Pixar Post - T.J.
Well, it's official, the initial batch of movie reviews for Onward are now available. I'll just go out of my way and say that this thread may contain spoilers, so if you're trying to avoid them, you may want to wait until you see the film. That being said, our initial review is spoiler-free and you can read it on our site.
[Onward-Movie-Review-Image]
High-level thoughts
  • I enjoyed the movie a lot. It's not like I expected that I wouldn't like it, but it was really, really great and surprised me a lot.
  • There are a lot of emotions and the story does a really good job of slowly (and without being direct about it) building on how much Ian wants to meet his dad. 
  • Any scene with the Sprites is hilarious - they're such a great group of characters.
  • The journey the brothers go on is great and allows them to grow along the way.
  • The climax of the movie is packed with emotions - it's great!
  • Chris Pratt does a great job voicing Barley, but Tom Holland's performance is amazing (award-worthy in my opinion).
  • I typically like movies that have really big casts, but even though this doesn't, I don't find it lacking or feeling empty to me.
  • From a critique standpoint, I think the background character designs weren't as complex or nuanced as many other Pixar films. That's not to say they're not good, but specifically the cyclops background characters felt non-completed and not "Pixar" if you know what I mean. The trolls, satyrs, and centaurs were great. I especially loved the troll designs.
  • I loved that the world was packed with little hidden moments and funny plays on things we're familiar with today...like, a haircut place being called "Sir Snips-a-Lot!"! Ha!
Potential spoiler comment below.
  • Of course, Ian and Barley use magic along the way and the only thing that may be a bit convenient is how quickly Ian picks up magic. It doesn't detract from the film, but when thinking about it, this seems like an area some people may scratch their head on a bit. 
Quote 0 0
Thepixarfanofthefamily05
Reviews started coming in about 15 minutes ago. I haven’t read any yet, but RT has it at a 74. I really hope it gets higher. I was expecting maybe in the 80-90%. But there a couple more weeks. I am trying to get tickets for a February 29 showing, which would be super exciting.
Quote 1 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
This review from Slashfilm is a bit opposite of mine - they note that the whole thing feels typical and while I agree that many of the ideas have been seen before, it still paid off with emotions and laughs for me. Were the laughs over the top — no, but I still feel like although it was typical, I walked away enjoying the journey and growth of the characters.
Quote 0 0
Thepixarfanofthefamily05

TJ and Julie: I am curious when and where you guys got to see a screening of the movie, and if you think a sequel is possible? I know that we probably have another 5 years of originals: which I love, but if a sequel is possible if it does well?

One more question: where does it rank among the other films?

Quote 0 0
Thepixarfanofthefamily05

A Hollywood Reporter review says that it doesn’t seem like a classic because of too many jokes. Something I was a bit worried about. 

I couldn’t post the link for some reason. But it is on the internet 

Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
I kind like Eric Kohn's summary from IndieWire - he says, "Onward doesn't reinvent the wheel, but spins it so well that it conjures a spell of its own as a new decade dawns with the Pixar touch intact." He gave it a B rating.

I kind of feel like if no one knew this was a Pixar movie, it would be rated higher. Almost every review talks about how this isn't Pixar's best...which is kind of hard to say because it's comparing it against titans. This feels like why authors sometimes release books under pseudonyms so people don't judge their work inside a box. I'd be willing to take a guess that people would say, "this is like a Pixar movie" if they thought it wasn't made by them.

In any regard, we'll do a video review coming up as well to highlight more details. We have 2 more screenings that we're going to watch before we do that video to really let it sink in and talk about it with each other first.

Quote:
Where did you guys get to see a screening of the movie

It was a local press screening sponsored by Disney.

Quote:
Do you think a sequel is possible?

As far as a sequel - I don't think it would make any sense, so i would predict we won't see one.

Quote:
Where does it rank among the other films?

Hmmm - I'm not fully sure yet, I'm going to watch it a few more times before I officially say, but I'd estimate it would be somewhere in the middle...which is hard to even say since the middle is still great. If you look at it, the middle is bumping up against some other top-tier films.
Quote 1 0
Andrea56
It seems to be, from the few reviews I've seen and read so far, that people either seem to really enjoy it or think it's simply okay.

I'm just really, really trying to stay away from any potential spoilers right now, because I genuinely want to be surprised!

I'm wondering though...with as many mega-hits as Pixar has, do you think it's becoming harder and harder in some aspects to top themselves as far as reception is concerned? Or does it really matter? 🤔
Quote 2 0
Thepixarfanofthefamily05
I kind like Eric Kohn's summary from IndieWire - he says, "Onward doesn't reinvent the wheel, but spins it so well that it conjures a spell of its own as a new decade dawns with the Pixar touch intact." He gave it a B rating.

I kind of feel like if no one knew this was a Pixar movie, it would be rated higher. Almost every review talks about how this isn't Pixar's best...which is kind of hard to say because it's comparing it against titans. This feels like why authors sometimes release books under pseudonyms so people don't judge their work inside a box. I'd be willing to take a guess that people would say, "this is like a Pixar movie" if they thought it wasn't made by them.

In any regard, we'll do a video review coming up as well to highlight more details. We have 2 more screenings that we're going to watch before we do that video to really let it sink in and talk about it with each other first.

It was a local press screening sponsored by Disney.

As far as a sequel - I don't think it would make any sense, so i would predict we won't see one.

Hmmm - I'm not fully sure yet, I'm going to watch it a few more times before I officially say, but I'd estimate it would be somewhere in the middle...which is hard to even say since the middle is still great. If you look at it, the middle is bumping up against some other top-tier films.

Great to hear your thoughts TJ. I am trying to get tickets for a screening next Saturday 
Quote 1 0
Thepixarfanofthefamily05
Andrea56 wrote:
It seems to be, from the few reviews I've seen and read so far, that people either seem to really enjoy it or think it's simply okay.

I'm just really, really trying to stay away from any potential spoilers right now, because I genuinely want to be surprised!

I'm wondering though...with as many mega-hits as Pixar has, do you think it's becoming harder and harder in some aspects to top themselves as far as reception is concerned? Or does it really matter? 🤔

This is also what I have heard. It is either great or just alright. I think people think that they tried to hard to make it sad or put too many jokes in, and that takes it away from the actual story.

I do think people probably had very high standards coming in, because it is an original at Pixar, that maybe they were underwhelmed.

Andrea56- You won’t be getting spoilers for me!!
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Andrea56 wrote:
I'm wondering though...with as many mega-hits as Pixar has, do you think it's becoming harder and harder in some aspects to top themselves as far as reception is concerned? Or does it really matter?

100%, I absolutely think it is hard for any future Pixar film to overcome the shadows of 1995-2010. Although each film should be rated against itself, it's also unrealistic to assume people wouldn't be comparing them to each other. I also think it does matter to a lot of people because it's natural to look back to compare for the future...but, it's technically a flawed view in some aspects since the same group of people aren't making each of the films.
Quote 1 0
Thepixarfanofthefamily05
Is anyone doing the 7 movie marathon before a screening of Onward? I’m not, because it would be too long for me, even though it would be fun!!
Quote 0 0
PixarsBiggestFan
Is anyone doing the 7 movie marathon before a screening of Onward? I’m not, because it would be too long for me, even though it would be fun!!

I’m doing the one in NYC. I’m really looking forward to it. I was pleasantly surprised tickets were only $11.99 ($13.88 including the online convenience fee), however unless you want really bad seats, everything’s sold for that location last time I checked. It’ll be an even longer day for me because I live in the Long Island suburbs so I have an ~1 hour commute going in and at least that going home depending on the train schedule, and food will make it quite expensive because I’ll probably be eating overpriced theater food for lunch and dinner (and possibly a snack).

For the AMC locations, it starts at 9 am and ends at ~11:30 pm. Does anyone know how frequently there will be intermissions (assuming there’s at least 1) and how long they will be?
Quote 1 0
Thepixarfanofthefamily05

I’m doing the one in NYC. I’m really looking forward to it. I was pleasantly surprised tickets were only $11.99 ($13.88 including the online convenience fee), however unless you want really bad seats, everything’s sold for that location last time I checked. It’ll be an even longer day for me because I live in the Long Island suburbs so I have an ~1 hour commute going in and at least that going home depending on the train schedule, and food will make it quite expensive because I’ll probably be eating overpriced theater food for lunch and dinner (and possibly a snack).

For the AMC locations, it starts at 9 am and ends at ~11:30 pm. Does anyone know how frequently there will be intermissions (assuming there’s at least 1) and how long they will be?

Which movies are in the screening?

Also, the Onward RT score is now up 86%. Getting better every day. I project anywhere from 84-89%
Quote 0 0
PixarsBiggestFan

Which movies are in the screening?

Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, WALL•E, Up, and Onward.
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Gosh, I so wish I could go to the all-day marathon but there aren't any screenings near me. I did the Toy Story marathon, but to be able to see Ratatouille and WALL-E again on the big screen would be amazing. I've seen Toy Story a bunch of times and Monsters Inc was re-released in 3D not too long ago and they put Finding Nemo back in theaters in 2012 (with Partysaurus Rex in front).

As far as intermissions, I'm not sure how long they'll be, but I can tell you that for the Toy Story marathon, it was like 10 minutes before they would fire up the next movie. I'd recommend leaving during the credits (which I never like to do), so you have time to walk around, order some food (since, like you said, you'll be eating meals there) and then hit the restroom. The intermission between Incredibles 1 and 2 when they did that double-feature was 20 minutes which surprised me. Either way, it goes fast and that is going to be a huge endurance test - so cool!
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy