andreas the pixar maniac

Quote 0 0
Bonnie
[Buzz-Lightyear-Free-Falling-Nooooo-Reaction-Gif-In-Toy-Story-2] 

Fantastic. I can just hear the board meeting from here. "Guys, we can't buy third houses with these numbers; greenlight two more sequels".

Good grief, what the hell, people? It's dinosaurs! Come on! I thought everyone loved those! 

Grah. *Makes mental note to buy Arlo plush before they stop selling them*
Quote 2 0
Movie Bear
The sad part is that THE GOOD DINOSAUR, while arguably "not up to Pixar standards" or "not as inventive and groundbreaking as Inside Out" according to many critics, is still a really good movie. Even sadder is that it's box office competition for the last 2 weeks, Mockingjay Part 2 and Krampus, are mostly awful.

Other than dimming my view of the movie-going public and many film critics, this situation won't change my enjoyment of what I think is a wonderful film...near the top of Pixar movies for me.  And it certainly won't hurt Pixar.
Quote 1 0
andreas the pixar maniac
 oh and if anyone wants to know my reaction to this then just watch this video

Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
So interesting. I'm not 100% sure what the hurdle is that's tripping this film up. Dinos...Pixar...it all adds up to success.

Usually, the banner of it being an animated film really draws audiences in as families look for movies to watch together. It's not like they're going to Krampus as a family or really Hunger Games with younger kids. If I had to guess, I'd think that the film is lacking word of mouth praise that is getting families excited to talk to other families. If anything I could see this because of the heavy tone of the film - at least that's the sense I've gotten when talking to families that went with children.
Quote 0 0
Bonnie
Hunger Games was also Penguins of Madagascar's competition last year when that bombed. 

Since if there's one thing I've learned this year it's that people have an unsatisfiable appetite for things made solely because there's money to be made by doing so and therefore PoM by all rights should have been a success (no offense to the movie, aside from the climax I liked it), yeah, I'm thinking Hunger Games may be to blame. 
Quote 0 0
Vellerie
James Bond: Spectre is probably another movie diverting attention away from TGD. Not to mention that many families might be saving up for Christmas presents right now, so they aren't seeing movies with their kids. I've personally seen both Mockingjay part 2 and Spectre because I was out with extended family who wanted to see them. Right now, though, my immediate family is bad off financially due to unforseen circumstances so it may be a while until I see TGD. I hope to be able to see it in theaters, but I have to prioritize my schooling, which is a hefty sum (given the books, uniforms, tools, medical expenses, etc I must cover), so it probably won't happen.
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
I wouldn't really blame it on Hunger Games- they both somewhat target different audiences (I emphasize somewhat).

I think it's more like this movie looks pretty dull and is kind of forgettable. Not that that is what I think, but pretty much when people go to the movie theater to see a movie they want and a preview for TGD comes up, I don't think by the end of the film they're going to remember a trailer for "a good dinosaur". It's pretty much kind of another version of Nemo (except a bit more on the lower level) and very unmemorable. At least, that's what I think. I've never heard of that other movie Movie Bear mentioned (Something that starts with a K) and Hunger Games is mostly gonna be watched by its fans, so I can't really say The Good Dinosaur is a box office bust because it came out the same time as those other movies. My two cents though.
Quote 0 0
Movie Bear
Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:
So interesting. I'm not 100% sure what the hurdle is that's tripping this film up. Dinos...Pixar...it all adds up to success.

Usually, the banner of it being an animated film really draws audiences in as families look for movies to watch together. It's not like they're going to Krampus as a family or really Hunger Games with younger kids. If I had to guess, I'd think that the film is lacking word of mouth praise that is getting families excited to talk to other families. If anything I could see this because of the heavy tone of the film - at least that's the sense I've gotten when talking to families that went with children.

Indeed. Something like this can't really be attributed to only one factor. Though what you mention is definitely one of the factors.
Quote 1 0
Movie Bear
Word of mouth and reviews are things that can turn the tide for or against a film and that may be happening with TGD.  Take them for what they are, but here are some examples of what I've read...

"The Good Dinosaur is a stupid title. What is a Good Dinosaur? What made him good? Are there really any bad dinosaurs?"

"We all know dinosaurs and humans did not coexist. This movie doesn't follow history" ...this is in spite of the repeatedly advertised premise...similarly....
"Seems like The Good Dinosaur missed the whole notion of how Darwinism works."

"Pixar had so many production issues, which are fully apparent in the result."

"I thought it would be much better from the creators of Inside Out."

"Nothing is wrong with Pixar having a flop. Pixar fans are too high and mighty if you ask me."

"Apparently the short film is better than the actual Good Dinosaur movie."

"Possibly the most violent Pixar animation ever."
Quote 0 0
Gray Catbird
On the other hand, Frozen was released at the same time as Catching Fire and it still managed to hit big, so I wonder if Hunger Games is really that much of a problem?

I gotta say this result is really disappointing and rather surprising. MU and Brave, both films that received comparably lukewarm receptions, didn't underperform. Same goes with Cars 2...

Maybe what the film makes up in beautiful scenery 1) wasn't sufficient to redeem a story grown-ups have deemed "for kids", while 2) it fails to amuse the younger audience? Maybe the cast isn't colorful enough (a la Finding Nemo)?
We all know that looking at which films cross the 1 billion mark (cough Minions cough) can make us lose all hope in humanity.

Maybe marketing might have been an issue? The film received relatively little promotion until very close to the release date, especially in comparison to Inside Out which received extensive coverage ever since it was first announced.

Movie Bear wrote:
Word of mouth and reviews are things that can turn the tide for or against a film and that may be happening with TGD.  Take them for what they are, but here are some examples of what I've read..."The Good Dinosaur is a stupid title. What is a Good Dinosaur? What made him good? Are there really any bad dinosaurs?""We all know dinosaurs and humans did not coexist. This movie doesn't follow history" ...this is in spite of the repeatedly advertised premise...similarly...."Seems like The Good Dinosaur missed the whole notion of how Darwinism works.""Pixar had so many production issues, which are fully apparent in the result.""I thought it would be much better from the creators of Inside Out.""Nothing is wrong with Pixar having a flop. Pixar fans are too high and mighty if you ask me."Apparently the short film is better than the actual Good Dinosaur movie.""Possibly the most violent Pixar animation ever."

I've heard similar things; half of those comments are ridiculous (meaning misled). But on the other hand, other Pixar films were plagued with similar remarks. For instance, "Inside Out is a ripoff of Herman's Head", "Pixar fired its first female director", "MU makes a major contradiction with MI"... It was said too that The Blue Umbrella or Hawaiian Vacation were better than the film they were attached to. Yet these films didn't end being called box office failures, so I wonder how much these comments can be accounted for.

(Oh and violence... That is absolutely ridiculous. Nothing can top the climatic battle of Brave.)
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
All great points - I agree with Gray's comments about Brave being more intense at the ending, but I think the little moments throughout The Good Dinosaur are what would be driving people's comments about the violence.

Also - Vellerie The tough moments always ease over time - we're thinking of you guys!
Quote 0 0
Gray Catbird
Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:
All great points - I agree with Gray's comments about Brave being more intense at the ending, but I think the little moments throughout The Good Dinosaur are what would be driving people's comments about the violence.

I gotta agree with that. I do feel like there's a sense of constant peril in The Good Dinosaur. I wouldn't call it very violent, but it does give the film a somewhat "darker" tone than many Pixar films.
Quote 0 0
Bonnie
Couldn't it be said that Ratatouille, Toy Story 3, and Finding Nemo also had constant peril?

Gray Catbird wrote:
On the other hand, Frozen was released at the same time as Catching Fire and it still managed to hit big, so I wonder if Hunger Games is really that much of a problem?

I didn't know that. Definitely blows a hole in my theory. 

Quote:
I gotta say this result is really disappointing and rather surprising. MU and Brave, both films that received comparably lukewarm receptions, didn't underperform. Same goes with Cars 2...

Those are sequels and a princess movie. There's the explanation. 
Quote:

"Pixar had so many production issues, which are fully apparent in the result."

Don't see what's wrong about commenting on the likely cause of the movie's problems.

Quote:

Yeah, Pixar shows their ability to make movies of one caliber, therefore people expect that caliber again. I don't really see why people keep claiming this is ridiculous.

And Inside Out got a bunch of comments about how much better than Cars 2, Brave, and MU it was. Never saw anyone complaining that it might be unfairly benefiting from being compared to garbage.

Quote:

"Apparently the short film is better than the actual Good Dinosaur movie."

Again, don't see what's so ridiculous about this.
Quote 0 0
Gray Catbird
Bonnie wrote:
Couldn't it be said that Ratatouille, Toy Story 3, and Finding Nemo also had constant peril?

Yes. Which is why it doesn't seem like a good enough reason... But I guess it could help bring down the film if it doesn't have other counterbalancing qualities (like being a sequel)

Bonnie wrote:
Quote:

Those are sequels and a princess movie. There's the explanation.

That certainly has a lot to do (Let's not forget the public is actually pumped up for Finding Dory), but at the same time the sequel effect doesn't necessarily guarantee that a film will be a success...

Bonnie wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, Pixar shows their ability to make movies of one caliber, therefore people expect that caliber again. I don't really see why people keep claiming this is ridiculous.

This is a bit of a classic now... It seems that Pixar is measured with a very diffrerent ruler than the rest of the animated films... While it's perfectly understandable, havn't the expectations become a bit too high?

This leads me to wonder how much exactly do comparisons with other Pixar films influe the box office? Because, I would expect that the general public has limited knowledge of which studio makes which film (How many times have you seen it that [insert title of animated film here] was a Pixar film?) and thus that it wouldn't make much of an effect?

Bonnie wrote:
And Inside Out got a bunch of comments about how much better than Cars 2, Brave, and MU it was. Never saw anyone complaining that it might be unfairly benefiting from being compared to garbage.

Which might be further evidence The Good Dinosaur is hurt from coming hot on the heels of Inside Out...
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy