrum would not necessarily correlate with movie quality - Ratatouille being left behind so often despite being generally considered one of Pixar's very best.
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy