Dan the Pixar Fan
As you may know, I'm a HUGE Toy Story fan. I love all of them and the stories really mean a lot to me. That being said though, I can't help but notice some striking similarities between the 2nd and third : )

Both have a themed opening relating to the two main characters Buzz and Woody (space and western).

Woody, in the beginning of both films, attempts to save a toy(s) from Andy's front yard (Wheezy and the toys in the garbage bag).

Both films have an old character who first appears nice and welcoming but turns out to be a sinister villain because of past traumatizing experiences as a toy (Stinky Pete and Lotso).

Both films have a Buzz back to his deluded space ranger self (Utility Belt Buzz and Demo Mode Buzz)

Woody, in both films, gets stolen and brought to a place where he meets new friends and learns valuable information (Woody in Al's office and Woody in Bonnie's Room)

Both films have a flashback scene of a traumatic event in a toy's life (Jessie and Lotso)

Both films have a villain who gets what they deserve (by getting an unlikely new owner who puts them in an uncomfortable settings with other toys-Stinky Pete in a backpack with a Barbie and Lotso tied to the front of a truck with other critters).

The toys in both films are trying to get home to Andy and make it just in time (Andy coming home from Cowboy and Andy about to leave for college).

Both films' climax take place in a large scale, exiting environment (Airport and Ti-County Dump).

All 3 films include moments when the toys of Andy's room doubt Woody about whether he's telling the truth.

Can you think of any more?? : )

Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Holy cow - first off, this is amazing! I can't believe I never took the time to sit down and think of all the similarities. I have though of the fact that at some point the toys doubt Woody...and a few others...but I've never thought of all of them together like this.

I'm going to have to take some time to see if I can come up with any more similarities, but this is a great start and really is fascinating! Great job and thanks for the post!

How's about anyone else - your thoughts?
Quote 0 0
Dan the Pixar Fan
Thanks TJ! Yah I'm curious if anyone can think of more or have any deeper insights...I hope people get involved with this thread! : )
Quote 0 0
mac95
Great list! Although, I tend to think that the villain usually gets what they deserve. [smile]
When Pixar was making the trilogy, they used a lot of material from "A Tin Toy Christmas" a Christmas TV special that was never made. So I can understand that this is a good size list!

Both have a climax where the toys try to save Woody. Once where Buzz and Bullseye save Woody and Jessie on the plane, and the other when Woody is pulled into the dumpster by Lotso.
Quote 0 0
Rachel Cranor
I love when a series has back up things

I also love that not including the Disney and Pixar Logos, or the Epilogue and Credits, The first and last thing we see are almost identical.

I also notice that the famous Pizza Planet Truck plays a somewhat crucial role in all three:
1. Ride to Pizza Planet to find Andy/Sid
2. Ride to the Airport to save Woody and Jessie
3. How Lotso, Big Baby and Chuckles get to Sunnyside.
Most other Pixar movies, it is just a cameo, but in these, it is actually part of the story.

I also just LOVE how similar the back stories of Lotso, Jessie and the Prospector are (Syndrome too):
All three (plus Syndrome) were pushed aside by someone they look up to. And they all become bitter at some point. Only Jessie turns around though.
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Hello everyone,

Since this topic was so fantastic, we decided to invite Dan (the forum user that started this topic) onto episode 24 of the Pixar Post Podcast to discuss this post and add in our one additional story observation as well.

Also, thanks for Rachel for her great mention of the Pizza Planet Truck as well - Dan and I also discussed this on the podcast.

The story element and comparison we found was...

In both movies, all of the toys want to stay safe in Andy's room...but once they find themselves in a new environment, someone doesn't want to go back to Andy's room again.
  • in Toy Story 2 once Woody is convinced that he should go to the toy museum in Japan with the other members of the roundup gang (Jessie, Bullseye and Stinky Pete), he no longer wants to go back to Andy's room.
  • In Toy Story 3 once the gang gets to Sunnyside Daycare, no one except Woody wants to go back to Andy's room (even though Woody urges them to come back with him).
It was almost like Woody learned in Toy Story 2 that being safe in Andy's room was the best course of action so he tries to convince the gang to come back with him in Toy Story 3...but it seems the gang will have to learn this lesson on their own.  

During the call, Dan also pointed out that in both instances I mentioned above, the toys are fine in their new environment until the bad guy (Stinky Pete in TS2 and Lotso in TS3) turn bad. It's like the gang all the sudden realizes that they have to get the heck out of there!

Any other great comparisons we can add to the list?

Feel free to listen to the Podcast episode for inspiration (we start chatting with Dan at 18 minutes into the show)

Quote 0 0
ThisDayInPixar
Great podcast episode guys! I'm really enjoying listening to it, and I love this topic. It's made me want to go back and watch both films. It also makes me think about other films that may have similarities!!
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
I'd personally love to hear if you could come up with any other similarities between films, Jeff! Oh, and thanks for the kudos on the latest episode - it is much appreciated!!
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy