Jason Noah Patrick
So Randy Newman's wonderful score for the first Toy Story is one of my all time favorite film scores! It perfectly emotes the tone of the film! Not only does his score work well with supporting what's happening on screen, but it works just as well as a stand alone listening experience with the Official Soundtrack and probably with the upcoming release of The Legacy Collection: Toy Story.

I've been lucky enough to make some friends who are in "the business" lets say... And one of my friends was generous enough to send me scans of the original handwritten sheet music Newman wrote for all 3 Toy Story films! (Being the die hard Toy Story fan I am, I nearly passed out!)

I thought I would take the time and compile a list of all the cues that were included in the scans I was given. I  have a feeling these scans are from an early cut of the film as there are a couple odd things and unused cues listed here. For example, 1m2 Pixar logo is listed AFTER the beginning of the score. Seeing as Studio Logos appear before the film begins, this is kinda odd, but also in the final cut of the film (excluding the Blu-Ray release) the Pixar logo isn't even in the beginning of the film!

5m1 Pizza Hut is also another reason why I feel that these scans come from an early edit as Pizza Planet was originally going to be a Pizza/Put Put restaurant before being changed into what we know now.

And I don't know about you, but I certainly don't remember anything about a school play in the film as eluded to by cue 3m1-3m2 School Play / I Say We Go

If you guys are confused by the random numbers before the cue names, those are slates. The first number is the film reel. Films are split up into multiple reels, each reel usually lasting 8-12 minutes. The "m" stands for music, and the last number defines where the piece of music belongs in the reel. So for example, 1m1 Opening is in the first reel and is the first cue you hear.

Anyways, I thought some of you might be interested in knowing what the cues for the film are. [smile] If you guys enjoy this sort of thread, then I can make one for Toy Story 2 and 3 as well.

1m1 Opening
1m1 Opening - Revised
1m1a Alive!!
1m2 Andy's Birthday Is Today
1m2 Pixar Logo
1m3 Toys Are Us
1m4 Bad News
1m4a Bo
1m5 Panic
2m1 Soldier's Mission Begins
2m2 Soldier's Revive
2m3 Presents
2m4 Panic Strikes - Revised
2m5 Door
2m6 Buzz Revealed
2m7 Woody VS. Buzz
3m1 Buzz Flies
3m1-3m2 School Play / I Say We Go
3m2 Strange Things Intro
3m3 Sole
3m4 Sid
4m1 Virtual Realty
4m2 Woody Plots
4m3 Ruse Globeburg
4m4 Guilty
4m5-4m6 Hang Together
4m6a Handg Together Reprise
4m7 Buzz Finds Woody
4m8 Friendship Affirmation
4m9 Buzz Speech
4m10 Space Ship
4m11 Piza Ride
5m1 Pizza Hut
5m2 The Claw
5m3-5m4 Dr. Sid
5m5 Mutant Toys
6m1 Woody Gone
6m2 Out The Door
6m3 Skud
6m4x Buzz Ad
6m5 Sailing Intro
7m1 Windows
7m2 Mutants Mend Buzz
7m2a Prelude To The Big One
7m4 Sad Andy
8m1 Friends
8m1a Tool Crate
8m2-8m3 Rescue Plan
8m4 Intor The Bush
9m1 Countdown
9m2 Attack
9m2a celebration
9m3 The Van
9m4 Scud Attack
9m5 Car Jam
9m5a Car Smash
9m6 Just A Dog
9m7 Out Of Gas
10m1 Explo I
10m1a Infinity And Beyond
10m1a Infinity And Beyond - New Insert/Revised
10m2 Christmas
10m3 Credit Roll Intro
10m4 End credits
I Will Go Sailing No More - Long Version
I Will Go Sailing No More - Longer Score
strange Things - Edit
Strange Things - Edit 2
Strange Things  - Record
Strange Things
You've Got A Friend - Edit
You've Got A Friend - Edited Version
You've Got A Friend - Full Version
You've Got A Friend - Print 12

I made an online gallery with a few screenshots in case anyone wants to view them. [smile]
http://imgbox.com/g/znRAFhm5t6
Quote 1 0
Jason Noah Patrick
Another thing to noticed is that a lot of the cue names here are also used for the track names in The Legacy Collection: Toy Story!
Quote 1 0
YodelinCowgirl
This is really interesting!  How lucky for you to be able to get your hands on that stuff.  I'd love to see the ones for Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 when you have the time.  [smile]  
Quote 3 0
Jason Noah Patrick
YodelinCowgirl wrote:
This is really interesting!  How lucky for you to be able to get your hands on that stuff.  I'd love to see the ones for Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 when you have the time.  [smile]  

Sure Thing! I'll try and get them up tomorrow! [smile]
Quote 1 0
YodelinCowgirl
Awesome!  Thanks!  [Big-Grin_zps23ec4c40]
Quote 1 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Wow, those are really neat to see for sure! Count me in for more - I like getting more glimpses at these details, especially anything from Toy Story.

You are also correct that there ins't a mention of a school play elsewhere - but yet again, it's another example of a school play that was eventually cut from a movie. That's three Pixar films that I'm aware of now that had a mention of a play that didn't make it through editing. I wonder why this idea keeps cropping up - is it just because it's so relatable?
Quote 2 0
Jason Noah Patrick
Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:
Wow, those are really neat to see for sure! Count me in for more - I like getting more glimpses at these details, especially anything from Toy Story.

Awesome! Like I said earlier, I'll try and get the cues for the other 2 films up tomorrow. [smile] I also have the score sheets for Monster, Inc. and Cars if anyone is interested in those too!

Toy Story is my life so I try to collect whatever I can! I also have the Cast and Crew CD's for Toy Story 2 & 3, and the original screenplay for the first film that was handed out to voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences!

Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:
You are also correct that there ins't a mention of a school play elsewhere - but yet again, it's another example of a school play that was eventually cut from a movie. That's three Pixar films that I'm aware of now that had a mention of a play that didn't make it through editing. I wonder why this idea keeps cropping up - is it just because it's so relatable?

I'm not familiar with the other examples where a school play was cut from the final film... Which films are they?

Also, I thought about posting a few pics of the scans just so you guys could get a sense of what Randy's Handwritten sheets look like, but I'm not sure if tha'ts crossing some sort of copyright issue or not. :/ Rather be safe than sorry.
Quote 0 0
Pixar Post - T.J.
Jason Noah Patrick wrote:
I'm not familiar with the other examples where a school play was cut from the final film... Which films are they?

There was a scene that was cut from Inside Out called The School Play

From this forum thread - The School Play: A scene cut from the script centered on Riley performing in a school play. Joy is so excited that she steers her into a "social firestorm," embarrassing Riley in front of her classmates. Docter’s team needed to make Joy more likable, though, so this scene was dropped.

Then there was a scene from Monsters University where Mike and Sulley were going to be working on a play.

Also, I thought about posting a few pics of the scans just so you guys could get a sense of what Randy's Handwritten sheets look like, but I'm not sure if tha'ts crossing some sort of copyright issue or not. :/ Rather be safe than sorry.

I understand for sure.
Quote 1 0
Jason Noah Patrick
Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:

There was a scene that was cut from Inside Out called The School Play

From this forum thread - The School Play: A scene cut from the script centered on Riley performing in a school play. Joy is so excited that she steers her into a "social firestorm," embarrassing Riley in front of her classmates. Docter’s team needed to make Joy more likable, though, so this scene was dropped.

Then there was a scene from Monsters University where Mike and Sulley were going to be working on a play.

Oh wow! Definitely didn't know about this! Interesting for sure!

Pixar Post - T.J. wrote:

I understand for sure.[smile_zpsf797a80b]

Well if you guys think it would be ok to post here than I wont have a problem posting a few pics.
Quote 0 0
miafka
Wow, very cool. I actually worked on that score, but don't ask me for details... it was 20 years ago! (can't believe it's been that long), and at the time there was yet no such thing as Pixar as we know it today. I will tell you this though, I remember sitting there at the Sony Scoring Stage (on the old MGM lot) looking at the screen and knowing right then that this would be groundbreaking. Sure enough it was, and we were back again for Bugs Life a few years later. By the way, Sony still has a bunch of John Lasseter's Hawaiian shirts hanging from the rafters.

Really cool you have scans of the cues. Are they of the score, or individual parts?

As for the cue orders, remember, even though making last-minute changes is harder (and costlier) with animation than live action, it does happen. Also, though not always the case, sometimes Pixar will score just a bit of a movie early on, see how it goes, then do more later (not always -- for instance, Inside Out did it the opposite, with 4 days for the bulk, and 1 day at the end to finish up). But I remember we had an early day for Wall-E, and at that point none of the cues had numbers (no 1M1 or 3M26...) they just had temporary names, and Tommy Newman even said something to the effect that at that point in time they weren't sure of the exact order themselves, thus the lack of numbers. Later sessions of course had the numbers once everything had been decided. Pixar really cares about their films, and changes are made as late as possible (such as going back to record a song for the end of Ratatouille instead of score, or going back to change the mood of the score for the scene where Carl's house first takes off in Up).

And of course, as anyone can see from the cue titles, they're major spoilers, which is a good reason to avoid looking at a soundtrack title listing before seeing the movie.

Very neat though, that Disney is releasing their Toy Story Legacy CD. I always felt an option should be out there to buy a complete score, not just the major cues you find on a normal CD today (though of course I'm biased). Who knows, maybe in time all the Pixar scores will get that treatment...
Quote 1 0
Jason Noah Patrick
miafka wrote:
Wow, very cool. I actually worked on that score, but don't ask me for details... it was 20 years ago! (can't believe it's been that long), and at the time there was yet no such thing as Pixar as we know it today. I will tell you this though, I remember sitting there at the Sony Scoring Stage (on the old MGM lot) looking at the screen and knowing right then that this would be groundbreaking. Sure enough it was, and we were back again for Bugs Life a few years later. By the way, Sony still has a bunch of John Lasseter's Hawaiian shirts hanging from the rafters.

Aw that sucks you cant remember. Would love to hear some behind the scenes from someone who worked on my favorite Pixar score. But I certainly understand especially it being 20 years ago.

And I remember seeing the Hawaiian shirts when I watched the B-Roll for the recording sessions of Toy Story 3.

miafka wrote:
Really cool you have scans of the cues. Are they of the score, or individual parts?

Yeah I got really lucky with having a friend who was generous enough to send them! As far as I can tell its of the entire score and not individual parts.

miafka wrote:
As for the cue orders, remember, even though making last-minute changes is harder (and costlier) with animation than live action, it does happen. Also, though not always the case, sometimes Pixar will score just a bit of a movie early on, see how it goes, then do more later (not always -- for instance, Inside Out did it the opposite, with 4 days for the bulk, and 1 day at the end to finish up). But I remember we had an early day for Wall-E, and at that point none of the cues had numbers (no 1M1 or 3M26...) they just had temporary names, and Tommy Newman even said something to the effect that at that point in time they weren't sure of the exact order themselves, thus the lack of numbers. Later sessions of course had the numbers once everything had been decided. Pixar really cares about their films, and changes are made as late as possible (such as going back to record a song for the end of Ratatouille instead of score, or going back to change the mood of the score for the scene where Carl's house first takes off in Up).

Interesting about Wall-E... It almost sounds like Thomas Newman just wrote a couple themes not knowing where to place them in the film.

miafka wrote:
And of course, as anyone can see from the cue titles, they're major spoilers, which is a good reason to avoid looking at a soundtrack title listing before seeing the movie.

Yeah but its a necessary evil in my book. [tongue]

miafka wrote:
Very neat though, that Disney is releasing their Toy Story Legacy CD. I always felt an option should be out there to buy a complete score, not just the major cues you find on a normal CD today (though of course I'm biased). Who knows, maybe in time all the Pixar scores will get that treatment...

I'm the same way! I wish studios would just release the complete score in general... A lot of my favorite scores tend to leave out my favorite cues from the official album. Or they have the cue you want, but its rearranged, or they cut out a few bits from that one cue. Theres a cue from Disney's 1999 Tarzan adaptation where they literally cut out about 2 seconds of a percussion piece for the OST. My first thought was maybe they had to cut it down for time... but I don't think 2 seconds would've helped as much.
Quote 1 0
Jason Noah Patrick
Updated the first post with a link to an online gallery containing 18 screenshots from the sheets.
Quote 0 0
Name

A Bug's Life,3,Aaron Hartline,2,Adrian Molina,3,Alan Barillaro,7,Albert Lozano,1,Alex Mandel,1,Andrea Warren,2,Andrew Gordon,3,Andrew Stanton,46,Angelique Reisch,3,Angus MacLane,32,App Review,6,Art,31,Art of Animation Resort,5,Artists Help Japan,8,Austin Madison,4,Awards,51,Bing Bong,1,Blu-Ray,40,Bob Peterson,17,Bob Whitehill,2,Bobby Podesta,1,Book Review,43,Brad Bird,13,Brave,140,BREAKING News,34,Brian Fee,4,Buzz Lightyear,10,Car Toons,2,Cars,63,Cars 2,15,Cars 3,14,Cars Land,34,Cars Toons,11,Chris Chua,1,Chris Sasaki,1,Christine Freeman,1,Coco,16,Contest,11,Craig Foster,1,Custom Pixar Gear,6,D23,23,Dan Scanlon,67,Daniel Arriaga,2,Danielle Feinberg,4,Darla Anderson,4,Dave Mullins,1,Deleted Scene,2,Denise Ream,5,Dia de los Muertos,7,Dice Tsutsumi,7,Die Cast Cars,21,Director's Commentary,9,Disney California Adventure,25,Disney Cruise,3,Disney Infinity,43,Disney Infinity 2.0,6,Disney Infinity 3.0,15,Disney Infinity Next,1,Disney Interactive,1,Disney Movies Anywhere,4,Disney World,24,Disneyland,18,Disneyland Paris,8,Easter Eggs,32,Ed Catmull,26,Enrico Casarosa,20,Erik Smitt,1,Everett Downing,1,Exclusive,11,Fan Art,28,Finding Dory,86,Finding Nemo,23,Forum,3,Fun Facts,4,Galyn Susman,6,Giveaway,3,Google Hangout,2,Hawaiian Vacation,2,Hidden Items,2,Imagineering,3,Inside Out,145,Interview,25,James Ford Murphy,12,Jamie Roe,1,Jason Deamer,1,Jason Johnston,2,Jay Ward,5,Jeff Danna,2,Jerome Ranft,1,Jim Capobianco,3,Jim Morris,3,John Lasseter,56,Jon Reisch,1,Jonas Rivera,25,Jonathan Pytko,2,Josh Cooley,17,Juliet Roth,1,Kelsey Mann,12,Kevin O'Hara,1,Knick Knack,2,Kori Rae,13,La Luna,18,Laura Meyer,2,Lava,18,Lee Unkrich,22,Lighting McQueen,8,Lindsey Collins,6,Lou,1,Luxo Jr.,2,Mahyar Abousaeedi,1,Marc Greenberg,1,Marc Sondheimer,1,Mark Andrews,36,Mark Walsh,34,Matt Jones,3,Matthew Luhn,2,Merida,11,Michael B. Johnson,2,Michael Giacchino,15,Michal Makarewicz,6,Mike Venturini,1,Monsters Inc,40,Monsters University,171,Motorama,2,Movie Review,12,Mychael Danna,4,Newt,1,Party Central,11,Partysaurus Rex,45,Patrick Lin,2,Paul Abadilla,7,Pete Docter,98,Peter Sohn,32,Piper,9,Pixar Animation Studios,76,Pixar Archives,2,Pixar Canada,14,Pixar Concept Art,29,Pixar In A Box,1,Pixar Minute,4,Pixar Pipeline Project,8,Pixar Post Book Club,12,Pixar Post Record,1,Pixar Shorts,104,Pixar Studio Story,2,Pixar Toys,41,Pizza Planet Truck,1,Podcast,51,Presto,1,Products,174,Products - A Bug's Life,6,Products - Brave,29,Products - Cars,20,Products - Cars 2,7,Products - Finding Dory,8,Products - Finding Nemo,5,Products - Inside Out,14,Products - Monsters Inc,15,Products - Monsters University,22,Products - Ratatouille,6,Products - Shorts & TV Specials,45,Products - The Good Dinosaur,7,Products - The Incredibles,7,Products - Toy Story,19,Products - Toy Story 2,5,Products - Toy Story 3,2,Products - Up,7,Products - WALL-E,7,Radiator Springs,7,Ralph Eggleston,5,Randy Newman,4,Ratatouille,18,RenderMan,4,Review,12,Ricky Nierva,4,Riley's First Date,5,Rob Thompson,1,Robert Kondo,5,Ronnie Del Carmen,6,Sandra Karpman,1,Sanjay Patel,12,Sanjay's Super Team,17,Saschka Unseld,30,Sharon Calahan,4,Shawn Krause,1,Small Fry,3,Soundtrack,36,Steve Jobs,5,Steve Purcell,18,Store - Amazon,42,Store - App Store,9,Store - Best Buy,1,Store - Disney Store,25,Store - eBay,5,Store - Hallmark,1,Store - iTunes,41,Store - Target,9,Store - Toys R Us,1,Tales From Radiator Springs,4,Teddy Newton,2,The Blue Umbrella,39,The Good Dinosaur,91,The Incredibles,15,The Incredibles 2,12,Thomas Newman,3,To Protect and Serve,4,Tony DeRose,1,Tony Fucile,1,Toy Review,18,Toy Story,75,Toy Story 3,1,Toy Story 4,20,Toy Story of Terror,37,Toy Story That Time Forgot,24,Trailer,83,Type - Books,6,Type - Clothing,2,Type - Collectibles,17,Type - Holiday,2,Type - Pins,1,Type - Plush,6,Type - Toys,15,UP,11,VanArts,5,Victor Navone,1,Video Games,44,Vinylmation,9,Wall-e,15,
ltr
static_page
Pixar Post: Contact / About Us
Contact / About Us
Pixar Post Contact and Support
Pixar Post
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/
https://www.pixarpost.com/p/contact-us-about.html
true
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy