BeanoMaster
I feel Cars 2 gets far too much hate.

Even though it isn't one of the best Pixar movies, I felt it was still I really good movie.
Quote 1 0
Rachel Cranor
I agree Beanomaster. Even though it is not one of my favorites, I still love it. Partially, I love seeing a glimpse of so many different cultures in one movie! I also relate a lot to Mater in this film. I am a goofy person capable of empathizing with others, but was bullied heavily when I was 10-11. I didn't realize that these other girls didn't like me and were picking on me, making fun of my every action, just like Mater does. Now that I'm older, I see that.
Quote 2 0
Luis504170
I have a theory that if Cars 2 was made by another company, it would be appreciated more. I think a very big part of why its hated is that it was created by Pixar. By no means did I think it was a bad movie, it is good if you can turn your mind off for some entertainment. Also, Cars 2 followed Pixar masterpieces like Toy Story 3, Up and Wall-e, so yeah the bar was raised so high that Cars 2 struggled immensely to hit it, affecting the people that were expecting a Pixar standard movie.

Quote 1 0
Bonnie
I think the movie gets too many people trying to defend it without actually giving any reasons as to why. Baseless assertions are all I ever see in this movie's defense. 

If you like the movie, that's great, no one's stopping you, feel free to enjoy it, but that's not the same as it being a good movie. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with trying to defend a movie you like, but you need to actually defend it. Just saying it's good and claiming bias on part of those who don't agree is not defending it. 

What if I said that Toy Story 3 wasn't a good movie? What if I said I hated it and people were just caught up in nostalgia and the greatness of Ratatouille, WALL-E and Up? Odds are no one would believe me or think I was making convincing arguments, but that's pretty much the way Cars 2 is always defended. 

Again, nothing wrong with liking it. But you can like bad movies. I do. I like Chicken Little. I make no attempt to defend it. 

Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Ah, I think it's totally fine to say you like a movie and not necessarily have a reason to back it up. Some things in life you just like...there's no reason, it just entertains you. Ranking it and saying that is has to have a certain weight (in terms of the reason itself) also doesn't apply in my book. 

I also think it's safe to say that you can no longer note that you've never heard a good reason (or defense) any longer...Rachel painted a great picture as to why she liked it. She associated with how a character was treated and that means that at some level the writers did their job. Sure, that's one personal experience, but the overall feel of a movie is based on a million personal experiences combined.

I like this movie too, but in all honesty, it grew on me. I eventually appreciated the subtle elements like the technical aspects...the lighting is amazing, it's the movie (currently) with the most special effects included, the character of Finn McMissile is brilliantly designed and is extremely appealing. There are a few more reasons I enjoy it. It doesn't have to be the best (as new forum member BeanoMaster pointed out), it just has to be entertainment. 

At least that's my take.
Quote 2 0
Bonnie
I didn't say you needed reasons to back up why you like a movie. I said if you want to defend a movie you need to back it up. This thread isn't called "I like Cars 2", it's called "This movie gets too much hate". That's an assertion that goes far beyond just saying you like something, that's claiming that those that don't like it are wrong.  

I also never said I've never heard a good reason for liking it. I said that I've never seen people give a good reason why people shouldn't dislike it.
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Good point and thanks for clarifying. I guess, my response kind of touches on that I don't think you have to defend your personal stance. If he wants to say it gets too much hate, that's OK since he's going off of his personal preference. I don't think you have to defend the movie to say it's not bad.
Quote 0 0
mac95
Yes it does. I think I may have briefly mentioned this in another topic, but I think Pixar knew what they were doing with this movie and for some reason it just did not click with a lot of people. If it was not a sequel to Cars, I feel like it would be enjoyed at least a tad bit more. Everywhere you see things about sequels, you also see something like, "A good sequel stays in the universe previously created but pushes it and takes it someplace new". And while Cars 2 took it someplace new, I do not think it felt like it took place in the same universe. Also, I would like to make it clear that I do not have a problem with this-- I love the film and think it is visually fun and imaginative, and populated with great characters and a fun and enjoyable story. I believe T.J. and Julie mentioned in one of their podcasts that you don't need to get so emotionally attached and invested in it like with Up, for instance.

I can't wait for Cars 3!
Quote 1 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
I also think this movie gets too much hate. I really enjoyed it, and I didn't even realize that that many people hated it. I'm confused why, even. Was it the antagonist? The message? The characters, perhaps? Hey, better a spy story with the Cars characters than Toy Story, right? Anyway, I really didn't and still don't find anything wrong with this. It's clever, funny, and very entertaining. I understand and agree that you are titled to your own opinions, but I still think this was a great movie. I'm looking forward to what they do with Cars 3! [smile]
Quote 0 0
Bonnie
I've read the reviews, I think I can answer this.

Peace_Love_Pixar wrote:
I also think this movie gets too much hate. I really enjoyed it, and I didn't even realize that that many people hated it. I'm confused why, even. Was it the antagonist?

That depends on what you mean. I don't think I've ever seen anyone really complain about the villains, but I have seen a good amount of comments that the villains are unintentionally sympathetic. 

Just like...in the first movie Lightning's supposed to be a jerk for not liking rusty cars but it's perfectly okay for everyone to hate lemons for some reason. 

Quote:
The message?

Definitely a common complaint, yes. The movie basically presents the idea that it's wrong to want people to improve, even if they're doing things that are hurting you, which is a terrible lesson.

It's also massively hypocritical, because going by this logic Lightning being a jerk in the first one was fine because hey who are we to ask people to improve themselves? Mater wanted to be his friend he should have been friends with Jerk!Lightning. 

Quote:
The characters, perhaps?

Mater. A lot of people hate Mater. General consensus is he's one of those characters who's great in small doses but when you need to spend an hour and a half with him he gets severely irritating.

Quote:
Hey, better a spy story with the Cars characters than Toy Story, right?

I'd rather no spy story. Or maybe a spy story from an original universe. Or, hell, if they for some insane reason had to make a spy movie in an already established universe, The Incredibles would probably be the best candidate (and that's coming from someone who hates all the constant begging for Incredibles 2). I'm sure most people would agree with me. 

Also, quite frankly...no. If I absolutely had to pick between the two for a spy story, I'd choose Toy Story. Toy Story would actually have the opportunity for some interesting twists on the genre, and the entire idea wouldn't fly directly in the face of its predecessor's messages (slow down and enjoy the simple life...now SPEED UP EXPLOSIONS CHASE SCENES BIG CITIES GAH!). And on top of that, the spy genre tends to have tons of action in it and the Cars characters are terribly suited to action due to how limited in movement they are. 

Other complaints I've seen:

- Cliched
- Confusing and convoluted
- Botches its attempts at emotion 
- Plot holes 
- Too violent for a G rating
- A lot of filler

I'm sure I could find more if I flicked through the reviews again.
Quote 0 0
Peace_Love_Pixar
Villians: I don't think that the villains were unintentionally sympathetic. In the first few minutes of the movie, they killed the first agent and later "killed" Agent Fin McMissile (or however you spell it [tongue]). They then killed the American spy and messed up the race, not to mention that one in I think Italy or France when all those race cars got held up or crashed into each others. And not only that, but they tried to kill McQueen, Mater, and McMissile several
times and other cars. If anything, they were really determined to be respected for being lemons, and I think that's what made them very cruel instead. Sir Miles Axlerod even risked the life of the queen, and the only reason he deactivated the bomb was because he was worried about his own safety and life. And in the first movie, Lightning McQueen was a jerk because he treated everybody like they were somehow less than him and like they were all idiots, not because he hated rusty cars. He kept disrespecting Doc and the police car, for instance, and they aren't rusty.

Message: message everybody really overcomplicated in my opinion. Its simply "be yourself and be happy!" I don't know how everybody got that its wrong to ask people to change or you shouldn't improve yourself.

Characters (Mater): Ok, people not liking Mater is based off of opinion, so I can't really deny it. I personally don't have anything against Mater, I think he's rather funny and obviously a very big part of the movie. But hey! If you don't like it, that's ok.

Spy Toy Story: I personally think that it'd actually be kind of traumatic to the kids if they were to see a spy movie with Woody and the gang. It's actually more suiting if McMissile were to shoot a bullet or missile or something; can't say the same for Woody. Also, I don't think the parents would want their kids to see a movie which toys go sneak out to stop a random villian, for example, another toy, or even worse- a person. Wouldn't that scare the little kids knowing that one of their toys may be evil, or that they seek to stop them from whatever they usually do? Additionally, I just don't think it would work if toys were to suddenly be involved in a big spy story...

Along with it being too violent for a G-rated film, that wasn't technically the filmmakers fault- they sought to make a film, and they succeeded.
Quote 0 0
Bonnie
Good grief, why's the forum smooshing a spaced out quote into one solid text block when I try to quote it?

Peace_Love_Pixar wrote:
Villians: I don't think that the villains were unintentionally sympathetic. In the first few minutes of the movie, they killed the first agent and later "killed" Agent Fin McMissile (or however you spell it [tongue]). They then killed the American spy and messed up the race, not to mention that one in I think Italy or France when all those race cars got held up or crashed into each others. And not only that, but they tried to kill McQueen, Mater, and McMissile several times and other cars. If anything, they were really determined to be respected for being lemons, and I think that's what made them very cruel instead. Sir Miles Axlerod even risked the life of the queen, and the only reason he deactivated the bomb was because he was worried about his own safety and life. And in the first movie, Lightning McQueen was a jerk because he treated everybody like they were somehow less than him and like they were all idiots, not because he hated rusty cars. He kept disrespecting Doc and the police car, for instance, and they aren't rusty.

No one said they didn't do bad things. Only that the movie has everyone mocking them for things completely unrelated to those terrible things and establishes that this happens regularly and it acts like this is okay. Like, they don't even build parts for these people, which is either vaguely jerkish or just flat out trying to kill them depending on what exactly they need parts for (darn this universe is confusing). And the movie never stops and has the protagonists realize that maybe being mean to people for things they can't help that aren't harming them is wrong and probably didn't help the situation. And people complain about that, because quite frankly it's kind of horrible.

Also, and this is a full "Haven't seen the movie in a long time and going off reviews, clips, and cruddily done scripts online" disclaimer here, but I'm pretty sure at least part of the reason they become villains in the first place is because of said mocking, and the movie still never condemns it.

Similarly, no one said Lightning was a jerk only because he doesn't like rusty cars. But not liking rusty cars is clearly supposed to be a hit against him (much like how snappy remarks aren't the worst thing Chick Hicks does but they're still mean and set him up as a jerk from the start). It was still a bad thing the movie worked out before the end. But when everyone else does it to a group that isn't involved in the main cast it's okay somehow. 

Quote:
Message: message everybody really overcomplicated in my opinion. Its simply "be yourself and be happy!" I don't know how everybody got that its wrong to ask people to change or you shouldn't improve yourself.

The movie follows the simple dynamic; one majorly screws things up and acts like a total moron, one wants them to stop, and the latter is somehow the one that needs to learn the lesson. And then the movie ends with the former screwing things up again. What else is can be drawn from this, other than "Wanting people to improve is wrong"? Besides the obvious "John Lasseter likes Mater more than Lightning", I mean.

Also this; "He's my best friend." "Then why would you ask him to be someone else?" <----- Implying expecting improvement is somehow asking them to change entirely and is subsequently wrong.

And "Be yourself" is only a good lesson under certain circumstances. For an example, Remy goes through roughly the same thing in his movie. When he does it it works, because the problem truly lied in other people; Remy was not hurting anyone by being a rat that cooked.  Mater, on the other hand, was genuinely hurting people by acting the way he was. Being yourself generally stops being a good thing when it starts messing with others. 

Quote:
Spy Toy Story: I personally think that it'd actually be kind of traumatic to the kids if they were to see a spy movie with Woody and the gang. It's actually more suiting if McMissile were to shoot a bullet or missile or something; can't say the same for Woody. Also, I don't think the parents would want their kids to see a movie which toys go sneak out to stop a random villian, for example, another toy, or even worse- a person. Wouldn't that scare the little kids knowing that one of their toys may be evil, or that they seek to stop them from whatever they usually do? Additionally, I just don't think it would work if toys were to suddenly be involved in a big spy story...

First off, I'd like to establish that I'm not saying Toy Story would make a good spy movie. Only that Cars makes for a really, really awful spy movie. Second, the comparison with the characters doesn't work because you're using the character made for the spy movie instead of a first movie character (it's kind of like saying Monsters, Inc. is more suited for a college movie prequel than Up because one of the O.K. guys fits better in a college movie than Russell; of course they do, they were made for the college movie), and it's extremely likely a new character would be introduced if they for some reason did a spy thing with Toy Story. Also, this is presuming both that it'd need to be a big thing and that guns would need to be involved. 

That said, I'm not sure why we're even comparing to Toy Story. It's irrelevant.

Quote:

Along with it being too violent for a G-rated film, that wasn't technically the filmmakers fault- they sought to make a film, and they succeeded. 

I'm just repeating what I hear. 

Quote 0 0
Jason Noah Patrick
Film, just like any other art form, is subjective. I know a lot of people who just HATE Cars 2... and that's fine. I personally didn't hate it (nor did I love it), but I was entertained throughout and most of the jokes I laughed at.

I do agree thought I think it gets way too much hate though. Its almost as though a lot of people are saying they hate it only because others are saying the same thing, rather than giving their own opinions. (Similar to the general consensus for Michael Bay...)

Now would I rank Cars 2 amongst the greats?! Definitely not, in fact its my second to last favorite (Brave being my least favorite). But I dont think that this is a bad film at all, its just ok.
Quote 0 0
andreas the pixar maniac
I think pretty much all the Things  Bonnie listed is the reason why i dont like this movie i agree with all of the complaints you listed but i would like to say that when i say the movie is awful i mean awful by pixar standards i mean until this movie  came out pixar had never disapointed me  the only otter time thire had disapointed me was with the original cars but even though i was disapointed i still love first movie i even got ectited when i heard therie was going to be a squeal but when i saw the trailer i just got so darn disapointed but i still went to the theatre with an open mind but after only 49 min i almost couldent ´stand to Watch it anymore but i stiil sat thire and hoped that the last part of the movie would be way better than the first part but no the last part of the movie was just as bad as the first part but anyway i would like to that it wasent compltly awful and i did laugh a bit over some of the jokes and the animation was great but over all i just tought it was kinda stupid and cliched
Quote 0 0
Arlo
I don't think Cars 2 is awful by Pixar standards, I think it is very good! And I'm very surprised about the negative responses to this film, I think part of the reason the audience didn't like this film was because it was preceded by three very critically acclaimed films, Wall-E, Up and Toy Story 3, and I'm guessing many thought that this was a step down for Pixar. But I personally really liked it. and Andreas the Pixar maniac, it was cliched but isn't every movie. There were tons of funny parts, and if you had trouble sitting through Cars 2, I don't know what to say but "you should give it another chance". I respect your opinion, but you should try it again. I think that this is one Pixar film that stands out to me, because it is so different, I mean has Pixar ever made a film about spies?! No. And they probably won't after the critical reception of this film, unless Cars 3 follows the same formula as Cars 2, but I doubt that it will, after the negative reaction of the film to critics and audiences. I think there are people out there who agree with me, that Cars 2 is an underrated gem, it isn't Pixar's best, but it certainly is not their worst. Now Planes!!! Yeah sorry Disney I'm not going to defend you for that one! 

But without a doubt , Cars 2 still stands out to me and no matter what others say, I will always love it. John Lasseter, you didn't disappoint me! 
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy