Yet again, we're left scratching our heads as Monsters University
was excluded from the list of nominees in this year's Academy Awards nominations for the Best Animated Feature Film category. The nominated films are: The Croods, Despicable Me 2, Ernest & Celestine, Frozen
and The Wind Rises.
Here's an excerpt from our detailed post (read for additional details).
I'll be honest, when I was watching the nominations my heart rate noticeable. I assumed once they announced Ernest & Celestine, that Monsters University would of course also receive a nomination, right? Right? The Academy Awards first started the category of Best Animated Feature Film back in 2001 and in the twelve years since the categories inception, Pixar has only been snubbed one additional time - in 2011 for Cars 2. Here is a summary of Pixar's history with the Academy Awards.
Jeff, over at This Day In Pixar, also wrote up a great post about some of the lesser-known awards and how Monsters University only won one (yes, one) award through the 31 potential categories. This is nothing short of a shocking year for Pixar news.
- 2001 - Monsters, Inc. was nominated - Shrek won.
- 2002 - Spirited Away won - Pixar did not have a feature film released in this year.
- 2003 - Finding Nemo won.
- 2004 - The Incredibles won.
- 2005 - Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Wear Rabbit won - Pixar did not have a feature film released in this year.
- 2006 - Cars was nominated - Happy Feet won.
- 2007 - Ratatouille won.
- 2008 - Wall-E won.
- 2009 - Up won.
- 2010 - Toy Story 3 won.
- 2011 - Cars 2 was snubbed and was not nominated. Rango won.
- 2012 - Brave won.
- 2013 - Monsters University snubbed.
What are your thoughts? Did you expect this following Pixar's snub at the Golden Globes? We're you shocked with Monsters U not being included?