Dan the Pixar Fan
Well this is odd... it looks like this October, 20th Century Fox will beat Pixar by making a CG animated film based on Dia de Muertos (the Mexican day of the dead).

It's called "The Book of Life" and the trailer has just been released. You can watch it here: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118867

What are the chances? I know this isn't going to be like Pixar's vision, but it's still based around the same idea of doing an animated film about/around this holiday. This reminds me of when Antz was released just a month before A Bug's Life, or Shark Tale near Finding Nemo, ha! I wonder what company started developing the idea first? It just seems like too much of a coincidence to have have 2 CG animated films in development about this subject matter.

What are your thoughts? To me, this film looks very strange and I hope Pixar does something totally different with the concept.
Quote 1 0
Dan the Pixar Fan
I was interested in looking into when both "Day of the Dead" films were announced and which one was announced 1st. This is what I found:

From wikipedia: "'The Book of Life was' originally optioned by DreamWorks Animation in 2007, but never went beyond development because of 'creative differences.; On February 21, 2012, it was announced Guillermo del Toro would produce the film, originally titled Day of the Dead."

From Pixar wiki: "Disney/Pixar announced Lee Unkrich's next film at CinemaCon on April 24, 2012. For now it is being referred to as The Untitled Pixar Movie About Dia de los Muertos" (the Day of the Dead).

Wow, so it seems they were both officially announced only months within each other, but it seems The Book of Life was revealed 1st with early development harkening all the way back to 2007. Man, I guess we'll never know though who had this idea first so maybe it was just a total coincidence.
Quote 0 0
mac95
I don't usually judge a film to much with just one trailer, so I'm not sure if I'll see it yet or not. I agree, it looks odd, with strange character designs and an odd story for sure.
With the other films you mentioned, it was DreamWorks stealing ideas, but in this case I don't think Pixar or Twentieth Century Fox were stealing any ideas and it was just coincidence.
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
I agree that this is crazy that there hasn't been a movie about the topic of the day of the dead, but all the sudden two are being created at the same time and both within the animation industry. That being said, I have to agree that there isn't any stealing going on here...I just think that it's a coincidence...a crazy one, but a coincidence nonetheless (at least that's my opinion on the topic).

Like you said too, I don't think they'll be anything alike really...just based on the holiday as the through line to the story. Either way, it does stink that 20th Century Fox is going be in theaters first because if this movie does gain any traction (which I don't think it will on a large scale so I'm not too concerned), general audiences that don't follow Pixar on a daily basis will "think" that Pixar stole the idea from them.
Quote 0 0
Dan the Pixar Fan
That was my only worry, "general audiences that don't follow Pixar on a daily basis will "think" that Pixar stole the idea from them." Who got the idea where doesn't matter as much since we'll never know that. Like you said T.J., this one coming out later this year may be quickly forgotten and there might never be any mention of it in a few years when we get Pixar's.
Quote 0 0
mac95
I agree with what you guys are saying. With the film's release just a couple weeks away, I think it is safe to share my official opinions.
I have heard zero buzz on any websites out there and no one I know has been talking about it. I have seen a few commercials for it, and they all seem vague and a little odd. I have much respect for the film, don't get me wrong, but it just isn't clicking with me and I don't think it will with anyone else. With luck, people will forget about this by the time Dia de los Muertos rolls around.

Additionally, what are your thoughts on Laika's The Boxtrolls? Normally I don't like the creepy Burton-style stop-motion movies, but this one has creative and quirky character designs, I think. I will hopefully see it very soon, it is getting generally positive reviews.
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Couldn't agree more about your comments on the Buzz - it certainly seems like it might fall flat. Although I may have been concerned about people mixing these films up, it just seems like this will fall by the wayside and the time between releases will be far enough apart that it won't even cross people's minds.

Also, hmmm, I hate to say it but I'm not pumped up for Box Trolls either. I was talking to Julie about it the other day and I just kept saying that I wasn't a fan of the characters. Did you end up seeing it - if so, what did you think? I'm interested to see if the characters were appealing through the story...because for me, on the exterior I agree that I'm not typically a fan of the Burton-style (although I love stop-motion movies by Aardman).
Quote 0 0
mac95
Well, it's definetly different, with a unique style. The characters seemed appealing to me from the trailers, and they are in the movie, too-- specifically the Boxtrolls themselves. They were always fun, and I really came to care about them more than the main character. The main character, a young boy named Eggs, is not that captivating, and is hard to relate to. His character arc is okay, but I just can't connect with him and feel the "heart". The story is well done, and the design in this film is really well done. The characters and sets and props are just beautiful. Overall, the characters are appealing, yet sometimes I can see the creepy Burton-style struggling to be released in the movie. This happens mainly in the scenes with the villian, but is still enjoyable and is one that you love to hate. The story is simple, yet retained my interest as the movie went on. This gave time for the characters to develops and have some fun scenes. I recommend seeing it at some point, I thought it was charming and unique.
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Cool, I'll definitely have to check it out at some point!
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy