PixarsBiggestFan
Lately, I have been thinking about why Coco has not been getting a lot of attention; why people are calling Walt Disney Animation better than Pixar; why there are so many Frozen theatrical films in such a short answer of time. What I  have theorized is based on the histories of Disney and Pixar, one will always dominate the other creatively speaking - and it will change every 8-10 years.

This decade (2010-2019), Pixar has 7/11 Films being sequels. If the 4 originals, Brave and The Good Dinosaur had lower reviews than other original Pixar properties; Coco isn’t getting a lot of attention and has some controversies. The 7 sequels have been considered by the general public to be anywhere from really bad (Cars 2) to outstanding (Toy Story 3).

At Disney, original ideas have been at a high both critically and financially did the first time since the 1990’s. Zootopia is considered to be as good as, if not better than, Pixar’s films of their glory days (1995-2009). Frozen has already made numerous theatrical appearances (at least 4 at the end of 2019, including the shorts).

I believe sequels within Disney animation are like a pendulum and the studio that the pendulum is on is a sequel machine. Right now it is on Pixar. But stats show this is likely to change over the next few years.

Pixar: Evidence of Decreasing Sequels Beginning in 2020
It has been confirmed that all Pixar films in production coming out post-2019 are original. The majority of Pixar’s sequels took a long time to release (12 years between Monsters, Inc. and Monsters University; 13 between Finding Nemo and Finding Dory; 14 between the two Incredibles). Judging from these stats, as well as the box office of Cars 3 and Pixar’s protectiveness of Toy Story,  it is unlikely to receive any sequels until very late in the decade at the earliest. In addition, Andrew Stanton and Brad Bird have expressed interest in live-action, further decreasing the chances of sequels to their respective Pixar films.

Disney: Evidence of Increasing Reliance on Sequels As Early As 2017
Just when it began to look like original ideas dominated Walt Disney Animation, it appears as if the pendulum is beginning to shift as early as mid-2017. Gigantic, their only original film currently in the works, was pushed back by two years. The last time this happened was to Pixar’s The Good Dinosaur, and it didn’t go well for them critically or financially. Disney was very quick to make theatrical sequels for both Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen. To make matters worse for Disney, it has become obvious they are reliant on Frozen due to the fact they felt it was necessary for fans to see Olaf’s Frozen Adventure theatrically with Coco, proving their reliance on the franchise to gain a larger audience for Disney as a whole.

Ratio of Announced Upcoming Originals to Sequels
Pixar: 2:2, or 50% original. Projects counted include CocoIncredibles 2, Toy Story 4, and the untitled fantasy suburban film.
Disney: 1:2, or 33% original. Projects counted include Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2, Frozen 2, and Gigantic.

These ratios prove that people think it’s Pixar making too many sequels, but they have more originals people know about than Disney and both studios have the same number of sequels.
Quote 1 0
Luis504170
I've actually wondered this myself although I haven't actually laid it out like you did. Honestly I'm just hoping for good movies at this point. They are just looking to pull on thread that doesn't exist, that's why their movies (and by movies I mean sequels cause that's almost all they've been doing) haven't been as good. And honestly, I don't think I can handle John Lassetter speaking about their movies anymore, he just doesn't seem like a genuine creative guy anymore.

As far as the Disney vs Pixar thing goes. 7 years ago I would've said Pixar easily, and I would've laughed about the idea of bringing Disney up as competition. Now, it's definitely Disney, and I don't see Pixar beating them creatively any time soon, even if Coco is amazing. Granted, this decade the best movie any of the two studios has put out is Inside Out. But after that, nearly everything Disney has done has been much better than any Pixar movie. The second best Pixar movie after Inside Out since 2011 has been Finding Dory, and even that pales in comparison to Zootopia, Moana, or even Big Hero 6. And after hearing about the reactions and the descriptions of Wreck it Ralph 2 from D23 Expo, it looks like Disney is doing insanely creative stuff with their sequels, something Pixar hasn't done since 2010. 

I mean from 1995-2010 Pixar put out an animated masterpiece pretty much every year. Now from 2011-2017, they've only had one. I can't just sit here and lie to myself and say "It's all good" because clearly, it's not. Sure some of us might love Monsters U, Brave, Cars 2, or Cars 3. But I'm speaking in general terms here from both critics and fans

Sorry if I'm being a party pooper, but I just love Pixar so much that I feel the need to express my concern for their "creative" choices. But still, I am unhealthily excited for my most anticipated movie of all time, the only sequel anyone was actually asking for, INCREDIBLES 2!! BABY!! YASSSSSSSSSSS, BRING ON THAT FIRST TRAILER!
Quote 0 0
Gray Catbird
In my opinion, though there does seem to be a trend like you describe, PixarsBiggestFan, I think it's mostly a coincidence that Disney's rebirth coincided with Pixar's wave of sequels. Pixar has been making tons of sequels because they had tons of successful films that had not received a sequel yet (as to why it happened all at once like this, to me it seems linked Pixar's change of ownership with its acquisition by Disney). Now Pixar has hopefully done all the sequels, so there is a vacuum that can be more easily filled by originals.
Meanwhile, Disney wasn't doing sequels lately simply because there were no sequels to be made. DisneyToon has already done nearly all the sequels to classic Disney films, with mediocre results. Now Disney has created a bunch of profitable properties (thanks, ironically, to its acquisition of Pixar), and they are ready to get their sequels. The reason is, I think it is safe to say about the Disney company as a whole right now that any movie that is successful will get a sequel. (Considering this strategy is paying off with Star Wars, Marvel, the live-action remakes, it's not all bad, if you ask me.)

As for Pixar vs. Disney. I totally agree that in the past few years Disney has made better movies than Pixar. The weirdest part for me is that it's not just a sequel problem. Pixar's originals were weaker too (save for Inside Out, of course). Still, I have been enjoying Pixar's post-2010 movies more than the average fan (I really like Cars 3 [tongue] ), I think, so I don't complain too much. One thing that perhaps did happen though, was that I had to change my understanding of Pixar's mode of operation somewhat. Back in 2011, I genuinely didn't expect we would ever get a Toy Story 4. Today it seems foolish to me to think like that.

Also, a sidenote: I haven't been following what was the public's reaction... Is the buzz for Ralph Breaks the Internet really positive? I was at D23 Expo, and I agree the stuff they showed was REALLY fun in itself, but I'm worried it has the potential to be really, really bad in the context of a feature film. But hey, fingers crossed until we see more.
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Awesome analysis, PixarsBiggestFan!

I myself am not too sure about Wreck-It-Ralph 2; I really enjoyed the first one but the sequel, with the Disney princesses and Star Wars and Oh My Disney, sounds like a commercial. But who knows, perhaps they can integrate it into the story very well, but until then, I don't know.

As for Incredibles 2, I just hope it's good. I'm wondering whether or not it will live up to par, and sometimes the visuals, being more advanced since the first movie, can change and it feels... Different. I don't know, jarring. If you know what I mean. It happened with Finding Dory (at least for me anyway!) where Marlin looked a bit different, so it felt that way too.

I don't if that makes sense but all in all, really interesting analysis PixarsBiggestFan!
Quote 0 0
Luis504170
Gray Catbird wrote:
Also, a sidenote: I haven't been following what was the public's reaction... Is the buzz for Ralph Breaks the Internet really positive? I was at D23 Expo, and I agree the stuff they showed was REALLY fun in itself, but I'm worried it has the potential to be really, really bad in the context of a feature film. But hey, fingers crossed until we see more.

From the movie channels on Youtube, everybody who attended D23 said extremely positive things about Wreck it Ralph. Also, if you were at D23, what did you think of the Incredibles 2 footage? Was it completely animated? I want to know! GAAAH
Quote 0 0
Gray Catbird
Sorry for going off-topic, but Luis, I loved the Incredibles II footage! If you like Jack-Jack Attack then you’ll love this, it’s very much in the same spirit but with a Jack-Jack that’s significantly better and more focused using his various powers. The footage was almost all animated, some parts were even rendered. I guess that means this clip will be one of the first things we’ll see when they start releasing footage online.

Peace_Love_Pixar, although there wasn’t a side-by-side comparison, I thought the character designs were practically the same as those in the first film, just with slightly more vibrant textures and better, more Inside Out-like hair. But I should put the caveat that personally I actually thought Finding Dory’s visuals looked the same as the original (especially when compared to the difference in other Pixar sequels, like MU or TS3).
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Gray Catbird wrote:
Peace _Love_Pixar, although there wasn’t a side-by-side comparison, I thought the character designs were practically the same as those in the first film, just with slightly more vibrant textures and better, more Inside Out-like hair. But I should put the caveat that personally I actually thought Finding Dory’s visuals looked the same as the original (especially when compared to the difference in other Pixar sequels, like MU or TS3).

Really? That's great! I'm looking forward to seeing the fully rendered characters in the future. [biggrin] And in spite of being a tad off topic, I'm curious, does Pixar plan on releasing an Incredibles teaser alongside Coco? I know there wouldn't be anything official if they do, but how likely are the odds?
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy