Pixar Post - T.J.
finding-dory-concept-art-3.jpg 
Hello all - there is a spoiler-free review thread if you want to read or write a high-level review of the film...but if you're seen the movie and want to talk freely about your favorite moments or characters this is the topic for you.

So, what did you think of the film? What was your favorite new character? Was there a particular moment that stood out? What did you think of the score?
Quote 1 0
Sally
Gosh, where to begin:

1. It was such a beautiful film, of course i have to see it again to see if it's in my top 10, but it was so emotional and at the same time had funny moments

2. Before the film began, I had no idea who to like, I wanted it to be Destiny, she was cute, but no, Bailey, but still no, and sadly, having seen the movie in Spanish, I couldn't even translate everything, but after re-seeing the movie in my mind, I finally found my new favorite characters

Dory's parents, Charlie and Jenny, I mean, they're so important to the story, and not even realizing how CUTE Jenny is, they also remind me of Henry and Ida from The Good Dinosaur, but here instead these fish parents have more screen time

I also like Destiny and Bailey a little bit, she's a cute whale, while Bailey is just... just fine

3. Having seen this in Spanish, I can't really translate these well so let me know if I'm right or wrong:

- Dory thinking her parents had 'died', just... I really didn't needed this a year after Joy made me cry

- And then reunited with them, that was a beautiful moment

- The whole car scene was the most fun I had in a Pixar movie, it was so funny and hilarious that I thought no one was going to stop them, and the conclusion of that scene to the tune of 'What a Wonderful World', I still laughing as I'm writing this

- The short return of (surprise) The Tank Gang, I'm just so surprised that they survived a ENTIRE year in those bags

4. As I write this, I'm going out to buy it today, because when the last time I heard from Thomas Newman's beautiful melodies?

The score was amazing, like if it was the same time, it would be perfect, I have seen many movies with his score (American Beauty, Revolutionary Road, etc.) but I have never seen a score so unique like this

Also ending this with a question: Will Finding Dory be capable to beat Moana and/or Zootopia at next year's Oscars? Because it can happen

Quote 3 0
Zoey_Trope
It's been three long years since the announcement, but now, it's finally time.

It was everything I'd ever dreamed it would be. SO well worth the wait.

I like how it followed the same path as Inside Out in terms of the fact that there was no real "traditional villain." A lot of people thought that Hank was going to be the bad guy, but I had a feeling he'd end up being good, and I was right. Heck, the only "bad guy" this film really has is the giant squid, and even then that's a bit of a stretch; one could compare the creature to IO's Jangles.

The real antagonist of the film? Dory herself. And that was my favorite element of the story, the fact that one must learn to overcome and live with one's own shortcomings. Self-acceptance is an important thing to showcase in today's day and age, and I'm glad Dory is the character to do it.

Also, can we talk about how freaking adorable baby Dory was? Every single one of those flashbacks melted my heart. And speaking of flashbacks, I'm so glad that story structure found its way into Dory after being cut from the original Nemo. Just goes to show you that nothing at Pixar is ever truly thrown away!

@Sally, ditto on Dory's parents, they were also my favorite new characters. Dory should consider herself lucky, she's a Disney character with both parents alive AND both parents thoroughly supporting her! How rare is that? (I just realized whilst typing this that Judy from Zootopia is in this same situation, but you get the point)

I'll hopefully be seeing the film again in IMAX sometime this weekend, so I'll be ready with some more thoughts after my second viewing.
Quote 2 0
Sebastian Barnes
My favorite moment was when the truck was falling into the water in slow motion with the song "What a wonderfull world" with the voice of sigourney weaver
Quote 1 0
Tazbanian Devill
I LOVED THE MOVIE. I loved the mix of sadder more emotional scenes with fast paced action packed scenes. In my opinion this movie is better than Inside Out and Pixar's best film since Wall-e. Andrew Stanton proves yet again that is he is the master of animation. The flashbacks when Dory saw her past were amazing and really added a new depth to the film. 

I LOVED HANK. Hank is fantastic and one of my favorite Movie characters of the year. Dory really brings out the better side of Hank throughout the film and he learns that he is capable of greatness. 

I Loved meeting Dory's parents and the scenes towards the end where Dory is so close to finding her parents yet she feels hopeless made me sadder than that Bing Bong scene in Inside Out. 

Overall this movie was great, I loved all of the new characters, I loved the score by Thomas Newman, and the 3D was pretty good too. 

I didn't know there was an after credits scene since Pixar movies have never had them, so Ill have to wait for it to leak onto Youtube. 

9.5/10 (Also Piper gets a 10/10 and is my new favorite Pixar Short, IT WAS ADORABLE and Gorgeously animated) 
Quote 1 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
This movie was absolutely spectacular. I'll admit it, I was afraid that the film would fall short, which makes its triumph all the more victorious. There are so many ways this film could have gotten twisted up in its own plot, but it didn't, everyone understood the story, which is a success in and of itself. The characters were lots of fin (heh heh, just kidding, I mean fun [wink]), the story was beautiful (I cried during the reunion scene and I almost cried for some reason when I saw baby Dory at the beginning, which is really interesting, cause the last time I cried in a movie was in 2010 watching TS3. I almost cried in Inside Out, my eyes were welling with tears, but I stopped myself [tongue]) and carried lots of emotional moments and laughter (The scene with the truck was hysterical!! XD), the score was so elegant and powerful, and the animation was amazing. These are just a few of the reasons I'm giving this feature a perfect 10/10.

Additionally, I can't say I have a favorite character, all of them are so great! Bailey was hilarious, Destiny was adorable and so nice, Charlie and Jenny are so loving and dedicated, I mean, the way they held on to the hope of finding their daughter even though the odds were overwhelmingly against them brought tears to my eyes, Hank was AWESOME, Marlin and Nemo were great too, along with Fluke and Rudder and Becky... I could go on and on.

Also, in case you're wondering, I'm giving Piper a... Mmm.... I think I'm giving it a 10/10 as well. I loved the story, and the way they worked the message of facing your fears without any dialogue at all is truly impressive! I love the score too, along with the characters (I loved the hermit crab, Piper's mother, and Piper) and (as previously stated) the plot, which is why I give it a 10/10 too. [smile]
Quote 1 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Zoey_Trope wrote:
It's been three long years since the announcement, but now, it's finally time. It was everything I'd ever dreamed it would be. SO well worth the wait.

I agree. [smile]

Zoey_Trope wrote:
I like how it followed the same path as Inside Out in terms of the fact that there was no real "traditional villain." A lot of people thought that Hank was going to be the bad guy, but I had a feeling he'd end up being good, and I was right. Heck, the only "bad guy" this film really has is the giant squid, and even then that's a bit of a stretch; one could compare the creature to IO's Jangles.

I'm glad too. [smile] I'm so happy that Hank didn't turn out to be a villain, since the movie was perfect without a traditional antagonist.

Zoey_Trope wrote:
@Sally, ditto on Dory's parents, they were also my favorite new characters. Dory should consider herself lucky, she's a Disney character with both parents alive AND both parents thoroughly supporting her! How rare is that? (I just realized whilst typing this that Judy from Zootopia is in this same situation, but you get the point)

Heh heh, true!

Sally wrote:
Also ending this with a question: Will Finding Dory be capable to beat Moana and/or Zootopia at next year's Oscars? Because it can happen

Perhaps, I do think it is very well possible! Also, I'm thinking that all those films will be nominated- of course, I could be wrong, but it does seem very likely. [wink]
Quote 0 0
Zoey_Trope
I was thinking over the film again last night when I realized something that blew my mind.

Why was Dory able to remember the address from the original Finding Nemo so easily? Well, if you take a look at the components, then you'll see that...

P. Sherman = Purple Shell

42 Wallaby Way = Jewel of Morro Bay

Sydney = Destiny

The reason she could recall it in the first film is because, on a subconscious level, she connected it to things from her past! I highly doubt that this was an intentional move by the filmmakers, but still, it's a pretty neat detail!

Quote 3 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Woah, that's really interesting Zoey_Trope! [biggrin]
Quote 0 0
mac95
I loved this movie! It was perfectly designed on every level, with a fast story, and fun characters.

They did a very good job putting Dory into the main role, it doesn't feel annoying or repetitive(like how some people feel about Mater in Cars 2). I love how they managed to still have fun with Dory's short term memory loss, but they made it a more serious disability that she had to cope with as well. Huge props to how they did Dory in the film, as well as to Ellen DeGeneres. As a pretty famous person, it is amazing to see her embody the character so well that she just gets lost and you don't even notice it's her.

I loved Hank, like I knew I would. I appreciate that we didn't need to see his past. He just alluded to that he had a rough life before the Institute, and that was all we needed to know to understand his motives. One minor detail that is more of something I noticed than a complaint, is that you sometimes did and didn't see his mouth. It was always alarming when I saw his mouth.

I loved Bailey as well, so perfectly voiced by Ty Burrell. He was hilarious, he had a lot of funny lines.
"It's your destiny, Destiny."
Everything he said about "the fuzz" was hilarious.
I also loved how his head would vibrate slightly when he was using his echolocation. It's little details like that that make me love the movie even more. Pixar has always had attention to detail, but with The Good Dinosaur and now Finding Dory, they are on a high with their rich world building.

I loved Gerald. That's all I can really say, I think he speaks for himself why.

The story was so great. There was never a dull moment, something exciting or funny was always happening. The second the film opened, it was a nonstop ride.
Reasoning for why the story was so fast could be attributed to the dialogue. It was witty, fast, informative but not expositional, and captivating.
Dory's search for her parents never got dull, I was always locked in and caring thanks to how they kept the parents relevant through the flashback sequences.
When I saw the wide shot of Dory finally seeing all the rows of shells leading to her parent's home, I knew and felt everything without a single word. I feel like some of that trust in the audience was briefly lost when Charlie and Jenny explained what they did. Nonetheless a powerful scene, though.
I loved baby Dory's simple determination when she said, "Mommy loves purple shells." That tied in well with the theme that she just acted out of instinct.

Now, I'll get the big question out of the way: I didn't cry. But that is OK. The movie didn't need to make me cry, it didn't need to be a Pixar masterpiece remembered with WALL-E, Up, and Finding Nemo. It's goal was to make me care about Dory, and make me happy when she was reunited with her family. I had a huge smile on my face the entire movie, and that is as much a success to me as it is when I cry at the beginning of Up.

When I think of Toy Story, I think of Buzz and Woody Flying. When I think of Monsters, Inc., I think of the chase through the door vault. When I look back on this movie ten years from now, I think I'll think of the truck driving off the cliff.
That scene not only was hysterical, it was a massive and visual way to show how Hank had grown and come to trust his new friend Dory.
It was also the culmination of the story, combining all of the characters and integrating them in cool ways. It also was the end of a suspenseful scene that just kept building and building and building until we finally get a climatic conclusion, but it also happens to be a moment of comic relief. Those two elements mixed together with the excellent song choice of What a Wonderful World combined to make a finale that had me dying of laughter along with everyone else in the theatre.
I'm also a sucker for physics-based action and comedy(like Rube Goldberg inventions) so I especially loved it and felt connected to it.

Baby Dory was adorable. I loved this movie! 
Quote 1 0
ThePolishGent
I just got done seeing Finding Dory and of course I really love it!!!

I think we can can all agree that the scenery and environments in the movie were breathtaking beautiful! Heck, I think it's on par with The Good Dinosaur which I've always consider that movie to have the most gorgeous scenery and visuals of any animated film! Anyways, it's time to talk about the story and characters.

To start off first, when I first saw toddler Dory, (which by the way, great move Pixar for making this the very first shot of the movie and by making the whole audience exclaiming aww [wink]), I'd quickly thought of baby Arlo. Heck, I bet you that the Pixar team were inspire by The Good Dinosaur that they wanted to give toddler Dory give that same soft innocent at heart look that baby Arlo had.

[maxresdefault] 
Plus, whoever did the voice of little Dory did a wonderful job of capturing the personally and traits of a toddler and it really fit perfectly with little Dory's innocent look! That's what I call great casting!

I really love that fish couple! Hearing Bill Hader's voice of Stan reminded me of Fear from Inside Out! It really did sounded like they incorporated some of Fear's mannerisms to Stan!

One particular scene I really love was the singing migrating stingrays. The singing voices of the stingrays were so beautiful and expressive it literally made the auditorium seats vibrate! And now that I think about it, I wonder if an actual men's choir group was cast to voice the singing stingrays? 

I really love both the characters Destiny and Bailey! That expression Destiny gave to Bailey when she was explaining to Dory that Bailey's still healing from his accident is one of the funniest expressions I've ever seen! Also, even though Dory got her whale speaking abilities from her childhood friend Destiny, it didn't explain of where exactly Destiny learned to speak whale since this was before Bailey arrive at the aquarium. But I guaranteed that she got the whale language from some other actual whale and of course pass it down onto Dory.

The one thing I've notice about Finding Dory is that it's main focus other than family is about overcoming your obstacles and fears. Just like how Inside Out change the way we see our thoughts and actions, Finding Dory has change the way we see disabilities. Not just with Dory's mental problem, but with Hank's anxiety & losing a tentacle, Destiny's vision, and Bailey's problems with his echolocation. But really it goes to show that anyone can still overcome their obstacles no matter what with a special someone like Dory who can give anyone some guidance that's struggling in life.
Plus, that alone has a connection with the Marine Life Institute's motto of "Rescue, Rehabilitation and Release". Who would've knew that a motto like that would have so much meaning to overcoming your fears and obstacles.

I'd especially love Hank the Octopus!!! Even though he was cranky, he was hands down the funnest character in the whole movie and my favorite as well!! He also really had some great creative camouflages going on and it was nice to see him at the credits as well! I really love the part where Hank was covering himself up in the tide pool for protection from the children's hands. That part alone really made me really aww for him. It really showed how scare poor Hank was. In fact, any scene with Hank were my favorite parts of the movie including the choir of stingrays! One other funny and cute part was seeing him under the stroller munching on some fish crackers while talking to Dory. I really love Hank so much that I really would love to know more of his backstory and how exactly he lost his tentacle. I would even watch a series of shorts or a dedicated 30 min TV special of him going through different life situations. He really was the most fun to watch!!

Also, speaking of Hank being reluctant to going back to the ocean due to his bad experience from losing a tentacle, he's a great example of a character avoiding of whats's bothering him of trying to overcome his fears. Sometimes, one may face a bad experience which may lead to social isolation and ongoing worries and it takes someone like Dory to convince them to overcome of what's bothering them. And just like The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory is also a movie that teaches anyone can overcome their fears by believing in oneself.

I could go on and talk about the family aspect of it but I'll leave that part to everyone else since that's what a lot of people are talking about.

Overall, I really love the movie! Funny & heart touching. 

I give this a 9 out of 10 tentacles and a "seal" of approval!! [thumb] 

[FindingDory_zps171tzuns]

Quote 0 0
ThePolishGent
Zoey_Trope wrote:
I was thinking over the film again last night when I realized something that blew my mind.

Why was Dory able to remember the address from the original Finding Nemo so easily? Well, if you take a look at the components, then you'll see that...

P. Sherman = Purple Shell

42 Wallaby Way = Jewel of Morro Bay

Sydney = Destiny

Whoa!! That's a very cool theory! 

Plus, you were really spot on your predictions!! 

Quote 0 0
Just Keep Swimming
All the characters where absolutely wonderful! Our returning cast had amazing growth throughout this film, especially Dory. The writers did a fantastic job making sure she was still the Dory we all knew and loved, while also retaining the dynamic role of the films main character.

As far as the story goes, I felt that the first 20 minutes went by way too fast. I felt they could've slowed down the pacing before Dory realizes her family is out there somewhere. The clip from the D23 expo last year where Dory is sleep swimming would have helped slow down the pacing, but that wasn't in the final cut.

Also, there could've been a montage during the sequence when they rode on the ocean current with Crush and squirt. The way it was, kinda made it seem like the trio had just gotten on and then POOF, They were suddenly off the California coast.

The pacing does get better once they're at the MLI, but there were scattered parts that I felt could have benefited from taking a moment to let the audience breath for a bit.

Hank is my absolute favorite of the new characters. He's a total grouch first, but he becomes such a lovable grouch by the end of the film. I still can't get over all the animation done on this septopus! One of the films animators, Eric Oh, actually came to my school last semester to talk about his job at Pixar. I asked him what was the hardest project he'd work on, and he admitted that it was Hank, because of how difficult it was to animate him. So hats off to the Hank crew for doing an amazing job!

All and all, I really did enjoyed this film. It was definitely worth waiting for, and I can't wait to see it again!
Quote 1 0
Vellerie
I loved the film, but the only criticism I have is how rushed it seemed. Like Pixar was in a hurry to get all their ideas down within a certain time frame. I think they could have made it longer and it would have been okay. It didn't have The Good Dinosaur's "episodic" problem, though, which is good.

I do like that there is always something going on in the movie, and there are a lot of fresh sights and quirky new characters. Hank was the best, to me, the way he blushed at Dory when she said she would remember him, and the whole 3 hearts thing was just precious. He was irritated by how her memory problem affected his plans without being cruel and discriminatory about it, which was nice.

The way they used Destiny and Bailey for the plot was great, and how the pipes were the reason Dory thought speaking in an elongated way was speaking whale was funny. The echolocation thing was cool, and that whole climax scene with the truck was extreeeeemely weird....and funny....,Definitely a shared memory that would cement Hank and Dory's friendship, "Remember that time we drove a truck into the ocean...."

Hank being the grumpy sub was hilarious, considering the stereotype that substitute teachers are extremely lax.

I didn't like that the Tank Gang were still in their bags a year later. Those poor fish! How the heck did they survive? And all of what they did to escape in Finding Nemo, only to be taken captive again? I don't really like it.
Quote 1 0
Vellerie
Oh, and I forgot to say, the music was incredible! Including the Unforgettable remake at the end. Talk about perfect.
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy