Dan the Pixar Fan
PIXAR POST - T.J. Edit (May 27) - Since Dan's comments about Inside Out were so great we're going to feature them on Episode #029 of the Pixar Post Podcast. Share your thoughts based on the movie, the clip Dan included below (showing the test animation of Joy), chat about the connection to Herman's Head or anything else and we may include a summary of your thoughts on the next show. Dan's original post is below...

With Inside Out being just over a year a way, I've been extra excited about it lately (especially since I'm sure we're very close to getting our first teaser trailer).

Because I'm pumped for this, I've been looking up everything that I can find that has been released in regards to the film. One of my findings was something I don't think I had ever seen before (if I had, it was a while back), but I'm sure this is old news for many of you.

In this video, Pete Docter showed a clip of an actual animation test of how Joy will look, move and express herself as well as talks about how these characters aren't flesh and blood, but made of energy (which required new technology for Pixar to achieve).

Also while looking up everything I could about Inside Out, I found that many people feel it could have been loosely inspired by an old show from the early 90's called "Herman's Head" which had a similar basic premise. There also may be some slight similarities to Disney World's "Cranium Command" in Epcot, if you remember that show (since closed). Thoughts?

[ScreenShot2014-05-20at84950AM_zps69db2199] 
In addition, speaking of basic premises that may have inspired some other Pixar films (or at least have similarities, if not inspired by), what are other ones you can think of? Of course I'm not saying Pixar copied others' ideas in any way. I just feel that we are all inspired by the world and stories around us and Pixar seems to often expand and originate concepts, stories or ideas previously known. Here are mine:
Toy Story trilogy- Couldn't help but notice big similarities while watching "The Brave Little Toaster" recently (which I know John Lasseter had hopes to do with 3D animation, but it got tanked)

A Bug's Life- "The Ant and the Grasshopper"

Monsters Inc.- "There's a Nightmare in my Closet" (which John Lasseter also adapted into a short animated film back in the 80s)

The Incredibles- Non- specific to one but inspired by many of the great super hero stories from over many years

Cars- "Doc Hollywood"

Monsters University- "Animal House" (and others like it)

Any others you can think of?
Quote 0 0
mac95
I have never seen that before, actually. Really cool animation test! Joy definetly reminds me of Tinker Bell, but in the best way possible, not like they copied her or anything.
The Ant and the Grasshopper was the only one I could think of, but I have a character one as well. Wall-e the character was inspired by R2-D2, the lovable robot from the Star Wars franchise. Andrew Stanto was always pushing to the artists, "We want R2-D2, not C-3PO." And "I want R2-D2: The Movie".
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
I actually had seen that video clip of Joy before and it was great to see her character in motion. I wonder when Pete talks about this being new technology for Pixar what he means? Anyone have any thoughts on that? To me it seems like (in a way) that it's a combination of how their human characters are typically animated mixed with the "gummy bear" effect from Finding Nemo (where the fish had a slight translucency to their skin to really make them look like fish). Is that what Pete is talking about?

Also, in regards to Herman's Head - I do vaguely remember the show now that I think about it more. We actually are going to feature this on episode 029 of the Podcast so we'll chat more about the comparison then, but it is interesting to think of all the connections to other stories and how things may have influenced Pete's story creation process. I could be nuts, but I'd have to think that another story going inside the mind of someone had to have existed before Herman's Head as well...right? Well, I guess we'll need to look into that as well.

Feel free to post any additional insights or thoughts here and we'll discuss it more on episode 29 of the podcast (episode 28 is coming out today, May 27, so it will be a few weeks).
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
As another example of going inside the human mind - Reason and Emotion (1943 - Disney)

Quote 0 0
Dan the Pixar Fan
Great find TJ on that last video! Very interesting...pretty good too! I enjoyed it. That's another one you'll definitely have to talk about in the podcast.

and thanks for the mentions on the last one! It was a fantastic episode! Can't wait for the next one.
Quote 0 0
ThisDayInPixar
I never saw Herman's Head, but I also thought of Cranium Command from the Epcot Wonders of Life pavilion. I really enjoyed that show, was sad when they closed the pavilion. Except for maybe the wackiness of the show I don't think there will be any similarities; the characters in Cranium Command were body parts, like the heart, stomach, etc.
Quote 0 0
Ultimate iPad Expert
I love hearing everyone's thoughts and excitement for Inside Out! I am so excited and I'm literally searching the web for what I can find. Waiting is sometimes the worst part, especially without a Pixar film this year. Anyway, I found another shot from Annecy (I believe):
[10386951_10152564135249078_3377705578540589449_o] 
Can't wait!
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Yeah, I've been watching the internet (RSS feeds, website and more) like a hawk trying to spot something new. Thanks for posting the updated photo, Ultimate iPad Expert, from the Pixar Facebook page - I had been meaning to do that! 

I never personally saw Cranium Command myself so it's been interesting to see what others have had to say...but for the most part - yeah, it doesn't seem like there will be too many similarities.
Quote 0 0
Ultimate iPad Expert
Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:
I never personally saw Cranium Command myself so it's been interesting to see what others have had to say...but for the most part - yeah, it doesn't seem like there will be too many similarities.

I never actually saw the ride the times I had been to Disney World, but I watched it a little while ago, on a Youtube video. It seems somewhat similar to Inside Out, except the body is not really controlled by the emotions. I scoured the internet to find the video again, you can watch the full ride in the video below:

Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
By the way - in case anyone hasn't heard Episode 29 of the Podcast yet, we chatted about this topic on the episode as well! We also talked with Pixarian, Craig Foster, who is a team member of the art department.

[Pixar+Post+Podcast+-+Episode+29+Square] 
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy