16%
 8 6 votes
33%
 9 4 votes
22%
 10 2 votes
11%
This poll has been closed.
The first showings for Pixar´s latest effort The Good Dinosaur start today at 7pm. Come back here to share your thoughts on the film! 

Let´s keep it spoiler free till next week like the Inside Out review threat. It can get very hard to avoid spoilers even when you know they are coming. 
Quote 1 0
csp131

8/10 (or 9/10 on a curve)

Just came home from the theater, and I'm glad to have seen it in 3D.

Sanjay's Super Team was brilliant, and amazing in 3D.

While some seem to consider the storyline to be weak in the Good Dino, I personally think I may have enjoyed the film more than Inside Out, (and that's tough to beat!). The visuals were stunning -- very photo-realistic. The score and setting were beautiful, and both Spot and Arlo were really strong characters.

What surprised me about this film though, was the lack of silliness, especially for the kids.  Once again, like Inside Out before it, I think this film is going to be enjoyed more by the adult audience.  I didn't find this film nor Inside Out to be "laugh out loud" funny, but I did chuckle a few times.  I did appreciate the lack of silly gags that you might find in other animated films, because I really don't find them funny.  

Overall, I really enjoyed the film. It's definitely going to be one a high ranking Pixar film to me.

Quote 2 0
andreas the pixar maniac
the movie just hit theaters and yet few to none of you guys have commented on anything good dinosaur related i thought this was going to be a big event or something like that and yet with the exception of a comment on the offical clips thread the last real comment was 11 hours ago:/ ps im not angry or sad or anything i just find it kinda werid that the movie is finally out and almost no one has talked about it[wink]
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
In the U.S., it's only 1:35 PM EST currently and I'd assume most people are going to review later or in a few days after the weekend viewing - plus, Thanksgiving holiday is in there with a lot of families traveling as well. Patience will produce what you're looking for! [Smug_zpsbec03801]
Quote 1 0
maxxie03
I just saw the film and I have to say I enjoyed it. The characters, visuals and score were the things I enjoyed the most. The story was ok, but could have used more development. Arlo & Spot's journey wasn't as fantastic as other road trip journeys we've seen in animated films (Finding Nemo, Tangled etc.) and basically all the characters who they met along the way were already spoiled in the trailer so there weren't any big surprises and they were kind of predictable. 

The visuals were absolutely amazing, from the beautiful landscapes and simulation of the clouds, water, fog etc. to the very well animated characters. I really started to love most of the character designs while watching the film (with a few exceptions like Thunderclap and his gang and the critters that looked very realistic), but I absolutely loved Arlo and his family, Spot, the T-rex's etc. 

The score was also fantastic and I can't wait to listen to it again. It's definitely one of those scores that I will be listening to in school when I'm working on projects since it's very relaxing and beautiful. 

I absolutely fell in love with most of the characters. I absolutely LOVED Spot and the T-Rex's (they were my favorites) and Arlo was really great too! I liked his family but they could have used some more development (especially Momma, Libby and Buck). Forest was a fun character and the raptors were pretty cool too. I didn't like Thunderclap and his gang unfortunately.

As much as I loved the film, there were moments that I absolutely loved and moments that I really disliked, that is why I couldn't rate it any higher than a 7. I thought the first act was fantastic, then the second act felt very much like short clips edited together rather than one big cohesive storyline, they tried to hard on the road trip storyline and meeting different characters along the way which simply didn't work, the third act was once again fantastic though and I loved the ending. 

Also the resembles to The Lion King was CRAZY! There were so many similarities that I felt it was almost a carbon copy of The Lion King, which is unfortunate. 

Anyhow, I loved the film. I'm not hating on it, just trying to be critical and giving my opinion. Feel free to comment back and share what you think and if you disagree definitely let me know! I can't wait to read what you guys think, and if you haven't seen it yet, you're in for a treat! [wink] Also with Sanjay's Super Team! 
Quote 0 0
binoculars the rabbit

I'll respond in depth when more posters start sharing their thoughts, but overall, I was disappointed. I've been really looking forward to this movie and everything I saw in trailers/interviews seemed promising (other than the cast/leadership issues, which really showed). It's not that the story is weak, I didn't mind that, it's that so many scenes are so clumsy and unnatural. I just watched Toy Story and A Bug's Life and it's crazy how PUNCHY those films are. Every beat of every scene moves the story forward.

In The Good Dinosaur, things just kind of happen. For example, when Arlo meets the herders, they can't help him get to the mountains, but they are going to a watering hole where maybe someone can help, but then Arlo randomly sees the mountains and doesn't go to the watering hole at all ... Everything was just abrupt, coincidental, and loosely narrated.

I had other issues. Even the animation, which is mostly superb, was awkward at times, particularly the scene at the very end when Arlo is walking with Momma and Libby--the movement for all three at the same time was rough.

Anyways, while I'm disappointed, it was a very unique Pixar film. Arlo went through some CRAP and dealt with some very aggressively rendered forces of weather. I would definitely sit down and watch it again, hoping the non-visual aspects might've grown on me.

6.5/10, but rated it a 6 because I feel a little let down.

Quote 1 0
ReptilePatrol
I liked it because of the *minor spoilers* emotional whallop at the end, *minor spoilers* but yeah, the story felt a bit unrefined, episodic and a tad choppy instead of what we've come to expect. It was overall a great theater experience but I'm not sure if it'll be a classic in the years to come. What's more worrying for me though, is what this means for Pixar's general direction as a studio.
Quote 2 0
mac95
Wow. Just WOW. First, I will talk about the characters because this is definitely a character-driven movie.

I've known Spot and Arlo for about a day now, and I know them as well as Buzz and Woody. Their characters are so well defined in this film. I know their motives, I know their quirks, I know what makes them tick. And it really shows what Pixar is capable of because they did this for the most part without words. I love the arcs of Spot and Arlo, how they change each other throughout the film and the bond they come to have.

I can't stress enough how impressed I am that even though I don't care for Arlo's design, I really love him as a character. He and Spot are now not just two of my favorite Pixar characters, but film characters in general. Arlo's arc, though I won't spoil anything, was inspiring and satisfying to see come full circle.

Spot was great, great, great! I think they didn't make him too dog-like. They really only made a dog joke when they really wanted to, and it never felt tacky. It always fit right in with the story. And not only was he funny, talk about how emotional some of the scenes got. I cried during both of his emotional scenes.

Speaking of emotional scenes, I can't wait for us to talk about those scenes. There is so much to talk about in that department!

I loved the T. rex family, specifically Butch. What a cool character. The rustlers/Velociraptors, while I thought the designs were too cartoony, were a cool little scene and I loved the feather details and the way they snaked through the grass. Forrest Woodbush, the pet collector, was hilarious and looked really cool. The Pterodactyls were creepy and a foreboding opponent. One of the most brilliant parts of the film was when their snouts cut through the clouds like reverse sharks. Such a genius idea! I would love to find out how that idea came up in production.

Next, the story. I felt the story was very simple, yet it had so many emotional layers and messages that popped up throughout the film. One of the primary complaints from critics about the film is that the story is simple, but I love it. I think it fits the feel of the movie, and the simpler story makes for more time to focus on the characters. It worked for me, since this is now one of my favorite Pixar movies! the more I write, the more I get excited about this movie!

The scenery is obviously incredible. Each shot could be a background on your laptop. I thought the water was real! I won't really say much more, because everything about the landscape of the film pretty much has already been said.

The way the lighting changed throughout the film was really cool. When Arlo is swept down the river, the lighting almost instantly changes from a kind of mid-day hue when he falls in, to an ominous gray when he comes back up for air. So the lighting was utilized very well in this movie.

The music, composed my Mychael Danna, is wonderful. It feels homey and warm at times, and then eerie and ominous. I loved the main tune for the Apatosaurus family.

The camerawork especially stuck out to me. Each shot just looked really good, and could not have been set up better. River scenes were really well done.

So, I loved the movie! The two leads had incredible emotional depth, the story was simple and sweet, and the landscapes were incredible. This all mixed together to make a touching movie that will become a Pixar classic for me.

Quote 2 0
mac95
Originally posted by ReptilePatrol
Quote:
 What's more worrying for me though, is what this means for Pixar's general direction as a studio.

Well, what do you think this means for Pixar's direction as a studio?

Originally posted by maxxie03
Quote:
 Also the resembles to The Lion King was CRAZY! There were so many similarities that I felt it was almost a carbon copy of The Lion King, which is unfortunate. 

Huh. The tragic event that happens to Arlo and Simba is obviously the same event, but beyond that, I don't really see what you're talking about. I haven't seen The Lion King in a few years, so don't blame me if I get stuff wrong.
The Lion King has a romance between Simba and Nala(I think that's her name) which Good Dino doesn't have.

In Good Dino, Arlo and his pal Spot journey through the wild, meeting several casts of characters that come in, do their part, and then leave. In The Lion King, it is Simba, who meets up with Timon and Pumbaa and then they go back to Simba's home in the Pride Lands.

Arlo was taken from his home, while Simba ran away.

Simba must take back his home from the evil Scar, while Arlo just needs to get back to his home.
Quote 0 0
maxxie03
mac95 wrote:
Quote:
 What's more worrying for me though, is what this means for Pixar's general direction as a studio.

Originally posted by maxxie03
Quote:

Huh. The tragic event that happens to Arlo and Simba is obviously the same event, but beyond that, I don't really see what you're talking about. I haven't seen The Lion King in a few years, so don't blame me if I get stuff wrong.
The Lion King has a romance between Simba and Nala(I think that's her name) which Good Dino doesn't have.

In Good Dino, Arlo and his pal Spot journey through the wild, meeting several casts of characters that come in, do their part, and then leave. In The Lion King, it is Simba, who meets up with Timon and Pumbaa and then they go back to Simba's home in the Pride Lands.

Arlo was taken from his home, while Simba ran away.

Simba must take back his home from the evil Scar, while Arlo just needs to get back to his home.

Well not the entire movie is similar, but some themes en scenes were VERY similar. Obviously Arlo losing his father, then the firefly scene with Arlo and Poppa reminded me a lot of a scene between Simba and Mufasa in TLK and near the end when Arlo falls down the cliff and Poppa returns reminded me of the scene where Mufasa appears in the sky in TLK. The scenes were executed differently, yet they still felt very similar. 
Quote 0 0
andreas the pixar maniac
wow i dont think i have ever seen a pixar movie get this mixed reviews  from both the critics and fans  even the reviews here on pixar post are very mixed but even though the reviews have been very mixed i still cant wait to see it[biggrin] the only sad thing is the fact that in my country we have to till  january 7 to see it[sadness_80_anim_gif_zpsguiaoq8w]
Quote 1 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Hey maxxie03! I have a few questions or comments. Would you mind answering them? Thanks! [biggrin]

Also, it's ok if you make them spoilery; I haven't seen the movie yet, but I don't mind. [smile]

maxxie03 wrote:

I just saw the film and I have to say I enjoyed it. The characters, visuals and score were the things I enjoyed the most. The story was ok, but could have used more development. Arlo and Spot's journey wasn't as fantastic as other road trip journeys we've seen in animated films (Finding Nemo, Tangled etc.) and basically all the characters who they met along the way were already spoiled in the trailer so there weren't any big surprises and they were kind of predictable.

Right, I've been reading a lot of reviews and one of the main complaints is the story. I've heard it was WAAAAAAAAAAY too cliché and predictable, and that the visuals was pretty much there to make up for the story. And the average moviegoer doesn't go watch a movie to moon over the sound effects or visuals in a movie (Though they will admire good effects and visuals), they're there for a good story, and it seems like this movie fell short of the usual Pixar standards.

maxxie03 wrote:

The visuals were absolutely amazing, from the beautiful landscapes and simulation of the clouds, water, fog etc. to the very well animated characters. I really started to love most of the character designs while watching the film (with a few exceptions like Thunderclap and his gang and the critters that looked very realistic), but I absolutely loved Arlo and his family, Spot, the T-rex's etc.

Wait, so you didn't like the too realistic animals? Why's that? Did it look weird in the environment or next to the more cartoony characters or did you just not like them?

maxxie03 wrote:

The score was also fantastic and I can't wait to listen to it again. It's definitely one of those scores that I will be listening to in school when I'm working on projects since it's very relaxing and beautiful.

That's good to hear. But I've also heard that there was actually no memorable tune (Unlike Inside Out or The Incredibles), and though I don't think that every movie should have a memorable composition, they should have had one for this film.

maxxie03 wrote:

I absolutely fell in love with most of the characters. I absolutely LOVED Spot and the T-Rex's (they were my favorites) and Arlo was really great too! I liked his family but they could have used some more development (especially Momma, Libby and Buck). Forest was a fun character and the raptors were pretty cool too. I didn't like Thunderclap and his gang unfortunately.

What kind of development could his family have gotten?

Also, what is it that you didn't like about Thunderclap and his group?

(Oh boy, I feel like a teacher. [tongue] All right, just a bit more...)

maxxie03 wrote:

As much as I loved the film, there were moments that I absolutely loved and moments that I really disliked, that is why I couldn't rate it any higher than a 7. I thought the first act was fantastic, then the second act felt very much like short clips edited together rather than one big cohesive storyline, they tried to hard on the road trip storyline and meeting different characters along the way which simply didn't work, the third act was once again fantastic though and I loved the ending.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what moments you didn't like and did like. *Spoiler alert* I heard that that moment with the fruit was really weird, but I don't know, some people didn't like it, while you could have. Also, too much violence. *Spoiler alert ends* But what did/didn't you like?

maxxie03 wrote:

Anyhow, I loved the film. I'm not hating on it, just trying to be critical and giving my opinion. Feel free to comment back and share what you think and if you disagree definitely let me know! I can't wait to read what you guys think, and if you haven't seen it yet, you're in for a treat! [wink] Also with Sanjay's Super Team!

It's all right; I don't mind critical reviews and was interested in what you thought. Thanks for the answers and review! [biggrin]

Also want to say thanks for the reviews to everyone! [wink]
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
andreas the pixar maniac wrote:
wow i dont think i have ever seen a pixar movie get this mixed reviews from both the critics and fans

Brave. And maybe Monsters University. They both got mixed reviews.
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
mac95 wrote:
Quote:

Ooh, can I answer this? [tongue]

I think ReptilePatrol is trying to say that The Good Dinosaur is getting such mixed reviews that it'll really make Pixar look like it's going through that movie slump again. And now that there's a few sequels coming up, everybody might start thinking that Pixar's going through trouble.

Man! The Good Dinosaur was Pixar's time to shine once again, but it pretty much kind of failed (not completely- I say this because I mean that it could've gotten golden reviews but instead got mixed ones). I only hope that it won't keep this up. [frown]
Quote 0 0
andreas the pixar maniac
Peace_Love_Pixar wrote:
andreas the pixar maniac wrote:
wow i dont think i have ever seen a pixar movie get this mixed reviews from both the critics and fans
Brave. And maybe Monsters University. They both got mixed reviews.

yes but even those movies got more positive or more negative reviews and most pepole see those 2 films as ok but not great but with this movie it looks like almost all the pixar fans who has reviewed it either love it or hate it:/ ps i know that here on pixar post most of the reviews are either really positive or just kinda disapointed but most of the reviews i have seen on otter forums are either incredibly positive or incredibly negative
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy