Pixarer

I really hope that Pixar (and Disney or any other film study for that matter) learns from the bizarre scene in The Good Dinosaur (you'll know what I mean when you see it) that they will not put any other sort of scene in their movies from now on.

A fruit scene that is completely out of context and makes no sense whatsoever. Would that really do that to you? It seems as though all of the other elements in every other Pixar film made sense and was completely believable as such but then this comes through. And like I said, considering the movie's mixed reception and currently underperforming box office numbers, that must tell you something. Its not that big of a stretch to suggest that this scene could have tainted people's feelings towards the rest of the movie (even if it actually did get better after this scene), also bringing other complaints about it to a brighter light when otherwise they may have been disregarded.

I cannot believe that anyone would even think that you'd want something like that.They actually had the sense to cut a similar Cars 1 Deleted scene that thankfully got changed to something not only less disturbing but more functional for the story in the final film. Seeing something ridiculously bizarre (not to mention pointless and about as "out there" as you can go) happen to characters that you love just smugs you and makes you never look at them the same way again. There are appropriate ways to tell the story and create humour with it than to resort to bizarre adult referenced humour. They have done that in the past with all of their other films which from the look of things are going to be a lot more successful and memorable then this will be.

It is also unchallenging and unimaginative that they have to result to desperate, bizarre humour just to tell a story. They have discarded these kind of elements from their movies in the past, and all of their movies before now would probably have not been as memorable or celebrated had they kept those elements in. They have created movies that challenged them and brought out the bestow their imaginative thoughts before now. I mean if they were to get drunk did we really need to see all of that multi eyed crap? We could have seen them doing daring stunts, or being praised by not only Arlo's family but the T-rexes or other characters which by the way would have helped set up things later on in the movie. Alternatively there could have been other funny moments of humour which could have showed their bonding like a set up of the sky lift scene, and showing Arlo overcoming his fears in a funny way or seeing his fears as something silly. That would have more effectively brought poignance to Butch's speech about not eliminating fear, but not letting it control you.

Was the delay in production enough to tear that kind of creativity out of them? Yet, they revamped the entire movie of Toy Story 2 (aka my favourite movie and the movie that made me want to get into making movies (and NOT animated movies for that matter, just movies in general)) in 9 months when it was normally a 4 year process. Here they revamped the entire movie in 2 years and 3 months. What happened? Did they forget the process that they went through and how that film turned out? While others may not like it as much as me, consider the following facts:

Toy Story 2 has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

It won the Golden Globe for Best Picture (as in for ANY movie in general, period)

It made pretty close to $500 Million at the box office

I've yet to meet one soul (online or not) who was disappointed in it. Even those who normally hate sequels say that they loved this one. "The rare sequel that is just as good or better than its predecessor." I've also met many people who even say that they liked this one better than Toy Story 3 and consider it one of Pixar's best.

Now let's look at The Good Dinosaur:

78% on Rotten Tomatoes (even lower on other critic sites)

Pretty much the lowest opening in Pixar's history (and considering that ticket prices are more expensive and it has the 3-D element, the movie's opening should be higher than the movies which were released in 2D, which were more than half of the previously released ones)

Quite a lot of people (even those that did like it) have called it disappointing or even "meh" and most have agreed that they would have cut this messed up bizarre scene out of the movie.

Bottom line is that Pixar could have challenged themselves and put more imaginative input into this movie like they have in the past. All reviews and reactions that I have seen towards this movie state that they didn't even find that it felt Pixarish.

And by the way, Inside Out earlier this year had the biggest opening (excluding Toy Story 3) of all time for Pixar and the biggest opening for an original movie AND the biggest opening for a second place at the box office movie. It was loved by most and you would think that this fact along with the popularity of dinosaurs, fuelled by the to grossing movie of the year (and the top 3 highest grosser of all time), that it would be enough to make this movie do better and even receive a better acclaim.

Quote 0 0
mac95
Welcome to the forums, Pixarer!

You are right in that it was a bizarre scene. But I think that you might be overthinking how much this scene affects things.

Comparing The Good Dinosaur's production to Toy Story 2's is unfair. They were made in different times, with different people, with different stakes, with a different story.

I can't tell if you are suggesting this or not, but I don't think the fruit scene has affected The Good Dinosaur's box office numbers.

Originally posted by Pixarer
Quote:

And like I said, considering the movie's mixed reception and currently underperforming box office numbers, that must tell you something. Its not that big of a stretch to suggest that this scene could have tainted people's feelings towards the rest of the movie (even if it actually did get better after this scene), also bringing other complaints about it to a brighter light when otherwise they may have been disregarded.

While people may have been thrown off and confused by this scene, I think that people will walk away from the film thinking, "I liked that movie, although that fruit scene was weird," rather than "That movie was going good, but then that fruit scene just ruined the movie!"

Quote:
And by the way, Inside Out earlier this year had the biggest opening (excluding Toy Story 3) of all time for Pixar and the biggest opening for an original movie AND the biggest opening for a second place at the box office movie. It was loved by most and you would think that this fact along with the popularity of dinosaurs, fuelled by the to grossing movie of the year (and the top 3 highest grosser of all time), that it would be enough to make this movie do better and even receive a better acclaim.

I don't think it's time to talk about the financial success of The Good Dinosaur. Whether or not it had a good opening weekend, it hasn't even been out for a week yet. It could make a lot of money in the upcoming weeks.

Quote:
I mean if they were to get drunk did we really need to see all of that multi eyed crap?

They were not drunk, they were hallucinating.
Quote 1 0
andreas the pixar maniac
mac95 wrote:
Welcome to the forums, Pixarer!

You are right in that it was a bizarre scene. But I think that you might be overthinking how much this scene affects things.

Comparing The Good Dinosaur's production to Toy Story 2's is unfair. They were made in different times, with different people, with different stakes, with a different story.

I can't tell if you are suggesting this or not, but I don't think the fruit scene has affected The Good Dinosaur's box office numbers.

Quote:

And like I said, considering the movie's mixed reception and currently underperforming box office numbers, that must tell you something. Its not that big of a stretch to suggest that this scene could have tainted people's feelings towards the rest of the movie (even if it actually did get better after this scene), also bringing other complaints about it to a brighter light when otherwise they may have been disregarded.

While people may have been thrown off and confused by this scene, I think that people will walk away from the film thinking, "I liked that movie, although that fruit scene was weird," rather than "That movie was going good, but then that fruit scene just ruined the movie!"

Quote:

I don't think it's time to talk about the financial success of The Good Dinosaur. Whether or not it had a good opening weekend, it hasn't even been out for a week yet. It could make a lot of money in the upcoming weeks.

Quote:
I mean if they were to get drunk did we really need to see all of that multi eyed crap?

They were not drunk, they were hallucinating.

welcome to the forums pixarer its always great to see yet another pixar fan join the forum[biggrin] 

i pretty much agree with everything mac said
i havent seen the movie yet becuse its not out yet in my country but even if that berry scene is bad i refuse to think that pepole are going to dislike the entire movie just becuse of one single scene and i also personaly thought it has done pretty well box office wise ok it wasent one of thire best openings ever but i still think it did pretty well it has allready earend 84.3 million worldwide  í think thats kinda impressive for a movie that hasent even been out for a full week yet but anyway thats pretty much all i had to say for now see ya[smile]
Quote 0 0
Luis504170

Welcome to the forums!!
I actually laughed during that scene.

I agree it was out of place, and unexpected and it may have seemed like a desperate measure to make the audience laugh. But it was still effective judging from the roar laughter that moved between the audience in my theater, both from kids and adults.

Nonetheless. I don't see how this scene could offend anyone or trigger someone's anger. I mean, it is not shoving religious or personal beliefs down the audience's throat, nor is it being sexist, it doesn't offer any controversial commentary on today's society(violence, sexual orientation, politics, gender roles) etc.

Was it unlike some of the Pixar humor we are used to seeing? Maybe, but you've got to remember each movie IS in fact made by Pixar but there is different teams on each film. This is Peter Sohn's first movie and we are barely getting a taste of his humor. And I highly doubt they were drunk, I would guess they were hallucinating. And being drunk/hallucinations has been part of Disney/Pixar innuendos for a long time now, so it wasn't really surprising to me seeing this scene thrown in there.

Pinocchio was quite controversial actually, Pinnocchio was flat out an under age kid who was drunk from drinking alcohol.

Dumbo , remember that weird hallucinating scene?

Even Pixar has been known for doing this stuff.

Buzz Lightyear - He was drunk on imaginary tea in the first Toy Story. Still has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

Ratatouille - skinner cold heartedly got Linguini drunk.

Dream works has this type of humor in their movies all the time.

Inside out is in fact considered another Pixar masterpiece, but I remember some people being turned off by the Abstract Thought scene because the scene was quite odd, unexpected and well.. Abstract. Nonetheless they adore the film.

So if there is any reason The Good Dinosaur didn't appeal to some people, I highly doubt it's.nevause of the fruit scene. And as far as your main sentence goes... If Disney didn't learn in 1941 with Dumbo, they won't learn with The Good Dinosaur this year. However this is my opinion and I respect yours. Welcome again!

Quote 0 1
Vellerie
I haven't seen this movie yet (though I'm excited to!) but I wanted to add Big Hero 6 to Luis' list of disney/pixar movies with drunk/hallucinating scenes, specifically the scene when Baymax has a low battery and acts drunk.
Quote 1 0
Luis504170
Vellerie wrote:
I haven't seen this movie yet (though I'm excited to!) but I wanted to add Big Hero 6 to Luis' list of disney/pixar movies with drunk/hallucinating scenes, specifically the scene when Baymax has a low battery and acts drunk.

Lol! That was so great! Thank you!
Quote 0 0
andreas the pixar maniac
and dont forget uncle waldo from the aristocats he was drunk too and in robin hood hiss got drunk becuse
friar tuck traped him inside a ale barrel
Quote 0 0
Pixarer
Its not so much that they hallucinated but what the images were of when hallucinating. The Pink Elephants sequence did not do anything to Dumbo yet here we see Arlo and Spot in a very bizarre way that makes me never think about them the same way again. And again, the fact that they hallucinated (in a way that did not make any sense at all for the record) when it seemed very out of place like it was not even part of the same movie and for no real reason to have it in there makes me disturbed. I know Pixar can do better than this. Like I said there was a very disturbing deleted scene that they cut from Cars 1 that would have been funny to some but what they had in the final film was not only more creative and challenging but it still created more humour and felt more natural and appropriate for the movie. While I can disregard this scene through simple fan editing, whats to say that something like this will occur in Toy Story 4 or another Pixar film? It may not be so easily edited away or disregarded next time. 
Quote 0 0
Arlo
Pixarer although I thought the Fruit Scene was not needed, I don't think the scene did any harm to the overall film. It's not like the whole film was ruined because of that one scene. The fruit scene is also a very forgettable sequence and one that I forgot until I saw this topic. Also, I wouldn't compare Toy Story 2 to The Good Dinosaur. They are both very different films. Pixarer the fruit scene did not mess up the whole feature. It was actually I felt a very touching film, and even if the fruit scene was plain out weird, the film was very touching, very beautifully and amazing. And I'm surprised about how it got mixed reviews. Because I really loved the film. And I felt the fruit scene did not do any harm, and I actually thought it was kind of funny! Overall the fruit scene did not ruin the movie and I actually thoroughly enjoyed "The Good Dinosaur". Also the images of them hallucinating was not that disturbing, I thought it was kind of funny! 

• TitleLuxo, Jr.
  • Posts4
  • Member SinceYesterday at 01:34pm
  • Last ActiveOffline47 minutes ago

Quote 0 0
Vellerie
If they've thought of a similar hallucinogenic scene for other movies and didn't go through with it, but decided to now, that makes me wonder if they'll ever make a movie in which they actually keep their oft-deleted school play scene lol.
Quote 1 0
Gray Catbird
For my part, I was absolutely freaked out by the hallucinating scene... But like several others, I don't think it can ruin the movie.

It seems animated films (especially non-Pixar ones) always have that one scene where they make some really poor humour (toilet humour being the most common). People find it funny, I don't. But then the story goes on and it's not worse than that.

I agree with Luis504170 that there was a similarly useless-but-absolutely-striking scene in Inside Out. It also reminds me of the stinging glow urchin pass in MU...But I also think the comparison with Inside Out and MU is unfair. Those sequences were extended, defining moments of those films. The one in TGD is just a really, really weird thing that lasts 5 seconds.. As such it comes off as much more random.
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
What exactly happens in that scene? I heard that at first it looks odd and then as the scene continues it just looks flat out weird/freaky.
Quote 0 0
andreas the pixar maniac
I HAVE FOUND THE CLIP and boy its way more crazy and disturbing than i thought [Confused_zps36c72db0]

Quote 0 0
andreas the pixar maniac
but even though this scene is not funny at all i still dont think its as bad as the bloopers they show at the end of toy story  2 monsters inc and a bugs life :/
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
What the heck?!?!? This is just outright mind scarring! Darn it, I wish I have never seen that!! This is Pixar? Horrifying! Terrible! And it's rated PG! I would love it if Pixar got a PG-13 rating for this film; it would make them think twice about making a scene like this again (and the other violent scenes), make the parents more careful about what their kids are watching and be an embarrassment to the Pixar name. I hate this scene! [frown][frown][frown]

EDIT: I can't believe Pixar would ever sacrifice story for visuals and fear, but I guess it just seemed funny to Peter Sohn to include animals being eaten alive on screen, this horrendous clip, and a dinosaur drowning a croc in his blood. The director probably figured that the children will blindly agree on his sense of humor and laugh along while Arlo is getting bullied by Buck. Who knows? And it probably was a GREAT message to release to preteens and adolescents that are going through some troubles that you need to prove your worth otherwise you're not any benefit to the world and people around you but rather, a burden.

Now I'm sure that I don't want to see this film. It is an insult to the company name and it took a lot for me to think that Pixar is going through some story problems, but now I'll willfully believing it. In fact, I'd rather watch Turbo on the big screen than this sorry excuse of movie.
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy