andreas the pixar maniac Show full post »
Peace_Love_Pixar
Gray Catbird wrote:
On the other hand, Frozen was released at the same time as Catching Fire and it still managed to hit big, so I wonder if Hunger Games is really that much of a problem?


Exactly! I don't think Hunger Games is that much of a problem.

Gray Catbird wrote:
Maybe what the film makes up in beautiful scenery wasn't sufficient to redeem a story grown-ups have deemed "for kids", while it fails to amuse the younglings? Maybe the cast isn't colorful enough (a la Finding Nemo)?


I think so. Though the film failed to amuse and entertain kids based on the reviews I've read.

Gray Catbird wrote:
We all know that looking at which films cross the 1 billion mark (cough Minions cough) can make us lose all hope in humanity.


Yep, though I'm not sure if I like The Good Dino, I know for sure that Minions was worse and definitely didn't deserve the heaps of money it obviously got.

Gray Catbird wrote:
Maybe marketing might have been an issue? The film received relatively little promotion until very close to the release date, especially in comparison with Inside Out which received extensive coverage ever since it was first announced.


I was reading around and apparently yes, I do believe that some people didn't know about the movie and the marketing kind of... sucked. It was the same thing, over and over and over and over and over, and you barely ever get a glimpse of the scenes it's ashamed to show (Like what happened with Arlo's unconscious corpse? Yeah, I'm sure Pixar's real proud of presenting that to the public! Or maybe one of the thousand of times he falls off a cliff, ooh that'll be a real treat...)

Gray Catbird wrote:
Movie Bear wrote:
Word of mouth and reviews are things that can turn the tide for or against a film and that may be happening with TGD. Take them for what they are, but here are some examples of what I've read..."The Good Dinosaur is a stupid title. What is a Good Dinosaur? What made him good? Are there really any bad dinosaurs?""We all know dinosaurs and humans did not coexist. This movie doesn't follow history" ...this is in spite of the repeatedly advertised premise...similarly...."Seems like The Good Dinosaur missed the whole notion of how Darwinism works.""Pixar had so many production issues, which are fully apparent in the result.""I thought it would be much better from the creators of Inside Out.""Nothing is wrong with Pixar having a flop. Pixar fans are too high and mighty if you ask me."Apparently the short film is better than the actual Good Dinosaur movie.""Possibly the most violent Pixar animation ever."


Yes I've heard similar things; half of those comments are ridiculous. But on the other hand, other Pixar films were plagued with similar remarks. For instance, "Inside Out is a ripoff of Herman's Head", "Pixar fired its first female director", "MU makes a major contradiction with MI"... It was said too that The Blue Umbrella or Hawaiian Vacation were better than the film they were attached to. Yet these films didn't end being called box office failures, so I wonder how much these comments can be accounted for. Oh and violence... That is absolutely ridiculous. Nothing can top the climatic battle of Brave.


Actually, I think TGD surpasses the action of Brave. The most you see is maybe an ax get driven into the head of a bear statue... Er, well that is pretty bad... But! TGD is unnecessarily brutal. I swear, it's like going around in a circle. "On you're left, you'll see Pterodactyl Terrace. Watch your limbs guys, they have a taste for human." "Oh, here is one of the many Fall-off Precipices signs. Keep a watchful eye- maybe you can catch all 829 of them!" "Aw, look guys! Quiet now, you don't want to disturb the characters- but check it out, they're about to eat the fruit that'll make them high!" "Shouldn't we warn them?" "Um, how about we just go look at that tree over there?" Seriously, it's ridiculous.

And those Pixar movies Bonnie named doesn't really have a state of constant peril- at least in my opinion.

I'm just really mad at the movie they advertised. Like, what the heck? What is this movie? Ohhh, never mind I get it- they need an audience so they figured that they would attract more people if they state a Finding Nemo/The Lion King/Ice Age/The Croods/The Jungle Book dinosaur movie is in theaters (Even though, you know, it isn't)! Clever, but that really just makes me think- were they even PROUD of this movie? Cause I'm going to see a film, not and hour and forty minutes of a tree gently swaying in the wind and a bird that we've never seen before tweet a soft, gentle song and then SPLATTER! A dinosaur comes outta nowhere and devours the creature in such a way that you see the blood spill and the eyes pop out and a trail of intestines just dangling from his mouth. Like really, who needs that?

Anyway I'll answer to those quotes Movie Bear and Gray Carbird posted soon enough in another post.
Quote 0 0
Movie Bear
Peace_Love_Pixar wrote:
Gray Catbird wrote:
On the other hand, Frozen was released at the same time as Catching Fire and it still managed to hit big, so I wonder if Hunger Games is really that much of a problem?
Exactly! I don't think Hunger Games is that much of a problem.
Gray Catbird wrote:
Maybe what the film makes up in beautiful scenery wasn't sufficient to redeem a story grown-ups have deemed "for kids", while it fails to amuse the younglings? Maybe the cast isn't colorful enough (a la Finding Nemo)?
I think so. Though the film failed to amuse and entertain kids based on the reviews I've read.
Gray Catbird wrote:
We all know that looking at which films cross the 1 billion mark (cough Minions cough) can make us lose all hope in humanity.
Yep, though I'm not sure if I like The Good Dino, I know for sure that Minions was worse and definitely didn't deserve the heaps of money it obviously got.
Gray Catbird wrote:
Maybe marketing might have been an issue? The film received relatively little promotion until very close to the release date, especially in comparison with Inside Out which received extensive coverage ever since it was first announced.
I was reading around and apparently yes, I do believe that some people didn't know about the movie and the marketing kind of... sucked. It was the same thing, over and over and over and over and over, and you barely ever get a glimpse of the scenes it's ashamed to show (Like what happened with Arlo's unconscious corpse? Yeah, I'm sure Pixar's real proud of presenting that to the public! Or maybe one of the thousand of times he falls off a cliff, ooh that'll be a real treat...)
Gray Catbird wrote:
Movie Bear wrote:
Word of mouth and reviews are things that can turn the tide for or against a film and that may be happening with TGD. Take them for what they are, but here are some examples of what I've read..."The Good Dinosaur is a stupid title. What is a Good Dinosaur? What made him good? Are there really any bad dinosaurs?""We all know dinosaurs and humans did not coexist. This movie doesn't follow history" ...this is in spite of the repeatedly advertised premise...similarly...."Seems like The Good Dinosaur missed the whole notion of how Darwinism works.""Pixar had so many production issues, which are fully apparent in the result.""I thought it would be much better from the creators of Inside Out.""Nothing is wrong with Pixar having a flop. Pixar fans are too high and mighty if you ask me."Apparently the short film is better than the actual Good Dinosaur movie.""Possibly the most violent Pixar animation ever."
Yes I've heard similar things; half of those comments are ridiculous. But on the other hand, other Pixar films were plagued with similar remarks. For instance, "Inside Out is a ripoff of Herman's Head", "Pixar fired its first female director", "MU makes a major contradiction with MI"... It was said too that The Blue Umbrella or Hawaiian Vacation were better than the film they were attached to. Yet these films didn't end being called box office failures, so I wonder how much these comments can be accounted for. Oh and violence... That is absolutely ridiculous. Nothing can top the climatic battle of Brave.
Actually, I think TGD surpasses the action of Brave. The most you see is maybe an ax get driven into the head of a bear statue... Er, well that is pretty bad... But! TGD is unnecessarily brutal. I swear, it's like going around in a circle. "On you're left, you'll see Pterodactyl Terrace. Watch your limbs guys, they have a taste for human." "Oh, here is one of the many Fall-off Precipices signs. Keep a watchful eye- maybe you can catch all 829 of them!" "Aw, look guys! Quiet now, you don't want to disturb the characters- but check it out, they're about to eat the fruit that'll make them high!" "Shouldn't we warn them?" "Um, how about we just go look at that tree over there?" Seriously, it's ridiculous. And those Pixar movies Bonnie named doesn't really have a state of constant peril- at least in my opinion. I'm just really mad at the movie they advertised. Like, what the heck? What is this movie? Ohhh, never mind I get it- they need an audience so they figured that they would attract more people if they state a Finding Nemo/The Lion King/Ice Age/The Croods/The Jungle Book dinosaur movie is in theaters (Even though, you know, it isn't)! Clever, but that really just makes me think- were they even PROUD of this movie? Cause I'm going to see a film, not and hour and forty minutes of a tree gently swaying in the wind and a bird that we've never seen before tweet a soft, gentle song and then SPLATTER! A dinosaur comes outta nowhere and devours the creature in such a way that you see the blood spill and the eyes pop out and a trail of intestines just dangling from his mouth. Like really, who needs that? Anyway I'll answer to those quotes Movie Bear and Gray Carbird posted soon enough in another post.



Wait, PLP...Which movie has over an hour of a tree swaying in the breeze and a bird getting devoured by a dinosaur with blood spatter. eyes popping out and intestines dangling from a mouth?  I don't remember this from TGD. It must be that I'm misremembering a scene from BOTH times that I've seen TGD. Or is that another movie you're referencing? Have you seen TGD?
Quote 0 0
Arlo
I'm surprised The Good Dinosaur is not doing well at the box office. Considering it is a very good movie. Well it has this weekend to make up for last weekends loss. This may be the last big weekend for the movie, as another film also from disney Star Wars approaches
Quote 1 0
Vellerie
Actually, I think Toy Story 3 does have constant peril. I mean, they're locked up in a creepy daycare ruled by an evil bear and his thugs. They even beat old timer for information (wouldn't you call that torture?) and brainwashed buzz, and the main toys were almost murdered in an incinerator. Not to mention the creepiness of the watchful monkey and Big Baby lol. And let's not forget the violence in a bugs life--if I remember right, Hopper buried bugs alive and in the end he was eaten alive by a bird.
Quote 1 0
Gray Catbird
I stand by my point that Brave has the most intense scenes of any Pixar film to date. Mor'du's monstruosity and violence isn't toned down the slightest, and his design is close if not equal to what would be seen in a PG-13. But I agree that the film as a whole is more lighthearted with tons of (very) goofy humour to balance out the darker aspects.
I was talking about how far the violence goes, not necessarily how dark the overall tone is.

I also totally agree with Vellerie about TS3 being pretty intense. I remember once going through the negative comments for it on IMDb (no idea how I ended up doing that), and most of the 0 stars reviews were parents that had been freaked out by the incinerator and such.
And yet, it's Pixar's greatest, box office-wise.

(BTW, just in case my previous statement was not clear, I for one think the "beautiful scenery" in TGD sure makes up for the simplicity of the story, which, although simple, isn't dumb, and the humour largely worked.)
Quote 0 0
Bonnie
Quote:
And those Pixar movies Bonnie named doesn't really have a state of constant peril- at least in my opinion. 


The characters spend the majority of the movies in places where they're likely to be killed (or at least have something bad happen to them). You can argue whether or not that's really on someone's mind while watching, but it's a fact that they do that. Is it there for the WHOLE movie? No. But it isn't for Good Dinosaur either. 

Gray Catbird wrote:
That certainly has a lot to do (Let's not forget the public is actually pumped up for Finding Dory), but at the same time the sequel effect doesn't necessarily guarantee that a film will be a success...


True. But like 9/10 it does.


Quote:
This is a bit of a classic now... It seems that Pixar is measured with a very diffrerent ruler than the rest of the animated films... While it's perfectly understandable, havn't the expectations become a bit too high?


No? It's not like the expectations escalate with each movie. "You've done this good thing eight times in a row; do it again" is a reasonable expectation as far as I'm concerned. And it's not like everyone's just waiting to bolt the second they make something mediocre; Cars got lukewarm reviews, everyone was perfectly willing to get right back to complimenting Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, and Toy Story 3 and acting like nothing happened. Trip ups are understood, I don't think people are seriously expecting absolute perfection forever. If they'd released a good movie after Cars 2 instead of two more bad ones people probably wouldn't be commenting on their decline so much. 

Quote:
This leads me to wonder how much exactly do comparisons with other Pixar films influe the box office? Because, I would expect that the general public has limited knowledge of which studio makes which film (How many times have you seen it that [insert title of animated film here] was a Pixar film?) and thus that it wouldn't make much of an effect?



Pixar generally has a fairly good presence in public conscious, from my experience. Occasionally you see a screw up, but I do think they're much better off than most other non-Disney studios (whenever there is a screw up, generally it's a fairly understandable one, like Planes). 

That said, pretty much impossible to tell how much it'd effect money intake. 

Quote:
Which might be further evidence The Good Dinosaur is hurt from coming hot on the heels of Inside Out...


Not my point, my point is that the same supposed thing happens in reverse but no one ever complains about the supposed unfairness of it when there's a possibility it benefits Pixar. 
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Movie Bear wrote:
Wait, PLP...Which movie has over an hour of a tree swaying in the breeze and a bird getting devoured by a dinosaur with blood spatter. eyes popping out and intestines dangling from a mouth? I don't remember this from TGD. It must be that I'm misremembering a scene from BOTH times that I've seen TGD. Or is that another movie you're referencing? Have you seen TGD?


Movie Bear, it was a hyperbole. I was figuratively speaking, not being literal. I thought from the example you'd understand that. My bad. Let me try again then.

I don't want to see a movie where the protagonist is a whiny coward afraid of chickens that the family doesn't need, where a dad verbally abuses and criticizes his son for not murdering a critter and his brother follows his father's footsteps, where his sister isn't at all important, where they try and say that you need to prove yourself otherwise you're just a worthless burden to everyone around you, where they get rid of the dad just to make you feel sad, where the pacing of the movie is so bad that it feels episodic, where they bring in a bunch of characters that go away never to be seen again, where they make a species trying to survive look disgusting just to make the point they're "evil", where another dad urges his children to waste they're blood supply on an animal if they're being attacked just to have a good story to tell to there descendants, where the T-Rexes raise animals just to eat them later, where the visuals are so terribly fantastic that it'll give the young'uns vivid nightmares, where the main character and his friend go into a drunk-like state to "move along the story" (?), where the Pterodactyls brutally kill anything that's small and breathes because they're some barbarous animals too hungry to care, where the main character abandons his friend that's helping him get back home because he's scared, where the filmmakers believe you have a horrible memory and that the "face your fear" message is something completely new so they keep repeating so that you can finally understand by at least the end of the movie, where the whiny coward we're introduced to at the beginning of the film suddenly transforms into this super dinosaur, where Arlo once again abandons his friend except it's sugar coated to look like a sad goodbye scene when really he could be leading Spot to a clan of cannibals, and when they finally let the Apatosaurus make his mark because he came home (even though he didn't contribute to the farm in anyway once so ever).

There is that better?
Quote 0 0
Movie Bear
Peace_Love_Pixar wrote:
Movie Bear wrote:
Wait, PLP...Which movie has over an hour of a tree swaying in the breeze and a bird getting devoured by a dinosaur with blood spatter. eyes popping out and intestines dangling from a mouth? I don't remember this from TGD. It must be that I'm misremembering a scene from BOTH times that I've seen TGD. Or is that another movie you're referencing? Have you seen TGD?
Movie Bear, it was a hyperbole. I was figuratively speaking, not being literal. I thought from the example you'd understand that. My bad. Let me try again then. I don't want to see a movie where the protagonist is a whiny coward afraid of chickens that the family doesn't need, where a dad verbally abuses and criticizes his son for not murdering a critter and his brother follows his father's footsteps, where his sister isn't at all important, where they try and say that you need to prove yourself otherwise you're just a worthless burden to everyone around you, where they get rid of the dad just to make you feel sad, where the pacing of the movie is so bad that it feels episodic, where they bring in a bunch of characters that go away never to be seen again, where they make a species trying to survive look disgusting just to make the point they're "evil", where another dad urges his children to waste they're blood supply on an animal if they're being attacked just to have a good story to tell to there descendants, where the T-Rexes raise animals just to eat them later, where the visuals are so terribly fantastic that it'll give the young'uns vivid nightmares, where the main character and his friend go into a drunk-like state to "move along the story" (?), where the Pterodactyls brutally kill anything that's small and breathes because they're some barbarous animals too hungry to care, where the main character abandons his friend that's helping him get back home because he's scared, where the filmmakers believe you have a horrible memory and that the "face your fear" message is something completely new so they keep repeating so that you can finally understand by at least the end of the movie, where the whiny coward we're introduced to at the beginning of the film suddenly transforms into this super dinosaur, where Arlo once again abandons his friend except it's sugar coated to look like a sad goodbye scene when really he could be leading Spot to a clan of cannibals, and when they finally let the Apatosaurus make his mark because he came home (even though he didn't contribute to the farm in anyway once so ever). There is that better?


OK, PLP.  Point made.  Your statement that you don't want to see this movie is no care of mine.  In fact, based on your stated biases against pretty near everything in the movie, I'd agree that you probably shouldn't. You'd only end up being even more disappointed. If that's even possible.
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Movie Bear wrote:
OK, PLP. Point made.


All right.

Movie Bear wrote:
Your statement that you don't want to see this movie is no care of mine.


Well then, please stop implying that it is! Is that so hard?

Movie Bear wrote:
You'd only end up being even more disappointed. If that's even possible.


*Rolls eyes*

Come on man, I'm just here to discuss Pixar and their films, not fight with another user. You don't agree with me, fine, good even, cause I love hearing and discussing these kind of things, but if you really need aggression to support your opinion over a movie, well I'm only gonna say how disappointing that is given the circumstances.

I just hope this doesn't color future conversations we may have. I'm just saying what I think about this film, not personally attacking your opinion on it, ok? Please understand that.
Quote 0 0
Luis504170

UPDATE: With The Good Dinosaur's third weekend in theaters, it  has managed to snatch another 10 million.

The Good Dinosaur after 3 weeks
Domestic: 90 million
Worldwide:168 million

Inside Out after 3 weeks
Domestic: 246 million
Worldwide:364 million

The Good Dinosaur is indeed, under performing.

Quote 0 0
Bonnie
Do we know its actual budget yet? I imagine the delay probably pushed it to 200 million, if it wasn't there already.
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
3427415425395920086
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy