9 3 votes
33%
 9.5 2 votes
22%
 10 - 4 votes
44%
This poll has been closed.
[_V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_] 
Pixar's 19th feature takes us to the land of the dead, and is brought to us by Toy Story 3 director, Lee Unkirch. Promising to deliver more on the laughs, complexities and heartwarming formula, fans of the studio eagerly await this film.  Premiering in Mexico already, I figured it's a good time to start this thread. This is where you will go to talk about your general feelings about the movie and maybe give a quick review. Also rate the movie from a scale of 1 to 10 in the poll above. The movie officially opens in a little over three weeks. 

I have just seen the film, and I will post my review shortly.
Quote 1 0
Luis504170
Okay so I just got out of the theater and these are my thoughts: 

Quickly, as a Mexican-American, I want to say that Lee Unkrich and his team did an incredible job at respectfully displaying our culture. Every inch of this film is bathed with love for Mexico, and I commend the filmmakers. However, I will set this aside and give an objective, non-biased review of the movie as I know a lot of you aren't associated with Mexico, and just want to know if the movie is any good. So yeah, if anybody is wondering if this does justice to our holiday and traditions, absolutely yes. Moving on now. 

I can confidently call this the second amazing Pixar film in the 2010s. Since Toy Story 3, I would say that Inside Out and Coco are the couple that live up to the name of our beloved movie studio. 

Miguel as a protagonist is easy to get behind and extremely likable. From the way he carries himself, to his voice, to the way he displays his passion. Lee Unkrich and his team nail he most essential thing: making the audience want our main character to succeed.

The story is structured very particularly and it felt like I was watching something new from Pixar, given the construction of the narrative. Granted, the Pixar formula is still there, and it is extremely present, but this particular story has complexities that differ from anything else in Pixar's filmography. 

This picture is also unsurprisingly very poignant, Pixar is known for bringing those tears, and this film is no exception. The last 10 minutes I would say are emotionally rich, and they bring together this story beautifully. The animation is fantastic, as one would expect. The music is also great; the main theme "Remember Me" is particularly memorable, and is symbolic to the overall plot. But my favorite song is "The World es mi Familia", it's just so catchy, and it also transcends the most important theme of the movie.

The maturity displayed in this film is astounding. I missed seeing some of the very dramatic story beats that normally inhabit Pixar films. Finding Dory and Cars 3 were just too kid-friendly to really sell maturity. The Good Dinosaur tried, but it just tried too hard that it ended up feeling so forced. Coco, on the other hand, like Inside Out nails this down to a tea. It is essentially about death, remembrance, and the importance of family, and the way the themes are executed in no way feel like the filmmakers are talking down to children. There is one flashback scene in particular that surprised me, even for Pixar. I was not expecting to see something so twisted; and I loved it. 

The only flaw I have with this film, which keeps me from giving it a perfect score, is the way some of the twists and turns were handled. Don't get me wrong, the twists were effective, and an amazing trigger for some of the film's more raw elements. It's just that the way some of those plot twists connected and resolved themselves often times felt a bit convenient and an easy way to advance the plot. Now, these were not nearly as lazily executed as the ones in Finding Dory, but it is something to note. 

Overall, this movie did not disappoint. It is uplifting, heartwarming, poignant, beautiful, complex and a fantastic new entry into Pixar's near-flawless filmography. I would recommend this one to any person; Mexican or not. 

GRADE - 95/100

Side note: For those of you concerned that the trailers may be revealing too much, trust me, they are absolutely not. You still have no idea what you're in for (assuming you haven't read any of the spoilers)
Quote 3 0
Luis504170
And for those of you wondering about Olaf's Frozen Adventure. 

It was cute, but it was way too kiddish. And just like I was expecting, by the 10 minute mark, the entire audience was confused and many frustrated, there was a lot of sighing. But the kids were eating it up like Chipotle so I guess there's that.
Quote 1 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
First off - thank you for your fantastic and objective review! I literally laughed out loud at your comments about Olaf's Frozen Adventure and read them out loud to Julie across the room...she laughed as well!

I'm really glad that you not only looked at it from a cultural respect standpoint but also about the film itself!

So, who was the main (and then sub) character that you connected with the most? Did anyone surprise you?

Thanks again for sharing your review - for others that also want to share their thoughts - be sure to put text at the beginning of your review that says **MY REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS** if you're including things which may spoil the film for others.
Quote 1 0
PixarFan18
People on Twitter have been reacting positively to the movie. Also, today I went to see it again with my best friend, and I swear that I've never seen cry as much as she did today at the cinema, and I've got to admit that I enjoyed watching the film as much as the first time, planning on going a third time with my Abuelita next week!
Quote 2 0
Luis504170
PixarFan18 wrote:
People on Twitter have been reacting positively to the movie. Also, today I went to see it again with my best friend, and I swear that I've never seen cry as much as she did today at the cinema, and I've got to admit that I enjoyed watching the film as much as the first time, planning on going a third time with my Abuelita next week!

A lot of people cried in my theater as well!
Quote 1 0
Luis504170
Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:
First off - thank you for your fantastic and objective review! I literally laughed out loud at your comments about Olaf's Frozen Adventure and read them out loud to Julie across the room...she laughed as well!

I'm really glad that you not only looked at it from a cultural respect standpoint but also about the film itself!

So, who was the main (and then sub) character that you connected with the most? Did anyone surprise you?

Thanks again for sharing your review - for others that also want to share their thoughts - be sure to put text at the beginning of your review that says **MY REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS** if you're including things which may spoil the film for others.

Lol I'm glad the frustration in Olaf's Frozen Adventure made you laugh. But for real, my popcorn bucket was empty before the freaking lamp even started hopping. 

The main character I liked the most was easily Miguel, the writing around his character was very well realized; I can easily fit him nicely among some of Pixar's strongest protagonists. Hector was fantastic as well, another great duo from Pixar. Dante was an adorable, yet unusual sidekick. I know some were concerned if this dog was there merely to sell the Disney formula of having an adorable animal be the sidekick, and let me tell you, Dante did not in any way retract from any parts of the movie, his screen time wasn't even that much. I love Mama Coco, her character just has a fascinating arc, they really nailed the wonder and soul that very old people have; she was also super adorable. Every character as much in the human world as the Day of the Dead were fascinating. If anything, Miguel's mom and dad didn't really add much, they were just there; but I'm guessing that was the intention given that the complex story begins with Abuelita. There was one character who surprised me, I'm pretty sure you know who I'm talking about given that I assume you already know the spoilers. I will also say that the arc between Mama Coco, Mama Imelda, and Miguel's great-grandfather was FANTASTIC. 
Quote 0 0
heartdisney10
@Luis504170 I couldn't agree more with you. Fantastic review. I could honestly say, you took the words right out of my mouth.
In regards to Frozen, I really liked it. It is more kiddish than Coco, but I appreciate how we now see and understand the bond between Anna & Elsa. It also ties in beautifully with Coco in that both are about the importance of family.
In my theater kids were an average of 5 and older and handled both movies very well.
Quote 2 0
Gato Brujo
So i just watched Coco for the second time...and i still love it and i still cry evrytiem :'(

As a mexican, i was kinda skeptic at first, specially after the copyright scandal from a few years ago, but i dediced to give it a chance after all, and im not disappointed at all. And by what i've been, mexican media and reviewers enjoyed it as well [smile]

The animation is obviouslly gorgeous, since its Pixar we are talking about, and you can clearly see they did their research about our culture and traditions, they were very respectful and faithful to it: the architecture, the shrines, the little info they threw here and there about day of the dead so people from other countries will know more about it and appreciate what we do for our ancestors, which is actually awesome since some demographic wont have a reason to complaing about "cultural appropiation" or "racism".

My favorite part was the music, which includes the original songs ("Remember me" sung by Miguel will make you guys cry) and some iconic mexican songs like Llorona. -I  highly recomend the OST.

What i didnt like much was the plot, since it was quite simple and follows the Pixar formula once more, but if you dont care much about that, you'll enjoy it for sure, just dont expect a huge plot twist (at least one that isnt very predictable as the movie goes on), and i assure you, the ending will make you cry...a lot, so beware!

Pixar had a huge responsability with mexican culture and they succeded, in my humble opinion! Its a beautiful movie and was made with so much love and respect, i cannot stop recommending it.
Quote 2 0
Luis504170
Awesome review Gato Brujo! Thank you for taking your time to post here on the thread!
Quote 0 0
PixarFan18
I’m curious, where would you rank Coco in comparison to the rest of the Pixar movies? I still haven’t been able to determine that, therefore I would like to hear the opinion of others [smile]
Quote 0 0
Luis504170
PixarFan18 wrote:
I’m curious, where would you rank Coco in comparison to the rest of the Pixar movies? I still haven’t been able to determine that, therefore I would like to hear the opinion of others [smile]

Top 7 for sure. This one is definitely first tier Pixar. 

My rankings look like this right now.

1. The Incredibles 
2. Inside Out 
3. Wall-E
4. Toy Story 3 
5. Finding Nemo 
6. Ratatouille 
7. Coco 
8. Up 
9. Toy Story 2
10. Toy Story 
11. Monsters Inc 
12. Cars 
13. Brave
14. Finding Dory 
15. Monsters University 
16. Cars 3
17. A Bug's Life 
18. The Good Dinosaur 
19. Cars 2

I think Coco could easily take Ratatouille's spot, I would just have to re-watch again. 
Quote 0 0
Gonzalo Ibarra Murrieta
Went to see it because my family really wanted to watch it-and man was I surprised! Wonderful characters, great plot, awesome animation and Pixar nailed it with their portrayal of the "Day of the Dead" festivities/meaning in Mexican culture. Storytelling at its finest, it's nice to see that Pixar can still produce a gem like coco.
Quote 1 0
Luis504170
Gonzalo Ibarra Murrieta wrote:
Went to see it because my family really wanted to watch it-and man was I surprised! Wonderful characters, great plot, awesome animation and Pixar nailed it with their portrayal of the "Day of the Dead" festivities/meaning in Mexican culture. Storytelling at its finest, it's nice to see that Pixar can still produce a gem like coco.

Thank you for sharing. I find it awesome that you found Coco good enough to register and post your opinion!! 
Quote 0 0
Luis504170
By the way guys, the first screenings of Coco start in a day and a half this Tuesday, November 21st. If you see this film remember to come back and share your thoughts! Thank you!
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy